SportsWrath

Right Now: Redskins First Team Out Against Ravens First Team

Zelmo

Under two minutes to go in the first half. So according to many people on this board this would by now make Tom Coughlin, Lovie Smith, Mike Shanahan, and John Harbaugh all complete idiots.

And don't try to tell me seriously that since it's the third game of the preseason for these teams, suddenly it's okay. I know teams keep players in for longer as the pre-season moves along, but seriously, everyone here should be ripping every head coach. Don't tell me last week it's a crime to play TT the last two minutes of the first half but a week later it'll be okay to play veterans in the third quarter.

Seriously, lay off Tom Coughlin. Ed Reed is out there for God's sake. And they're blitzing as well!

-Z

It get's better!!! The Ravens just got the ball back with 51 seconds and NO timeouts and they have Flacco out there trying to score...And guess what? The Redskins have their starters out there.

Idiots all of them.

-Z

Are you drinking? I don't care if every damn coach in the NFL does it (they don't)... it doesn't mean I have to agree with it. Sorry if I'm tired of losing critical players for the season in meaningless games.

And the horsepoo about them needing to get into game shape at this point is exactly that, horsepoo. We're talking vets here. As I said, there is no good rationalization for it.

Are you drinking? I don't care if every damn coach in the NFL does it (they don't)... it doesn't mean I have to agree with it. Sorry if I'm tired of losing critical players for the season in meaningless games.

And the horsepoo about them needing to get into game shape at this point is exactly that, horsepoo. We're talking vets here. As I said, there is no good rationalization for it.

A player gets hurt in the preseaon all you hear is "HURRR DURRR WE DONT NEED A PRESEASON!!!!!"

A player gets hurt in the beginning of the regular season "DUUURRRR WE SHOULD HAVE MORE PRESEASON GAMES SO THEY CAN GET READY!!!!"

It happens every season.

A player gets hurt in the preseaon all you hear is "HURRR DURRR WE DONT NEED A PRESEASON!!!!!"

A player gets hurt in the beginning of the regular season "DUUURRRR WE SHOULD HAVE MORE PRESEASON GAMES SO THEY CAN GET READY!!!!"

It happens every season.

I have never said that and I haven't heard anyone say that. I know this, my philosophy on preseason games is a valid one, and is employed by other teams (that want to win the games that count).

Just to be clear, BiC, I have no problem with guys like JPP, Marvin Austin, or say, Victor Cruz getting a lot of work in preseason games. It's the veterans that already know the system, know what they are doing, where the additional snaps they would get has much, much less value comparative to the younger players. People say a lot of stupid stuff about conditioning, too. Just because there was no camp or OTA's doesn't mean the veterans weren't conditioning themselves for a season, and doesn't mean they aren't in "game shape", which I don't even really know what that means. If you have kept your body in peak physical condition, you are in "game shape." The vast majority of these players have done that, because they are professionals, and those that haven't don't deserve to start. Plus, a lot of these guys were doing work with Eli before the agreement in practices. Others were working out with other NFL players or on their own. As far as rhythm goes, you have a quarter in each preseason game to work on that, AND that's what practice is for, as well. They are pros, they will make sure they put the work in to be ready for week 1, a half dozen more reps, or even 2 more series per game isn't going to make a significant impact for the veterans in terms of their readiness. To suggest otherwise is either being intentionally disingenuous or just simply being ignorant.

The only significant impact you are likely to get out of a preseason game for the regular season is losing a player or players like Terrell Thomas. Get them the bare minimum work, and get them out.

Lol not drinking....just thought it was funny to see the Skins and Ravens battling out the first half of a preseason game, literally to the last second, with their starters, considering everything that people were saying here.

-Z

Under two minutes to go in the first half. So according to many people on this board this would by now make Tom Coughlin, Lovie Smith, Marty Shottenheimer, and John Harbaugh all complete idiots.

And don't try to tell me seriously that since it's the third game of the preseason for these teams, suddenly it's okay. I know teams keep players in for longer as the pre-season moves along, but seriously, everyone here should be ripping every head coach. Don't tell me last week it's a crime to play TT the last two minutes of the first half but a week later it'll be okay to play veterans in the third quarter.

Seriously, lay off Tom Coughlin. Ed Reed is out there for God's sake. And they're blitzing as well!

-Z

Anyone who criticizes Coughlin for having starters out there when TT got injured is a fucking moron. There is no better way to say it. They are fucking ignorant morons who would be the same ones bitching and moaning when a defense wasn't performing in week 2 because the coach didn't let the defense gel in the preseason. They are the type of simple minded mongos who will criticize ANY decision that doesn't work because they are fucking stupid.

Anyone who criticizes Coughlin for having starters out there when TT got injured is a fucking moron. There is no better way to say it. They are fucking ignorant morons who would be the same ones bitching and moaning when a defense wasn't performing in week 2 because the coach didn't let the defense gel in the preseason. They are the type of simple minded mongos who will criticize ANY decision that doesn't work because they are fucking stupid.

I disagree. I don't believe a CB blitz with 30 seconds left on the clock makes TT gel any more with the defense, bro.

I disagree. I don't believe a CB blitz with 30 seconds left on the clock makes TT gel any more with the defense, bro.

A CB blitz is a rarely called defense. But when run well it is a huge defensive play. Getting your players accustomed to it in a real live game could be the difference between success or failure in the real reason. Having a DE and a CB run into eachother is not expected on any play. There is nothing to be lost in calling what is a high risk defensive call except getting your players aware of how it could go down.

A CB blitz is a rarely called defense. But when run well it is a huge defensive play. Getting your players accustomed to it in a real live game could be the difference between success or failure in the real reason. Having a DE and a CB run into eachother is not expected on any play. There is nothing to be lost in calling what is a high risk defensive call except getting your players aware of how it could go down.

Sorry, I think that's a piss poor argument. For the point in time of the game and the fact it's the 2nd preseason game, you're taking a veteran CB, who we definitely already know is our best blitzing corner and arguably our best corner in general, .and putting him at risk for injury when he needs minimal work on his blitzing in the first place. You're right, you can't foresee JPP getting around his man and running into Thomas but why even bother putting Thomas in that position anyway? Sit back in tight coverage and rush your front four.

Sorry, I think that's a piss poor argument. For the point in time of the game and the fact it's the 2nd preseason game, you're taking a veteran CB, who we definitely already know is our best blitzing corner and arguably our best corner in general, .and putting him at risk for injury when he needs minimal work on his blitzing in the first place. You're right, you can't foresee JPP getting around his man and running into Thomas but why even bother putting Thomas in that position anyway? Sit back in tight coverage and rush your front four.

Agreed.

I understand the need for guys to get reps, etc. But it's also common practice to stick with vanilla stuff.

It get's better!!! The Ravens just got the ball back with 51 seconds and NO timeouts and they have Flacco out there trying to score...And guess what? The Redskins have their starters out there.

Idiots all of them.

-z

Don't you know it's the " BATTLE OF THE BELTWAY"

BTW which team are the Donkeys and which team and such team arr the Elephants?

And he tears something running or breaking up a pass. All this hypothetical is pointless. You can't fault a coach for injuries no matter when they happen.