SportsWrath

Top Ten worst qbs to win a superbowl

Cowboyz

yes it's a couple years old, and no, it's not my creation

just thought it would make a good discussion starter

10. Terry Bradshaw

Terry Bradshaw was the hardest guy to put on this list. Anyone who has four Super Bowl rings and two MVPs doesn't usually belong in a "Top 10 Worst Quarterbacks" list.

But Bradshaw threw 212 touchdown, 210 interceptions, and had a measly 70.9 rating—not very good at all. He posted one of the worst seasons ever by a QB in 1970, with six touchdowns and 24 interceptions in 13 games.

Would Bradshaw have gotten as far as he did if the Steel Curtain hadn't been his defense?

9. Ben Rapelisthberger

Big Ben is consistently average in the regular season and the post season, except in the fourth quarter when the game counts. Ben only makes the list because he had the worst performance ever for a QB on team which won the Super Bowl.

He had 123 yards and 2 interceptions in Super Bowl XL, for a QB rating of 22.6. In two Super Bowls he has a total of 349 yards, one touchdown, and three interceptions. That averages out to 174 yards, .5 touchdowns, and 1.5 interceptions. That's not very good, but he seems to find ways to win.

He also has a newer version of "The Steel Curtian" on the other side of the ball, which will now be recognized as one of the top five defenses of all time. Ben has many more years to play, and a great chance to easily come off this list and join the "10 Greatest QB's to Win a Super Bowl" list.

8. Eli Manning

Before the Giants' defense decided to play like they were from another world last year, many people in New York and all over the world were calling for Eli's head.

This was his best year yet, stats wise. He went for 21 touchdowns, 10 interceptions, and the G-Men posted 12 wins. They were favorites in the NFC, but Eli showed his true colors against the Eagles at home.

However, Eli's stats have gotten better every year since he has been in the league and, like Big Ben, he has a great chance of making the "10 Best" list before he retires.

7. Ken Stabler

Ken played 15 seasons in the NFL. In those 15 seasons he only threw more touchdowns than interceptions five times. He had 194 touchdowns and 222 interceptions in his career for a QB rating of 75.3.

In his only Super Bowl win he was 12-19 for 180 yards, one touchdown, and one interception.

6. Doug Williams

When Doug Williams won the MVP in Super Bowl 22 he posted amazing numbers—he had a record 340 yards and 4 touchdowns.

The Skins, as a team, set many records on offense including the most offensive yards, most rushing yards, and the most offensive touchdowns in a Super Bowl.

So how is Doug Williams on this list? In his career Doug Williams had only 100 touchdowns and 93 interceptions, with a QB rating of 69.4. That is the 3rd lowest career QB rating of any QB who has won a Super Bowl.

5. Jim Plunkett

Jim Plunkett won Super Bowls 15 and 18, and was the MVP of Super Bowl 15, he threw 13-21, had 261 yards, and three touchdowns. In Super Bowl 18 he threw 16-25, had 172 yards, and one touchdown.

In both of his Super Bowl wins Plunkett was out performed by the opposing QB (Jaws, and Thiesman). By the numbers that Plunkett put up over his career, I' m shocked he even had a chance in the playoffs.

In his entire career Plunkett threw 164 touchdowns, 198 interceptions, and had the second lowest QB rating of any QB to win a Super Bowl—67.5. In 12 of his 16 seasons Plunkett threw more interceptions than touchdowns.

4. Jeff Hostetler

Hostetler was a third round draft pick in 1984, picked to back up Phil Simms. And that's exactly what he did until, probably the best day of his life, December, 15 1990.

Simms broke his foot that day and Hoss came in and "Managed Games" while the New York Giants defense led him to the Super Bowl against the Buffalo Bills.

In that game Hostetler went 20-32, threw 222 yards, and had 1 touchdown. He definitely owes Scott Norwood a nice steak dinner.

Hoss had some bad luck when it came to injuries in 1991, he actually broke his back, only to return the next year to back Simms up again. A couple years later he was elected to his only Pro Bowl.

In his career he threw 94 touchdowns, 71 interceptions, and had a QB rating of 80.5—not bad for a backup. That's why he is where he is. He only started 16 games in a season once in his 15 years in the league.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson has played 17 years in the NFL as a great "Game Manager". His only Super Bowl appearance came in Super Bowl 37, when the great defense of the Bucs would match up against the great offense of the Raiders.

Johnson completed 18 of 34 passes for 215 yards, with two touchdowns and one interception. The Bucs defense, however, was definitely the reason Brad has a ring. The defense scored 21 of Tampa's 48 points—matching the three touchdowns the offense scored.

Brad has put up solid numbers throughout his career, but nothing eye popping, 166 touchdowns and 122 interceptions. That's only an average of nine touchdowns per year in his 17 years.

2. Trent Dilfer

Most people who aren't big football fans probably can't even answer the question, "who was the ravens QB when they won the super bowl?"

Dilfer is who everybody who is now know as "game mamagers" is compared to. He was similar to Kerry Collins on the Titans this year.

In his only Super Bowl appearance, all he had to do was not lose the game for the Ravens defense. The defense posted maybe the greatest numbers by a team in Super Bowl history.

They joined the Dolphins from Super Bowl VII and the Steelers from Super Bowl IX, as the only three teams not to allow the opposing offense to score a point (the giants had a special teams touchdown).

Baltimores defense, led by Ray Lewis, allowed the Giants to gain only 152 yards. Lewis had 4 sacks and posted 5 turnovers. I

In that game, Dilfer completed 12-26 passes for 153 yards and one touchdown. After the season he became the only QB to win a Super Bowl and be cut by his team directly afterwords.

In his career he threw 113 touchdowns, 129 interceptions, and had a QB rating of 70.2.

1. Joe Namath

Broadway Joe may be more known for the original guarantee and off the field antics than for his less then stellar on the field contributions.

His career numbers are absolutely awful and his Super Bowl MVP numbers are not much better. In his career Joe had only 173 touchdowns and tossed 220 interceptions.

He also has the worst career QB rating by a Super Bowl QB ever, at 65.5. That's not even game manager style, that is horrid. How they beat the Colts is completely beyond me.

In the big game Joe completed 17 of 28 passes for 206 yards and no touchdowns or interceptions. If not for the guarantee he would never be recognized as a great QB.

Based on his numbers he should not be in the Hall of Fame either. If he really should be in the Hall of Fame, then almost every QB on this list should be a shoe in first ballot Hall member.

He only had two seasons with more touchdowns then interceptions.

I have no idea why people think Joe Namath was so good. Okay, he had a quick release....and has 220 interceptions with 173 touchdowns.

Belongs in the hall of well....the hall of nothing.

yea i never realized he stunk it up that bad. i guess one superbowl and you can live like a celebrity in ny for the rest of your life.

I have no idea why people think Joe Namath was so good. Okay, he had a quick release....and has 220 interceptions with 173 touchdowns.

Belongs in the hall of well....the hall of nothing.

He redefined the game, that's why he's in. Sometimes the hall of fame is about influence, more then stats.

He redefined the game, that's why he's in. Sometimes the hall of fame is about influence, more then stats.

that's right. before joe all the qb's threw the majority of their passes to their teammates.

strategery

;)

You think Eli belongs there?

Here's my list:

Len Dawson

Jim plunkett

Joe Theismann

Doug Williams

Mark Rypien

Hoss

Brad Johnson

Jim Mcmahon

Dilfer

stabler (i guess, but i like him)

Len Dawson

Jim plunkett

Hoss

Never knew Dawson was that bad. Not familiar with his stats, just assumed he was good.

I always considered Plunkett a VERY good QB, and I dont know why. He played when i was young, so it was probably the SB wins. One against the redskins.

That pains me to put Hostetler in there. :cwy:

It's not that I'm not defending Eli, but Rothlisberger anywhere on this list is stupid. Pure Stupid. He has won 2 superbowls and he's a huge reason why the Steelers are where they are, and has years to supplant Bradshaw as QB God in Pittsburgh. McMahon is a good pick, he did nothing except worthwhile before and after the superbowl.

Based on the logic used here, why isn't Kurt Warner on the list?

It's not that I'm not defending Eli, but Rothlisberger anywhere on this list is stupid. Pure Stupid. He has won 2 superbowls and he's a huge reason why the Steelers are where they are, and has years to supplant Bradshaw as QB God in Pittsburgh. McMahon is a good pick, he did nothing except worthwhile before and after the superbowl.

Based on the logic used here, why isn't Kurt Warner on the list?

he's got the worst performance of a qb in winning a superbowl. his other win wasn't impressive either. they do say he has time to get off the list.

i did wonder why mcmahon wasn't on the list

Never knew Dawson was that bad. Not familiar with his stats, just assumed he was good.

I always considered Plunkett a VERY good QB, and I dont know why. He played when i was young, so it was probably the SB wins. One against the redskins.

That pains me to put Hostetler in there. :cwy:

Dawson wasn't bad- just not too memorable I guess. I'm sure there's a Chiefs fan out there who would argue. Hard to pick 10, I really had only 8.

Plunkett had a terrible career early after being highly touted coming out if Stanford. He flourished with Al Davis's offense late in his career.

I don't think it's fair to put hostetler on there just cause he was more/less a backup. he's numbers aren't bad enough

elisha and dilfer together again. conspiracy?

Usually when fans of rival teams dwell on a SB win of a team.. usually it's just sour grapes.

Say what you will about Eli Manning but he's a very good.. solid QB. His stats are up there AND he's only getting better.

yea i never realized he stunk it up that bad. i guess one superbowl and you can live like a celebrity in ny for the rest of your life.

What celebrity? He's only that in the eyes of Jets fans because prozac alone doesn't do the trick... Everyone else could give two shits about him... and odds are most New Yorkers have more respect for Troy Aikman than that attention whore.

This is like the 10 worst golfers to win the Masters, or 10 slowest drivers to win the Indy 500, or the 10 worst hockey players to win the Conn Smythe.

Or the 10 worst sportswrath posters to have at least 17,000 posts :rimshot:

he's got the worst performance of a qb in winning a superbowl. his other win wasn't impressive either. they do say he has time to get off the list.

i did wonder why mcmahon wasn't on the list

Watch the games please, explain how Rothlisberger played bad against the cards and the packers that would warrant him being on this list.

You need to pick lists that have some credibility, not cheap lists that contains a certain Giants QB just to try and piss off a board.