SportsWrath

Rolle Call

BronxRik

Excerpt from Giants.com:

"It pretty much came down to a decision I had to make, because the Cardinals were willing to match any offer the Giants had on the table," Rolle said. "It came down to: did I want to become a Giant or did I want to stay an Arizona Cardinal? A lot of things came into effect on a personal note. For the most part, when I came here yesterday to visit the New York Giants, it reminded me of a feeling I once had when I went to visit the University of Miami when I was being recruited at the collegiate level. I just felt like I was at home here. From that point on, it made the decision a lot easier. But at the same time, it was a very tough decision, probably one of the most difficult decisions I've ever had to make in my life, due to the fact that I knew I was leaving behind some close and personal friends, as well as coaches I had established a relationship with."

Link to full story.

Sounds good, I just hope it's genuine and not 'the thing to say' after getting $37 mil. I'd like to think things like a better team, location, etc. are bigger motivating factors when it comes to switching teams than just the $'s.

The Giants are not that far off from being the superbowl team they were just a couple of years ago. They need tweaking...not a rebuild. And as tree pointed out in another thread, if the backfield is tighter, the defensive line automatically gets better. Rolle doesn't have to be everything to the team...he just has to tighten up the safety position....which he should do just fine.

If the Giants stay healthy (with Philips back 100%), they will be very tough next season

The Giants are not that far off from being the superbowl team they were just a couple of years ago. They need tweaking...not a rebuild. And as tree pointed out in another thread, if the backfield is tighter, the defensive line automatically gets better. Rolle doesn't have to be everything to the team...he just has to tighten up the safety position....which he should do just fine.

If the Giants stay healthy (with Philips back 100%), they will be very tough next season

I agree, but we (fans) say that every year. I don't think anyone, even a low football IQ dope like me, expects a S to put the team on his back and *BOOM* we're going to the Superbowl, so I see your point about him not being everything to the team. I've never been big on the whole 'sign the biggest (read most expensive) name in free agency' plan. It's nice if it can be done, and the player actually wants to play for the Gmen, but the biggest name doesn't guarantee a winning season. Our backfield was pretty sorry last year, Rolle certainly upgrades the position especially at $37 million.

It'll just suck balls if he turns out to be a bust or gets hit with the 'I've got my guaranteed money' injury bug. With Canty and Brown each having a 'disappointing' season (granted, Canty was injured), adding Rolle to the list will have Giants fans tearing the walls down in the new stadium. That is, of course, if they could afford the tickets to get in to do so.

The other thing from that story I found interesting was his use in the Wildcat last year and his desire to continue doing so.

Rolle obviously doesn't know Gilbride very well. Just sayin'.

The other thing from that story I found interesting was his use in the Wildcat last year and his desire to continue doing so.

The day the NYG install the Wildcat is the day I become a Jaguar fan.

LOL, this is funny:

Bolts 21 Giants 20: Chargers Use Actual Wildcat During Wildcat Offense

bengaltiger-289x300.jpgOne Bad Cat. Jamaal opened up a can of whoop ass on Giants.

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ (Sportsman’s Daily Wire Service) The NFC East is getting weirder by the week as Dallas knocked off Philly and the Giants lost their fourth straight game. What’s plenty strange is there doesn’t seem to be a clear cut runaway in a division most prognosticators selected New York to take easily. And when the Chargers used the Wildcat formation yesterday at Giants’ Stadium, fans witnessed a kind of carnage never seen in the NFL.

With 3:22 left in the third quarter quarter, Head Coach Norv Turner elected to use the fabled Wildcat offense by using an actual wildcat. Jamaal, a three year old Bengal tiger, opened up several holes in the Giants defense and one gaping hole in the torso of linebacker Danny Clark.

“The play shook up the Giants a little bit,” said Turner. “Which is exactly what I wanted to do. I give credit to their boy Clark though. After having several major organs ripped out of his chest, he walked it off, and was back out there in the fourth. That’s character.”

The Wildcat formation, a variation of the single-wing formation, gained popularity last season among nearly half of the teams in the NFL, and continues to gain acceptance. But according to the Elias Sports Bureau, this is the first time an actual wildcat has been used in the offensive scheme.

“I saw the play developing right away,” said Clark, who is awaiting a new stomach, liver, pancreas, and bladder, but is recovering nicely. “The moment the tiger eyed me up I knew it was on. I dug in my heels, but I lost the battle. But don’t count me out. I’ll be back.”

Turner, initially not a huge fan of the Wildcat, now sees some of the advantages.

“This could be something special if used properly,” he added. “The beauty part about Jamaal is he’s all about the play. There’s zero ego in this fella. He’ll never get a whistle for unsportsmanlike conduct.”

didn't they use direct snap a couple of times last year?

A direct snap is one thing...but lining up your fastest player in the QB spot and asking him to do things he normally does ahead of the line of scrimmage, in the open field, is a recipe for disaster. It would work well with someone who could actually throw the ball, I guess....

The day the NYG install the Wildcat is the day I become a Jaguar fan.

Come on over to Buffalo! The water's fine this time of year! :D

Seriously tho... which team ran the "Wildcat" offense in the Super Bowl a few months ago?

The Wildcat will go the way of the Velociraptor, the Dodo, and the "Run and Shoot."

Come on over to Buffalo! The water's fine this time of year! :D

Seriously tho... which team ran the "Wildcat" offense in the Super Bowl a few months ago?

The Wildcat will go the way of the Velociraptor, the Dodo, and the "Run and Shoot."

Exactly, great point. All these scrub teams think they can utilize this offense when they don't actually have a decent offensive football team (I'm looking at you, Miami Dolphins). They seem to think it will level the playing field against traditional teams, but, as you said, name a Super Bowl team that used the Wildcat.

Exactly, great point. All these scrub teams think they can utilize this offense when they don't actually have a decent offensive football team (I'm looking at you, Miami Dolphins). They seem to think it will level the playing field against traditional teams, but, as you said, name a Super Bowl team that used the Wildcat.

the dog doesn't think the wildcat is a bad thing if used in the right way. should never be the staple, but truth be told, the dolphins have had better success than the dog would have thought (with what they have on offense, you have to admit the system has helped them be more competetive than they probably would have been running a straight offense). if you have the right talent in place, it can be a nice change of pace and gives the defense one more thing to prepare for. and if you had a team that was QB'd by either manning or brees, you are not going to incorporate that offense and take your most talented player out of the mix...just the dog's thought anyway....

1. In the article Rolle played QB in HS so isn't totally inept and untrained at throwing a football

2. Using a sample period of 2 years for the effectiveness of a style of offense in the NFL is asinine. Go ahead and say you THINK it won't last, but don't try and give me "Well no SB team has used it" facts.

I agree with you though I don't THINK the wildcat has lasting power, I just found that part of the article interesting.

the dog doesn't think the wildcat is a bad thing if used in the right way. should never be the staple, but truth be told, the dolphins have had better success than the dog would have thought (with what they have on offense, you have to admit the system has helped them be more competetive than they probably would have been running a straight offense). if you have the right talent in place, it can be a nice change of pace and gives the defense one more thing to prepare for. and if you had a team that was QB'd by either manning or brees, you are not going to incorporate that offense and take your most talented player out of the mix...just the dog's thought anyway....

I definitely agree, it has helped them compete, but you get that team a real QB and another WR and they could just as easily compete using a traditional offense....Miami just seems not to like quarterbacks that are good...

And that's my gripe with it, too, it'd be ridiculous to pull Manning for a play for some gimmick with Antrel Rolle who has ran with a football twice in his professional career....

(I know you aren't Manning's biggest fan but he's still a top 10 QB and probably our best offensive player)

1. In the article Rolle played QB in HS so isn't totally inept and untrained at throwing a football

2. Using a sample period of 2 years for the effectiveness of a style of offense in the NFL is asinine. Go ahead and say you THINK it won't last, but don't try and give me "Well no SB team has used it" facts.

I agree with you though I don't THINK the wildcat has lasting power, I just found that part of the article interesting.

No Super Bowl team has used it...though.... :thumbs: