SportsWrath

Cutler Sacks Gallery

Lubeck

that was one of the worst calls i've ever seen. what, exactly, was the supposed reason for the flag? was that the helmet to helmet thing?

yeah, its a pussy rule but it was the right call. Can't the hit the QB in the helmet, especially with your own helmet. Check and check, hence the flag.

yeah, its a pussy rule but it was the right call. Can't the hit the QB in the helmet, especially with your own helmet. Check and check, hence the flag.

I don't think so. The penalty is for: " 1) A tackler using his helmet to butt, spear, or ram an opponent or

2) Any player who uses the top of his helmet unnecessarily."

Goff's helmet barely hit the bottom of the QB's facemask. I don't think that violated either of the two circumstances above.

I can see how the Ref thought it was worth a penalty from a certain angle but the replay showed otherwise IMO. The "late hit" call was clearly wrong too, as the pass was effected.

I don't think so. The penalty is for: " 1) A tackler using his helmet to butt, spear, or ram an opponent or

Goff's helmet barely hit the bottom of the QB's facemask. I don't think that violated either of the two circumstances above.

I can see how the Ref thought it was worth a penalty from a certain angle but the replay showed otherwise IMO. The "late hit" call was clearly wrong too, as the pass was effected.

That is why I wanted to see a picture of it... it looked to me that it was a clean hit bellow his head

You're exactly right. He hit him right on the sternum of the shoulder pads, right under the facemask.

The QB is special...any hit to the QB's helmet is illegal, doesn't matter which body part the defensive player uses; hands, shoulder, head, its all a 15 yard penalty.

To me it looked like the crown of Goff's helmet was squarely in the QB's facemask. Even if it barely hit the bottom of the facemask, as you describe, thats still a penalty.

I see what you guys mean though...it might have just looked like it because the way the QB's head got thrown back. Still, putting his helmet down like that was a mistake on Goff's part...if he keeps his head up he probably can see well enough to get his head cleanly on the QB's shoulder and leave no doubt it was a clean hit.