SportsWrath

Rocky Bernard Played With Torn Rotator Cuff

Mr. P

Rocky Bernard knew what people were saying about him last season and he also knew they were right. He wasn’t playing up to his potential. He wasn’t proving to be worthy of the free-agent contract he had just signed.

But he also knew something everyone else didn’t. He knew why.

Bernard, now 31 and entering his second season with the Giants, played all of last season with a partially torn rotator cuff in his shoulder - - a painful injury he said he could feel on nearly every play. That’s the reason, the defensive tackle said, that he had only one sack, 22 tackles and was reduced to a bit player in the defense by the end of last season.

And yes, he said, it was tough to fight through the pain and never say a word.

“It is frustrating, really,” Bernard told the Daily News today. “You never want to use injuries as an excuse. But when you have such a tough injury like that, it’s one of those things where you can play through it, but you know you’re not going to be the same.

“Hopefully people won’t use it against me.”

Bernard said actually suffered the injury last May, just two months after he signed a four-year, $16 million contract with the Giants. He sat out some spring practices with what the team called a “shoulder” injury, but the extent of it was never revealed.

Surgery was an option, but Bernard said he decided to push through it and “I just tried to do a lot of rehab stuff to keep it strong, because it was so weak.” It never got better and two cortisone injections didn’t offer anything other than temporary relief.

“Every play I just felt something like a sting or something pulling on every play,” he said. “It was pretty bad. Obviously the production wasn’t there while I tried to play with it.”

Just a few weeks after the season he underwent surgery to repair the damage. Now he’s hopeful of beginning the 2010 season with a shoulder that’s 100 percent.

“It’ll be as good as I can get it,” Bernard said. “I feel I’ll be back to doing a lot of the things I was doing in Seattle. There were a lot of expectations when I came over here, so I definitely want to live up to those expectations.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2010/05/bernard-played-with-torn-rotat.html

I'm so sick of hearing about all these players playing with injuries. If they're hurt, sit them the fuck down. At this point it sounds like a fucking excuse.

I'm so sick of hearing about all these players playing with injuries. If they're hurt, sit them the fuck down. At this point it sounds like a fucking excuse.

totally agree- last May? what BS.

:sheeplover: and :jerkoff: equals :ranting2: and a headcoach looking like :furious:

Is there anyone willing to say they sucked balls last season because they had a mental lapse, missed tackles whenever I was on the field, misjudged that angle, didn't know what play we were running, over ran a route or cut it too early, didn't realize the sidelines was that thick white line where everyone was standing?

I agree. I think football is the only major sport that thinks a severely injured elite or good player is better than an uninjured replacement. Way back when they had LT put on a harness I thought it was a horrible move. Back when they shot up Emmitt Smith with enough cortisone and pain killers so that he could run into a brick wall much less the Giants during that famous late regular season game I thought about how the stupid fuck will be feeling the wrath of his body in his forties for doing such things. Fuck it I would want to be able to walk and lift my arms above my head in my forties. The coaches, general manager and the owner would have to suck my dick.

I agree. I think football is the only major sport that thinks a severely injured elite or good player is better than an uninjured replacement. Way back when they had LT put on a harness I thought it was a horrible move. Back when they shot up Emmitt Smith with enough cortisone and pain killers so that he could run into a brick wall much less the Giants during that famous late regular season game I thought about how the stupid fuck will be feeling the wrath of his body in his forties for doing such things. Fuck it I would want to be able to walk and lift my arms above my head in my forties. The coaches, general manager and the owner would have to suck my dick.

Emmett faked the whole thing. wink.gif Seriously though in Bavaro's novel, he talks a lot about playing hurt. Fiction but some rang true.

:sheeplover: and :jerkoff: equals :ranting2: and a headcoach looking like :furious:

Is there anyone willing to say they sucked balls last season because they had a mental lapse, missed tackles whenever I was on the field, misjudged that angle, didn't know what play we were running, over ran a route or cut it too early, didn't realize the sidelines was that thick white line where everyone was standing?

:LMAO:

100% exactly what it is. have to love these athletes when they underperform and then announce a year after the fact that it was due to injury. as you said, sit down if it is having that kind of impact...otherwise play with it and keep your mouth shut about. if it had an impact on your performance, prove your game now when injury free. the dog is more curious if the injury occurred on the practice field or while scrapping with his girlfriend...

I'd like to change the title of this thread.

Rocky Bernard did not play with a Torn Rotator Cuff.

"played" would suggest he did just that.

Exactly. Tuck played hurt; Bernard wasted a roster spot hurt.

but do you guys feel the same about tuck who played through an injury last year?

Of course, he should have at least seen less reps for someone more healthy. Hell, Osi complained half of last season about playing time, and he didn't play great all season, but healthy, he's better than a one-armed Justin Tuck.

Hell, even Tollefson plays alright when he gets in there...not saying I'd want Tollefson to start because Tuck is playing through injury, but if you give him the shot and he's not as effective playing through injury, rest him a week or two, and give him less reps in a game or two...and MAYBE he'll heal for important games near the end of the season...

100% exactly what it is. have to love these athletes when they underperform and then announce a year after the fact that it was due to injury. as you said, sit down if it is having that kind of impact...otherwise play with it and keep your mouth shut about. if it had an impact on your performance, prove your game now when injury free. the dog is more curious if the injury occurred on the practice field or while scrapping with his girlfriend...

hahaha, true. Or the oft used in regards to Rocky, from opening the refrigerator door, lol

id say it still matters since he is still on the team.

somes opinions may have changed from "cut him" to "give him another chance since he was hurt all last year"

The majority pf players play hurt; Bradshaw had broken feet and he's a RB. The fact of the matter is that Bernard needs to get the sand out of his vag and stop making excuses for his non-existent play. A tackling dummy would have been more effective then him.

Tuck playing demands double teams, Rocky Bernard simply demands double whoppers with cheese.

which I might add he ate last year with a torn rotator cuff.

hahaha

• 2 weeks later...

Tuck playing demands double teams, Rocky Bernard simply demands double whoppers with cheese.

which I might add he ate last year with a torn rotator cuff.

:laugh:

He's a warrior all right....he never complained about his inability to get both hands on his burger.