SportsWrath

Keith Hamilton

Hamilton

Ex-Giant avoids jail for hitting his son

He admits striking boy with electric cord

Thursday, April 20, 2006

BY MARGARET McHUGH

Star-Ledger Staff

Retired Giants defensive tackle Keith Hamilton, who is on probation for a drug offense, faces no jail time for hitting his 12-year-old son with an electric cord under a plea deal he took yesterday.

In admitting he endangered his son, Hamilton, 34, candidly ex plained why he used corporal punishment Feb. 1 in his Montville home.

"I disciplined him the way I was raised. Certain occasions call for drastic measures," he told Superior Court Judge Joseph A. Falcone.

Hamilton, who is divorced from his children's mother, sends his son to a private school in Passaic, where he is one of only eight stu dents in his class, he said. When Hamilton saw his son's report card, it wasn't the poor grades that angered him, "it was the fact of not trying, in my eyes," he said.

Hamilton said he views school as very important, and his son's lack of effort was unacceptable.

Since his arrest, Hamilton has not been allowed to see either his son or daughter, who live with their mother in West Paterson. But, as of yesterday, he is permitted to have supervised visits, Assistant Morris County Prosecutor Catherine Broderick said.

A decision on unsupervised visits will be made after a psychologist evaluates him, Broderick said.

Being kept from his children has been "about the worst you guys could do," Hamilton said, al though he acknowledged that the order barring him from seeing them stemmed from his own actions. Hamilton, who also has a 9-month-old baby from another re lationship, said he now understands that what he did is illegal.

"I love my kids very much. The only reason I'm not playing football today is because I wanted to spend more time with my kids," said Hamilton, neatly dressed in a blue pinstripe suit but no tie, and sporting a clean-shaven head and goatee.

Under his plea deal, Hamilton will serve three years on probation, beginning in August 2007 when he completes his probation for a 2004 cocaine possession conviction. Hamilton was caught with a gram of cocaine during a May 2003 motor vehicle stop on Route 287 in Harding.

A charge of second-degree ag gravated assault will be dismissed when he is sentenced June 23.

Police said Hamilton struck his son with an electric cord and surge protector, and picked him up by his throat and elbowed him in the chest. The beating left welts and bruises on the boy's legs, back and left forearm.

Morris County Prosecutor Michael M. Rubbinaccio personally approved the plea offer.

"I believe the plea offer was fair, understanding the entire family's desire to continue to have a rela tionship, and the defendant's sincere desire to rehabilitate himself, as well as maintaining a relation ship with his children," Rubbinac cio said.

"It is important that this sen tence break the cycle of family violence manifested through disci pline, which the defendant also learned growing up, particularly so this conduct does not pass to his children," Rubbinaccio said.

Though Hamilton violated his probation with the Feb. 1 arrest, Rubbinaccio noted the incident was unrelated to the drug convic tion, and that the probation department confirmed Hamilton has been drug-free.

Hamilton already is serving 1,080 hours of community service as part of his sentence on the co caine possession charge.

He has worked with Neighborhood House, the Rockaway Township Rockets Football League, Butler High School, Wayne Township PAO, Keep Children Safe Program at St. Justine's Preschool in Newark, a football camp for inner-city youth in Washington, D.C., Special Olympics, Eva's Village, DARE graduation in Linden, and the county's Drug Court, Rubbinaccio said.

Hamilton

Ex-Giant avoids jail for hitting his son

He admits striking boy with electric cord

Thursday, April 20, 2006

BY MARGARET McHUGH

Star-Ledger Staff

Retired Giants defensive tackle Keith Hamilton, who is on probation for a drug offense, faces no jail time for hitting his 12-year-old son with an electric cord under a plea deal he took yesterday.

In admitting he endangered his son, Hamilton, 34, candidly ex plained why he used corporal punishment Feb. 1 in his Montville home.

"I disciplined him the way I was raised. Certain occasions call for drastic measures," he told Superior Court Judge Joseph A. Falcone.

Hamilton, who is divorced from his children's mother, sends his son to a private school in Passaic, where he is one of only eight stu dents in his class, he said. When Hamilton saw his son's report card, it wasn't the poor grades that angered him, "it was the fact of not trying, in my eyes," he said.

Hamilton said he views school as very important, and his son's lack of effort was unacceptable.

Since his arrest, Hamilton has not been allowed to see either his son or daughter, who live with their mother in West Paterson. But, as of yesterday, he is permitted to have supervised visits, Assistant Morris County Prosecutor Catherine Broderick said.

A decision on unsupervised visits will be made after a psychologist evaluates him, Broderick said.

Being kept from his children has been "about the worst you guys could do," Hamilton said, al though he acknowledged that the order barring him from seeing them stemmed from his own actions. Hamilton, who also has a 9-month-old baby from another re lationship, said he now understands that what he did is illegal.

"I love my kids very much. The only reason I'm not playing football today is because I wanted to spend more time with my kids," said Hamilton, neatly dressed in a blue pinstripe suit but no tie, and sporting a clean-shaven head and goatee.

Under his plea deal, Hamilton will serve three years on probation, beginning in August 2007 when he completes his probation for a 2004 cocaine possession conviction. Hamilton was caught with a gram of cocaine during a May 2003 motor vehicle stop on Route 287 in Harding.

A charge of second-degree ag gravated assault will be dismissed when he is sentenced June 23.

Police said Hamilton struck his son with an electric cord and surge protector, and picked him up by his throat and elbowed him in the chest. The beating left welts and bruises on the boy's legs, back and left forearm.

Morris County Prosecutor Michael M. Rubbinaccio personally approved the plea offer.

"I believe the plea offer was fair, understanding the entire family's desire to continue to have a rela tionship, and the defendant's sincere desire to rehabilitate himself, as well as maintaining a relation ship with his children," Rubbinac cio said.

"It is important that this sen tence break the cycle of family violence manifested through disci pline, which the defendant also learned growing up, particularly so this conduct does not pass to his children," Rubbinaccio said.

Though Hamilton violated his probation with the Feb. 1 arrest, Rubbinaccio noted the incident was unrelated to the drug convic tion, and that the probation department confirmed Hamilton has been drug-free.

Hamilton already is serving 1,080 hours of community service as part of his sentence on the co caine possession charge.

He has worked with Neighborhood House, the Rockaway Township Rockets Football League, Butler High School, Wayne Township PAO, Keep Children Safe Program at St. Justine's Preschool in Newark, a football camp for inner-city youth in Washington, D.C., Special Olympics, Eva's Village, DARE graduation in Linden, and the county's Drug Court, Rubbinaccio said.

Now I got my ass beat as a child, but never with a damn cord. Couldn't he have found a belt or something?

Now I got my ass beat as a child, but never with a damn cord. Couldn't he have found a belt or something?

didn't you know, parents aren't allowed to hit thier own children anymore.

Now granted there is a line between discipline and abuse.

But damn I have heard way to many stories about parents you spanked thier children wind have to have social services come in every once in awhile because some little fuck brat teen didn't like his parents had hit him for something he did wrong and Called the cops.

I say in that case once the cops determine that the kid was being a spiteful little prick. The cop gets to beat him with the billy club for wasting his time and tax payer money

didn't you know, parents aren't allowed to hit thier own children anymore.

Now granted there is a line between discipline and abuse.

But damn I have heard way to many stories about parents you spanked thier children wind have to have social services come in every once in awhile because some little fuck brat teen didn't like his parents had hit him for something he did wrong and Called the cops.

I say in that case once the cops determine that the kid was being a spiteful little prick. The cop gets to beat him with the billy club for wasting his time and tax payer money

lol.

Man, like someone else said, i got my fair share of ass beatings (deserved them all), even got it with a 2x4 once, but never got picked up by my throat or elbowed in the chest by pops. Thats a bit extreme I think.

i'm only 19 and my dad did. Only when he was really pissed and I really deserved it. As long as everyone knows i deserved it, it's coolw ith me.

Guest Nutty Sack

Here's my thinking on this matter. The Giants should hire him for training camp. Tell him to bring his chord and beat William Joseph with it until he becomes half the DT that "The Hammer" was. That will be a huge improvement.

i'm only 19 and my dad did. Only when he was really pissed and I really deserved it. As long as everyone knows i deserved it, it's coolw ith me.

same i am 18 but my dad has never really hit me i mean he was close but never has

and my mom has slapped me many times...

:LMAO::LMAO::LMAO: @ Nutty

Guest nosebleed

No jail time, size this dude up for a uniform, we are in desperate need for a quality DT and he would come in and be the top guy, even at his age. He can teach a few things to that human waste product wearing #94, like how to play the game of football.

Guest Floyd The Barber

the FO should waste no further time and get this guy back on the phone and begin discussing contractual terms ASAP...

not only would he motivate those around him by fear, but would be the clear and present #1 DT on this team full of losers and nobody's...

i will begin drafting a rough draft statement to the FO in reference to this clear and obvious acquisition...

Guest Floyd The Barber

better yet, if Hammer feels as if he has lost a step, he should be mandated to attend camp 2006 and equipted a bull whip and cattle tazer...

he would then be ordered to stand directly behind Willie Joe, wherever he may be...and use his tools accordingly...