SportsWrath

Hakeem Nicks Says He Played Last Season On A Broken Toe

Mr. P

nicks041510jpg-3a7a74f2a897e0d1_large.jpg

Barry Cofield wasn’t the only Giants player to reveal the full extent of an injury Thursday. Hakeem Nicks joined him as well.

The Giants’ wide receiver, who had an outstanding rookie season, said he did it on a broken toe that required recent surgery to insert a screw. Nicks said the injury was a combination of a lingering issue from his time in college at North Carolina and the sprained foot he suffered in the season opener against the Redskins.

“I pretty much knew after the first game I was going to need surgery,” Nicks said. “But I just pushed through it. You guys saw me limping around (the locker room), I’m sure.”

Nicks said he’ll soon have the screw removed and will probably be limited this spring and maybe even into training camp, though he’s tried to speed the healing process by staying off his foot as much as possible. In fact, he said he’s remained at home instead of enjoying some free time in Manhattan so he doesn’t aggravate the injury.

After catching 47 passes for 790 yards and six touchdowns (while often running away from defenders) on a bad foot, Nicks is eager to show what he can do with a pair of healthy wheels.

Oh, and asked if he’s reflected on his rookie season and what he was able to accomplish, Nicks shook his head and said with a smile, “No, I just always keep looking forward.”

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/04/hakeem_nicks_says_he_played_la.html

prince-akeem.jpg

He is being underestimated here by some people, I think that is a mistake. I know the huge numbers weren't there, but considering he was a rookie, and the numbers he put up in the limited time he was on the field, everything points to this kid not just being good, but that he will be a superstar WR. I'm not trying to blow this out of proportion, but I think he has perennial pro-bowler written all over him, and I'm stoked we picked him.

He is being underestimated here by some people, I think that is a mistake. I know the huge numbers weren't there, but considering he was a rookie, and the numbers he put up in the limited time he was on the field, everything points to this kid not just being good, but that he will be a superstar WR. I'm not trying to blow this out of proportion, but I think he has perennial pro-bowler written all over him, and I'm stoked we picked him.

who?

No doubt in my mind the Giants are ready to get back to prominence. We're absolutely set at WR.. Although I will admit I would welcome Plaxico back in a heartbeat. I can't wait till the draft.

He's a Michael Irvin type.....he, Smith, and Manningham make a tremendous young group of receivers. The passing game is in good hands; none of these 3 have anywhere to go but up.

He's a Michael Irvin type.....he, Smith, and Manningham make a tremendous young group of receivers. The passing game is in good hands; none of these 3 have anywhere to go but up.

yeah up the middle on 10 yard curl routes. ermm.gif

Considering he was a rookie who only started half the season, he did have huge numbers. Pro rate his stats over 16 games and you've got a stat line with Pro Bowl written all over it.