SportsWrath

The Pessimism Thread

Allstarjim

I've been accused of being overly homerific before. So, going into the season, I'm going to share some bad vibes I have that could undermine a playoff berth. Nothing here pertains to the defense, that I think is going to be stout and has nice depth at just about every position. I'm not even worried about the linebacker play, as I believe Goff has made and is making big strides.

But here we go... Tight End is a mess. I think Coach Pope is the best TE coach in the NFL. But that doesn't mean he's a miracle worker. Beckum is more like a slow WR. I don't even know why they are calling him a TE. He can not, at Coach Pope's own admission, play next to a Tackle and block. He is almost exclusively a slot guy, or n H Back... so he's just a receiver. Why even do that? I would just let Pascoe and Hynoski play more snaps, and only bring Beckum out when there is obvious passing situations. Regardless, I was a little encouraged with Pascoe's play against Carolina, but nobody is going to confuse him with a seam-busting TE.

Health in the receiving corps and running backs are also a big concern for me. We've seen it in the pass when Eli doesn't have that big play receiver on the field, he struggles. Hakeem Nicks' health is arguably, outside of Eli Manning, the most important of any player on the team, but especially on Offense.

Then you have Bradshaw and Jacobs, who have battled injuries all their own. When Jacobs is protecting a knee that is a little shaky, he doesn't run with the same commitment. Hopefully Bradshaw's feet will be healthy this year, because if we don't have both of those guys, then we are going to struggle running the football. And if that happens, the defense is going to have to play lights out.

Speaking of Bradshaw, if he doesn't figure out that fumbling problem, he again is going to cost us games. Here's hoping he can keep the fumbles under 5.

And I'm not even going to talk about the Special Teams, who better show some improvement tonight. Punt coverage remains a huge question mark. I do expect the actual Punter play to be much improved though, although at this point there's only one way to go.

I see 10-6 at worst. Not being a homer, I honestly see that. Sometimes I think some of you are pessimistic so you dont look bad if they do fail. Playing it safe. :rolleyes:

We have one of the best receiving corps in the league with legitamite #1 WR, top 5 secondary unit, if not top 3, a very good QB, and a run game that has to be taken into consideration, fumbles or not. The Dline is best in the league, esp. at DE and like already mentioned, our LB corps isnt too bad. The only real problem I see is at TE and special teams, but I think Pascoe will do just fine and hopefully Hixon reignites the return game.

It will be the same formula that it is every year under Coughlin, Super Bowl run notwithstanding.

1. Start the year 6-2. Everybody loves you. Feel good about yourselves.

2. Read your own press clippings. Congratulations, it's November but you've already won the Super Bowl. Time to slack off.

3. Start blowing games. Have your QB start his annual mid-season slump. Inexplicably lose a game each on horrific coaching decisions, mind-numbingly bad special teams, and total defensive collapses. Have the coaches make no strategy or personnel changes.

4.Split the last eight games if you're lucky; if you're unlucky, go 2-6.

5. Limp into the playoffs somewhere between 8-8 and 10-6. Lose in the first round to the Eagles or Panthers.

6. Rinse and repeat.