SportsWrath

CNNSI on Gilbride/Eli

Iceman_NYG

This is CNNSI's quote on Eli's fantasy stock taking a hit - thanks to Gilbride. I think this is spot-on.....something everybody and their grandmothers have been seeing for quite sometime now but not acknowledging even if it hit us in the face like a 10 ton truck.

Eli Manning, QB Giants -- Let's all give it up for Kevin Gilbride: he's ruined yet another quarterback.

Gilbride, known for his 1,000-page playbook (of which Drew Bledsoe once commented that with all of those play you'd think Gilbride could find one that worked), has not done the Giants any favors this season.

You know how I judge bad offensive coordinators? It's when coaches have talented players and can't score points. Have you seen some of that playcalling in the red zone for the Giants? Screen, draw, 3-yard pass. That's very imaginative. No wonder why the Giants can't score any points.

(To Gilbride's defense, he isn't alone in his questionable moves, as any fan accustomed to watching Jason Garrett call plays in Dallas can attest.)

Listen, some teams just don't have any talent. It's hard to blame the coordinator when you're starting Derek Anderson and Max Hall at quarterback. But in the case of the Giants and Cowboys, there is too much talent on those two offenses for them to struggle scoring points.

How many times are the Giants going to hike the ball with one second left on the play clock? There's only one other team in the NFL that I've seen hike the ball with one second on the play clock as often as the Giants do. I'll give you one guess which team that is? See "Jason Garrett" above.

Remember the windy playoff game against Philly two years ago? Manning took the blame for the loss but it wasn't the Giants QB who chose to run the ball with the wind and threw against it because he was trying to be sneaky.

Manning plays the porous Houston secondary this week. If he can't put up big numbers against the Texans, it's time to stick a fork in him like the Giants should have done to Gilbride years ago.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/fantasy/10/05/fire.sale/index.html#ixzz11eKrBV7i

Wow now they're picking on Jason Garrett. I still think he's a pretty damn good offensive coordinator.

Good thing talent and execution make up for lack of imagination, problem remains when the first two don't show up on sunday since the third is lacking.

Wow now they're picking on Jason Garrett. I still think he's a pretty damn good offensive coordinator.

Good thing talent and execution make up for lack of imagination, problem remains when the first two don't show up on sunday since the third is lacking.

Are you serious?

like ive said before, isnt it well known that outside of peyton eli has some of the most responsibility at the line of scrimmage and quite often changes the play, and has the ability to change out of the play.

not trying to be gilbrides big defender, just saying we gotta give some of the blame to eli.

and eli is my favorite giant.

The Giants rolled up 470 yards against a Titans defense that is said to be good.....the Giants should have blown out Tennesse 35-whatever.....it was the players, not Gilbride, that choked.

Against the Bears, I credit a good Bears defense for holding them in check. But I don't know if it was Gilbride or Eli that thought running plays at Julius Peppers would be effective.

Against the Colts, everything just sucked. That game blew up in some many ways, Quincy M.E. would have a hard time figuring out how much blame Gilbride gets. But he did in fact suck, along with the rest of the team.

I run very hot and cold with Gilbride....there are times when he puts together a great, balanced gameplan. And then there are times - like the Philly playoffs - where I'm just left sputtering.

The Giants rolled up 470 yards against a Titans defense that is said to be good.....the Giants should have blown out Tennesse 35-whatever.....it was the players, not Gilbride, that choked.

Against the Bears, I credit a good Bears defense for holding them in check. But I don't know if it was Gilbride or Eli that thought running plays at Julius Peppers would be effective.

Against the Colts, everything just sucked. That game blew up in some many ways, Quincy M.E. would have a hard time figuring out how much blame Gilbride gets. But he did in fact suck, along with the rest of the team.

I run very hot and cold with Gilbride....there are times when he puts together a great, balanced gameplan. And then there are times - like the Philly playoffs - where I'm just left sputtering.

Or thought that throwing bombs and throwing in general on 3rd and 2 and less was a good idea. Or thought that hitting Steve Smith at the 6 instead of trying to throw a pass into the end zone was a good idea.

One thing sums it up that Gilbride is a fucking douchefuck moron - He was running the ball with the wind behind you and airing it out with the wind against it. If an OC cannot have that much common sense to think about shit like that....I think well - you are just not too bright. Glibride is a hopeless OC. How I wish we had Sean Payton calling the plays. Hell, Id even take Fassel as OC right now. Anything over this dipshit. Im not talking about this season's results etc. Im talking about the past few years when Gilbride has pretty much been retarded in most situations.

Its funny to the dog - attack eli manning and everyone points to his recent numbers to support him as a great QB. attack eli manning and everyone points to a super bowl mvp under his belt. attack brandon jacobs and everyone points to his early years and 1000 yard rushing seasons...yet everyone likes to rip gilbride for the giants troubles and ignore the 13 turnovers in 4 weeks, of which precious eli can take responsibility for a number of them. steve smith catches a pass on 3rd and goal at the 6 and people blame gilbride - yet it was manning that apparently progressed through his reads and checked down to that receiver...look around the league and decide which super nfl o-coordinator had produced more consistently over recent years and tell the dog who you want...

Its funny to the dog - attack eli manning and everyone points to his recent numbers to support him as a great QB. attack eli manning and everyone points to a super bowl mvp under his belt. attack brandon jacobs and everyone points to his early years and 1000 yard rushing seasons...yet everyone likes to rip gilbride for the giants troubles and ignore the 13 turnovers in 4 weeks, of which precious eli can take responsibility for a number of them. steve smith catches a pass on 3rd and goal at the 6 and people blame gilbride - yet it was manning that apparently progressed through his reads and checked down to that receiver...look around the league and decide which super nfl o-coordinator had produced more consistently over recent years and tell the dog who you want...

ignoring my posts about sharing the blame with eli?

I don't think anyone even ran a route into the end zone on that play, that's what my gripe was...I could be incorrect.

But yah, Eli's made some poor decisions with the ball this year so far...and his internal clock is off, he's been not sensing the pass rush well. I can't blame him for the majority of the interceptions, though, even though a couple would have been tough catches.

Gilbride is way to predictable. I agree, he sucks. If not for the SB win he would be coaching in some shit city.

For example, Indy's terrible run d. We all remember Gilbride thinking that passing every down was a better option. wtf

It wouldn't surprise me this week if Gildo decides to go run, run, 3 yard flat over and over when Houston has a piss poor pass defense.

Gilbride has taken a lot of flack over the past several seasons, and I think a lot of it hasn't been warranted. But this year, he has blown fat chunks. He has sucked miserably thus far. The Titans and Indianapolis games he was terrible. The game plan offensively versus the Bears was just bad. Historically, Gilbride has been slow to make adjustments to what the opponent is doing defensively. Eli is a great QB. He is in the upper echelon of QB's in the NFL. Gilbride needs to be less predictable with his run plays and situational pass plays. It hasn't really been discussed, but I believe, from watching last season, that part of Brandon Jacobs' decline was due to Gilbride running Jacobs in bad situations. I blame Jacobs, too, but the point is that many times he was set up for failure, and I was left scratching my head.

Gilbride needs to stop overthinking and take what the defense is giving.

Gilbride has taken a lot of flack over the past several seasons, and I think a lot of it hasn't been warranted. But this year, he has blown fat chunks. He has sucked miserably thus far. The Titans and Indianapolis games he was terrible. The game plan offensively versus the Bears was just bad. Historically, Gilbride has been slow to make adjustments to what the opponent is doing defensively. Eli is a great QB. He is in the upper echelon of QB's in the NFL. Gilbride needs to be less predictable with his run plays and situational pass plays. It hasn't really been discussed, but I believe, from watching last season, that part of Brandon Jacobs' decline was due to Gilbride running Jacobs in bad situations. I blame Jacobs, too, but the point is that many times he was set up for failure, and I was left scratching my head.

this makes no sense. the colts game was a track meet that they weren't prepared for, and so game plan went out the window quickly. the dog doesn't get at all your assessment of the titans game. if the oc can put an offense of the field that totals nearly 500 yards of total offense, is 50% successful on third downs, has the edge on time of possession, allows only 2 sacks, and yet loses because they turn the ball over three times (twice by that "upper echelon" as you call him QB, including an "upper echelon" goofy left handed flip in the endzone that cost them points) and have 12 penalties, then you can blame him...gilbride may not be top 5 oc, but he is not far off given what is actually in the league...but wait, all of you sitting on your couches watching partially visible games with no back ground in the sport are probably right...

Where the hell is all the playaction! <_<

the Giants are 9th in PYPG but only have 5 td's(3 in week one,2 in week two) to show for it, we get fucking conservative in the"green" zone. HB delays we stopped throwing those fades, Nicks could easily catch those(which he did in week one), Eli should have 12 TD's at least. or fucking utilize Boss and Barden who are both 6'6