SportsWrath

Sacks

Allstarjim

Eli has been sacked 14 times this year. Tied for 6th worst in the league. Just ahead of him, Roethlisberger and Cutler have been sacked 15 times, and their lines are widely known to be a sieve. While Eli is getting pressured all the time, he's still putting up spectacular numbers. But the other thing is we are 29th out of 32 teams in rushing yards/carry. We are the NY Giants. This can't happen. There's no short term solution, unfortunately, but...

Pascoe needs to replace Hynoski as the starting FB. Hynoski can still get in there, I like him as a receiving option, actually, he does have some skill. But he's missing too many blocks and it's a big problem.

Baas needs to get healthy in a hurry. He's been the best O-lineman this year, and the whole offense is struggling without him. The other guys I suspect are dinged up and it's affecting their play. When Baas returns, perhaps Boothe at LG needs to be tried from time to time, at least to give Diehl a breather. Maybe Stacy Andrews needs to get some snaps at RT, too. I just don't know. They just need to jumpstart the running game, whatever it takes. If that means lighting a fire under someone's ass so be it.

Play-calling is the other thing they can do. Start throwing the ball more. They've had success throwing to running backs this year. Ahmad Bradshaw already has 17 catches for 146 yards this year. Maybe they need to adopt a little West Coast passing offense for a bit to get that 8th guy out of the box. If the run isn't there, then you have to hurt them with the passing game.

But mainly, the guys up front have to play better, and especially the FB.

I think they're trying to weather the storm with Hynoski. He'll get better - and they're gambling that with playing time now he'll get better fast enough to be useful later this season. He's definitely got more raw talent than any NYG fullback since Charles Way. He's also blown far too many blocks this season.

I posted some sack numbers in another thread, where we were comparing Romo & Eli.... oddly enough, through 4 games, the Giants offensive line had performed markedly worse than the Cowboys line. I didn't see anything yesterday to give me optimism about the Giants protection. Its been bad, and yesterday might have been the worst yet.

I think on the safety it was just poor play design though. I saw Ballard trying to block down on the Seahawks defensive tackle, and he had no chance to get there before the DT got upfield, It was just ridiculous to pull both Snee and McKenzie and abandon the A gap that close to their own endzone. Either Snee fucked up, Hynoski was supposed to take the gap, or it was just the dumbest play design ever... and I'm leaning toward the latter.

I think on the safety it was just poor play design though. I saw Ballard trying to block down on the Seahawks defensive tackle, and he had no chance to get there before the DT got upfield, It was just ridiculous to pull both Snee and McKenzie and abandon the A gap that close to their own endzone. Either Snee fucked up, Hynoski was supposed to take the gap, or it was just the dumbest play design ever... and I'm leaning toward the latter.

hmmm? I must admit, that play was a good 130 yards away from me ( we are in the other end zone ). I really didn't get a great look at it and have not yet forced myself to sit down and watch the TV broadcast.

Banks in the post game took a very different view though and put this all on the players.

regardless, this was a real shit show.

hmmm? I must admit, that play was a good 130 yards away from me ( we are in the other end zone ). I really didn't get a great look at it and have not yet forced myself to sit down and watch the TV broadcast.

Banks in the post game took a very different view though and put this all on the players.

regardless, this was a real shit show.

On that play its very possible somebody missed an assignment... but if so, whoever it was wildly, wildly missed it.

Maybe it was Boothe, maybe he was supposed to get some friction there, no way should a DT be given a clean release like that, especially right down at your own goal line.

But it sure looks like the TE is reaching for the DT... it looks so deliberate, and the Giants run plays like that all the time; TE blocks down, Guard & tackle pull - its a staple of their running game, and they work great as long as the defensive tackles are playing gap control.

But at the goal line or in short yardage, when everyone on D is trying to get in the backfield, its a damn foolish play call. Even without a missed assignment.

Eli has been sacked 14 times this year. Tied for 6th worst in the league. Just ahead of him, Roethlisberger and Cutler have been sacked 15 times, and their lines are widely known to be a sieve. While Eli is getting pressured all the time, he's still putting up spectacular numbers. But the other thing is we are 29th out of 32 teams in rushing yards/carry. We are the NY Giants. This can't happen. There's no short term solution, unfortunately, but...

Pascoe needs to replace Hynoski as the starting FB. Hynoski can still get in there, I like him as a receiving option, actually, he does have some skill. But he's missing too many blocks and it's a big problem.

Baas needs to get healthy in a hurry. He's been the best O-lineman this year, and the whole offense is struggling without him. The other guys I suspect are dinged up and it's affecting their play. When Baas returns, perhaps Boothe at LG needs to be tried from time to time, at least to give Diehl a breather. Maybe Stacy Andrews needs to get some snaps at RT, too. I just don't know. They just need to jumpstart the running game, whatever it takes. If that means lighting a fire under someone's ass so be it.

Play-calling is the other thing they can do. Start throwing the ball more. They've had success throwing to running backs this year. Ahmad Bradshaw already has 17 catches for 146 yards this year. Maybe they need to adopt a little West Coast passing offense for a bit to get that 8th guy out of the box. If the run isn't there, then you have to hurt them with the passing game.

But mainly, the guys up front have to play better, and especially the FB.

The O-line play is a Jekyll and Hyde thing. On one play there's four guys busting through, and an another Eli is going to his fourth read, then back to his first because he has all day back there. They need more consistency.

Its been umm interesting. I've never seen this many defensive linemen burst through our offensive line untouched. Its been a minimum of one per game. They are blowing past a different guy every week. The running game is non-existent. I see Eli holding onto the ball just a little bit longer at this point in the season than in previous years. He's putting up the numbers and he's getting hit for his troubles.

Running game has to get on track.

No one is getting free on short routes. And the long ones take time to develop. That long pass to Ballard on the first drive took 10 minutes. There seems to be no gap receiver in the bunch. So, Eli has to hold the ball until something develops. He missed Jacobs, who seems a more viable receiver than Bradshaw.