SportsWrath

TE situation gets worse - Beatty requires surgery

BleedinBlue

By Zach Berman - Star Ledger (nj.com)

The bad news continued for the Giants' tight ends on Monday, when coach Tom Coughlin provided more details of Kevin Boss' concussion and revealed that tackle William Beatty, who played as a second tight end on Sunday, will require surgery for a fractured bone in his right foot.

The Giants have Bear Pascoe and Jake Ballard on practice squad, and Coughlin said "we're going to need help there."

Coughlin confirmed that Boss suffered a concussion last season, an admission that could complicate Boss' return to the field. Boss, who also had a concussion late inthe 2008 season, endured multiple hard hits to the head last year but never missed a game because of a concussion.

The team was adamant Boss did not suffer a concussion after getting hit hard (and illegally) in games against Arizona and San Diego. In fact, the Giants' communications staff released a statement about Boss' lack of concussion after those hits following a Daily News article in December suggested the Giants weren't handling Boss with the utmost care.

On Monday, the team clarified Boss did suffer a concussion last season - in the Thanksgiving loss to the Broncos. Boss didn't leave the field, though the team said he wasn't diagnosed until after the game. By the time the Giants returned to practice the following week, Boss had been cleared to participate and was therefore not listed on the team's injury report.

As for Boss' latest concussion, Coughlin sought explanation for why no penalty was called on the hit that injured his starting tight end, who was in the air defenseless on the play.

"He's going to have to go through all the tests and we'll await what is said about it," Coughlin said. "If people are following the rules, the kid doesn't get touched. That was as blatant and obvious as anything you see. No call, no nothing. We lose the player after a few plays in the game, and now we wait to hear what his status will be."

Beatty's injury was a surprise. He wore a boot after the game, but said the initial X-rays were negative.

"He walked into the locker room after the game and just said my foot's sore," Coughlin said.

There is not yet a timetable for Beatty's return.

LB Chase Blackburn has a sprained MCL, the same injury in the same knee he suffered in the preseason opener against the Jets that kept him out of the next three games.

"Are you kidding me?" Blackburn said he thought to himself.

This time, though, the damage doesn't appear to be as bad.

"I feel like it’s more stable this time. I feel like I’m at a better starting point than I was the last time,' he said. "Last time it was real wobbly, real loose. This time, I have at least some stabilization in it. Hopefully the rehab will be shorter."

Asked if he'll miss about a week, Blackburn replied, "Hopefully not even that. We’ll see."

CB Aaron Ross (foot) appears to be in line to return to action on Sunday. ... LB Phillip Dillard (hamstring) says he's improving and is hoping to practice this week.

Regarding punter Matt Dodge, Coughlin said, "patience is not a good word right now. We need to see the consistency."

I wonder if any shit teams would like a draft pick. Can you say "Trade" in the works? Gonna have to do it now. Prepare for a small draft next March. If not, teams are gonna pinning their ears back on the edges all game. If Ware gets healthy, that is a scary scenario.

1. If Eli keeps laying Boss out, he's going to have a very short career.

2.Regarding punter Matt Dodge, Coughlin said, "patience is not a good word right now. We need to see the consistency."

amen, Tom. Get some guys in there tomorrow.

I'm glad Bear will get his shot.

Looks like he definitely will. I don't know the rules that well, but if a player on the practice squad plays in 6 NFL games in a year, I don't think he can be put back on the practice squad.....or something like that.

Regardless, he should get a taste of the real thing this weekend.

1. If Eli keeps laying Boss out, he's going to have a very short career.

2.Regarding punter Matt Dodge, Coughlin said, "patience is not a good word right now. We need to see the consistency."

amen, Tom. Get some guys in there tomorrow.

Was laughing at the "I want Feagles" chant Sunday at the game that immediately followed the block. And yeah, we need to do something about the punting....and soon.