SportsWrath

Who do we draft?

HOUND

If Lavar becomes a Giant suddenly outside linebacker isn't nearly the priority it was, factor in the Short signing too.

That being said, who then becomes the targeted player?

Do we go Offensive Tackle?

Some have said WR.

Do we grab one of the corners?

What is DeAngelo Williams or Lendale White is available?

Do we take the highest rated DT? Likely Gabe Watson.

Thoughts?

With most major needs filled I think that allows us to go strictly BPA which is the best option. I'd prefer we look to the defensive side of the ball, but if a Deangello Williams or Chad Jackson is available I think you have to take them

agreed. although i think the strategy should be the same, regardless of what happens to arrington.

With most major needs filled I think that allows us to go strictly BPA which is the best option. I'd prefer we look to the defensive side of the ball, but if a Deangello Williams or Chad Jackson is available I think you have to take them

:doh:

Call me crazy, but isn't our biggest need defense?

:doh:

Call me crazy, but isn't our biggest need defense?

Yes... What does that have to do with my post? I said I think most of our major needs have been addressed (assuming Lavar signs) to the point where we dont need to worry about drafting on the basis of need which is a poor idea.

Yes... What does that have to do with my post? I said I think most of our major needs have been addressed (assuming Lavar signs) to the point where we dont need to worry about drafting on the basis of need which is a poor idea.

I think regarless if we sign LaVar Arrington, we need to go defense in the first round. I was thinking we should go LB, DB, DT and than maybe LT. But RB and WR is without question the last 2 position we need right now.

-I understand if Tiki goes down we're in big trouble. But you actually believe a rookie RB can replace Tiki? I seriously doubt there's a RB in this draft (besides R. Bush) who can do that. Our best bet is to stick with Jacobs and see what the kid got. If doesn't do the job, than obvious we need to look into getting a RB next year.

-WR...Why? why? why? why do people think we need a WR? Yes, Anami is getting old, and T. Carter and J. Taylor have pan out. But one of the main reason for that is because we are stack in other positions. The 3rd WR is our last option in this offense. Think about it...Plaxico Burress, Tiki Barber, Jeremy Shockey, Amani Toomer...all these player come before our 3rd reciever. There's just not enought beall to go around.

I think regarless if we sign LaVar Arrington, we need to go defense in the first round. I was thinking we should go LB, DB, DT and than maybe LT. But RB and WR is without question the last 2 position we need right now.

-I understand if Tiki goes down we're in big trouble. But you actually believe a rookie RB can replace Tiki? I seriously doubt there's a RB in this draft (besides R. Bush) who can do that. Our best bet is to stick with Jacobs and see what the kid got. If doesn't do the job, than obvious we need to look into getting a RB next year.

-WR...Why? why? why? why do people think we need a WR? Yes, Anami is getting old, and T. Carter and J. Taylor have pan out. But one of the main reason for that is because we are stack in other positions. The 3rd WR is our last option in this offense. Think about it...Plaxico Burress, Tiki Barber, Jeremy Shockey, Amani Toomer...all these player come before our 3rd reciever. There's just not enought beall to go around.

I don't like drafting by need. Look at RB like the Chiefs drafting Larry Johnson, sure he didn't do anything for them the first few years but now the Chiefs are reaping the rewards of taking the best player available a few years back. Everything being equal I'd rather draft a defensive player, but if an offensive player like Chad Jackson or Deangello Williams is available its much better taking a very good offensive prospect than a good defensive prospect.

Besides if we are counting on a rookie defensive player (especially LB) to get us over the top and into the superbowl we are in trouble. Its rare to see any rookie make that kind of difference on a team. So take the best player available for the furture regardless of position and fill the rest of the needs with proven free agents.

Regardless of whether or not we sign Arringtion, we go with BPA. Here's by breakdown of BPA at 25:

WR: Unless Jackson or Holmes we pass on WR.

DT: Bunkley and Ngata will be long gone. Only possible DT is Gabe Watson but I think there are just too many question marks surrounding this guy to justify the risk, especially given the talent that should be available.

RB: I think if Deangelo Williams is available, he deserves some serious consideration, everyone else gets a pass.

OT: Maybe. Personally I think we can draft a solid LT in rounds 2-4 and get a defensive player.

CB: If Cromartie falls to us (unlikely) he'd at least be the player w/ the most potential left in the draft and would be a solid pick. Other corners to consider, J. Joseph, Hill, Youboty, Richard Marshall, Kelly Jennings.

LB: Given the quality of LB's, even if we sign LA, I think we'd be dumb to pass on this group. Emmons is close to being done, Lavar had major knee issues, Torbor's still developing, Brandon Short is a backup... We have issues here, LA or not and it's more than likely that one of the Greenway, Carpenter and Ryans trio will be available for us. I still think one of these guys is the way to go even if we sign Lavar. I think the safest one out of those guys is Ryans.

I don't like drafting by need. Look at RB like the Chiefs drafting Larry Johnson, sure he didn't do anything for them the first few years but now the Chiefs are reaping the rewards of taking the best player available a few years back. Everything being equal I'd rather draft a defensive player, but if an offensive player like Chad Jackson or Deangello Williams is available its much better taking a very good offensive prospect than a good defensive prospect.

Besides if we are counting on a rookie defensive player (especially LB) to get us over the top and into the superbowl we are in trouble. Its rare to see any rookie make that kind of difference on a team. So take the best player available for the furture regardless of position and fill the rest of the needs with proven free agents.

I totally agree with you. You are absolutely correct. C'mon man, we're Giants fans, we are the very Defenession of drafting the best available player. (Lawrence Taylor) But, if we look into the future, there's two position I think we will need to address. And that is DB and LT....I say we take the best avialable players at that position, let them sit the pine for a few year and watch them blossom right before our eyes.

Watson or Cromartie. No one else is really a solid option. Winston and Moss just aren't round 1 material, while Jackson and Holmes will probably be off the board. DeAngelo Williams? Not happening with our current RB situation.

In other words, if the Giants get LaVar ... they swing for the fences.

Guest Floyd The Barber

it has become scary...

its has become Windex clear...

that you posters are clueless to the current state of the NYG's...

it wouldnt matter if they signed 12 FA LB's this offseason...you guys think signing a few FA guys that "may" address the immediate is enough to alter the plan that the franchise is trying to set forward for the future ?? i suggest you stick to Madden Football 2006...

they have a need, a need for franchise LB's, DT's and DB's, and a draft rich in them, they must ACT ACCORDINGLY and select 2/3 per position from this years draft...

I've been saying all along that we'll go LB in round 1, DT in round 2, CB in round 3 and WR in round 4. Now, because of the acquisitions we've made to the secondary, I'm really beginning to think WR might get pushed up to round 3 and CB down to round 4. And now with the signing of Brandon Short and the assumption this thread is making that we sign Arrington, I think DT might be moved up to round 1.

All this goes out the window if one of the top rated players in the draft drops to us at 25.

it has become scary...

its has become Windex clear...

that you posters are clueless to the current state of the NYG's...

it wouldnt matter if they signed 12 FA LB's this offseason...you guys think signing a few FA guys that "may" address the immediate is enough to alter the plan that the franchise is trying to set forward for the future ?? i suggest you stick to Madden Football 2006...

they have a need, a need for franchise LB's, DT's and DB's, and a draft rich in them, they must ACT ACCORDINGLY and select 2/3 per position from this years draft...

This is hardly a deep Defensive Tackle draft class.

Watson or Cromartie. No one else is really a solid option. Winston and Moss just aren't round 1 material, while Jackson and Holmes will probably be off the board. DeAngelo Williams? Not happening with our current RB situation.

The more and more I think about it, Im beginning to think that Watson might be worth taking the risk on in the 1st round. I think having someone like Strahan as a linemate is priceless in terms of learning the intangibles. Osi says that he would be nowhere near this good if he didnt have a mentor like Strahan to teach him the valuable lesson of putting in the extra work -- whether its weightroom, film, etc. I think that playing for a defensive line as good as ours, that has SB aspirations, would rub off on anybody and that Watson might actually be motivated to give good effort. In which case, he could be the dominating DT that would make our DLine the undeniable best in football.

I'd be OK with Cromartie. I really don't think either of the top wideouts will be there which is fine by me as I'm not interested in going there round 1.

I think DeAngelo Williams will be there but I don't think we'll select him. I like the kid but the coaching staff still doesn't know what they have in Jacobs.

I disagree that Winston isn't first round material. He's the highest rated Miami Offensive Lineman since Bryant McKinnie. He's solid in all phases of the game. I'd be happy if we took him at 25. I really want the Giants to address LT on the first day. Besdies that, I'm OK with every other pick being on the defensive side of tha ball if needed.

I still think there's a handful of players I'd prefer over Watson in round 1. I also think he's more of a gamble than Winston is.

I totally agree with you. You are absolutely correct. C'mon man, we're Giants fans, we are the very Defenession of drafting the best available player. (Lawrence Taylor) But, if we look into the future, there's two position I think we will need to address. And that is DB and LT....I say we take the best avialable players at that position, let them sit the pine for a few year and watch them blossom right before our eyes.

Yeah I think we agree more than we disagree. You just want to see the best defensive player available taken, and I'm not worried about what position it is as long as it is a good player.

If Lavar becomes a Giant suddenly outside linebacker isn't nearly the priority it was, factor in the Short signing too.

That being said, who then becomes the targeted player?

Do we go Offensive Tackle?

Some have said WR.

Do we grab one of the corners?

What is DeAngelo Williams or Lendale White is available?

Do we take the highest rated DT? Likely Gabe Watson.

Thoughts?

I guess if Lavar Signed I would try to go after the Best DT or CB I could

come up with. I still would persue a LB and LT or WR would be a strong interest

in later rounds.

A reality check is in order!!

Our remaining DT's are Fred Robbins / William Joseph / Damaine Ducket

this group isnt what I call scary!!

Now maybe we sign jackson or a FA but even so its a weak group.

Sign a DT , LB, CB not neccessarily in that order rounds 1 - 3

and then go after LT WR CB or LB ( 4, 5 and 7)

I hope the giants pick out of 6 picks 4 defensive players !

:rock:

If Lavar is signed i think we should trade up to try to grab a godd DT.

Maybe our 1st pick, 4th pick, and Torbor or blackburn for a spot in the 10-15 range.

Then in the 2nd round draft OLB

3rd: OT Jeremy Trueblood

5th: QB/Rb/Wr/Safety Micheal Robinson, he can play any of those positions.

7th: Wr

Then take that lb from VT who's in the supplemental draft, i forgot his name. :TU:

Guest Floyd The Barber
If Lavar is signed i think we should trade up to try to grab a godd DT.

Maybe our 1st pick, 4th pick, and Torbor or blackburn for a spot in the 10-15 range.

Then in the 2nd round draft OLB

3rd: OT Jeremy Trueblood

5th: QB/Rb/Wr/Safety Micheal Robinson, he can play any of those positions.

7th: Wr

Then take that lb from VT who's in the supplemental draft, i forgot his name. :TU:

sure...

I'd be OK with Cromartie. I really don't think either of the top wideouts will be there which is fine by me as I'm not interested in going there round 1.

I think DeAngelo Williams will be there but I don't think we'll select him. I like the kid but the coaching staff still doesn't know what they have in Jacobs.

I disagree that Winston isn't first round material. He's the highest rated Miami Offensive Lineman since Bryant McKinnie. He's solid in all phases of the game. I'd be happy if we took him at 25. I really want the Giants to address LT on the first day. Besdies that, I'm OK with every other pick being on the defensive side of tha ball if needed.

I still think there's a handful of players I'd prefer over Watson in round 1. I also think he's more of a gamble than Winston is.

Winston has far less upside than Watson has. Plus, I highyl doubt the Giants use their top pick on an offensive players. All indications are that they will concentrate on defense, with or without Arrington in the fold...

Regardless of whether or not we sign Arringtion, we go with BPA. Here's by breakdown of BPA at 25:

WR: Unless Jackson or Holmes we pass on WR.

DT: Bunkley and Ngata will be long gone. Only possible DT is Gabe Watson but I think there are just too many question marks surrounding this guy to justify the risk, especially given the talent that should be available.

RB: I think if Deangelo Williams is available, he deserves some serious consideration, everyone else gets a pass.

OT: Maybe. Personally I think we can draft a solid LT in rounds 2-4 and get a defensive player.

CB: If Cromartie falls to us (unlikely) he'd at least be the player w/ the most potential left in the draft and would be a solid pick. Other corners to consider, J. Joseph, Hill, Youboty, Richard Marshall, Kelly Jennings.

LB: Given the quality of LB's, even if we sign LA, I think we'd be dumb to pass on this group. Emmons is close to being done, Lavar had major knee issues, Torbor's still developing, Brandon Short is a backup... We have issues here, LA or not and it's more than likely that one of the Greenway, Carpenter and Ryans trio will be available for us. I still think one of these guys is the way to go even if we sign Lavar. I think the safest one out of those guys is Ryans.

Agree with you on almost all of there

I can not think of a reason why to draft sinorice moss that high, it would be rediclous

I am not a big fan of Gabe Watson and think he might even be there in the second def not a first round pick

It is hard for me to say draft a RB especially with tiki and his recent success but Deangelo is a real good rb i just think we have bigger needs

Cornerback would be a smart pick we did sign what 5 DB's but most are old besides Deemps... i think this is would be a very good pick especailly with cromatie but he wont be there but I could justify Jennings, Marshall, Hill (if he is there), and Joseph I am not to impressed with Youboty after seeing his bowl game put a bad taste in my mouth

Linebackers cant have enought of them... as shown last year when we didnt have any for the playoffs but i dont see this as a first round pick

Guest Nutty Sack
Winston has far less upside than Watson has. Plus, I highyl doubt the Giants use their top pick on an offensive players. All indications are that they will concentrate on defense, with or without Arrington in the fold...

I'm scared of this Gabe Watson's tag of not giving effort off the field with conditioning ,weight lifting etc. He's big and has athletic ability and I like that he's coming out of the Michigan program but I think we are already saddled with one of these guys at DT.

Winston is def not a first round pick mid second...

Gabe Watson has shown signs of being very good at times but didnt have the year expected i would pick him over Winston though