SportsWrath

WEEK 1 POWER RANKINGS

jerseygiantfan

How can the Patriots be number 2? They were one of the great bonehead plays of all time away from loosing that game by 5 to the Buffalo Bills. If that kick returner, did not try to fight for a meaningless yard the game would have been over...MAYBE Brady would have gotten the ball back with 45 seconds on their own 35 yard line.

How can the Patriots be number 2? They were one of the great bonehead plays of all time away from loosing that game by 5 to the Buffalo Bills. If that kick returner, did not try to fight for a meaningless yard the game would have been over...MAYBE Brady would have gotten the ball back with 45 seconds on their own 35 yard line.

Because it's the Patriots and Tom Terrific. Also if you want a real rant check out the NFL.com power rankings.

The ball shouldn't have been ran out of the endzone, let alone been allowed to go as far as fighting for extra yards. He got himself popped because there was no one to block for him when the hands team is on the field.

Because it's the Patriots and Tom Terrific. Also if you want a real rant check out the NFL.com power rankings.

Some of these "experts" are insane. How the hell do you put the Pats, who haven't exactly distinguished themselves by escaping the Bills, higher than the Steelers? Not only did they win against a much stronger opponent, they're the current title-holders.

I guess the fact that the NE defense is its own chapter of AARP escapes these clowns.

Some of these "experts" are insane. How the hell do you put the Pats, who haven't exactly distinguished themselves by escaping the Bills, higher than the Steelers? Not only did they win against a much stronger opponent, they're the current title-holders.

I guess the fact that the NE defense is its own chapter of AARP escapes these clowns.

If you are talking about the community picks on NFL.com then yes most fans are homers. I am a homer for the Giants but I wouldn't rate them #1.

The ball shouldn't have been ran out of the endzone, let alone been allowed to go as far as fighting for extra yards. He got himself popped because there was no one to block for him when the hands team is on the field.

No running out of the endzone was the correct play... there was 2:04 left in the game, running the ball for 4 seconds would have cost the Patriots an extra timeout, if the guy held the ball, that is.

No running out of the endzone was the correct play... there was 2:04 left in the game, running the ball for 4 seconds would have cost the Patriots an extra timeout, if the guy held the ball, that is.

No, dude. And even if you want to play that card, all he needs to do is hold the ball in the end zone for 4 seconds before he takes a knee. You don't return a kick with no blockers in front of you (who were still lined up for an onsides recovery) and the hands team on the field. Your sole duty if that occurs is to keep possession of the ball. Not run full speed into numerous defenders when the simple and obvious choice is to down the ball. And the clock starts as soon as he receives the ball, anyway.

MAYBE if your normal kick off unit is on the field do you return that out of the end zone and even then I'm not really sure I'd want that to occur.

No, dude. And even if you want to play that card, all he needs to do is hold the ball in the end zone for 4 seconds before he takes a knee. You don't return a kick with no blockers in front of you (who were still lined up for an onsides recovery) and the hands team on the field. Your sole duty if that occurs is to keep possession of the ball. Not run full speed into numerous defenders when the simple and obvious choice is to down the ball. And the clock starts as soon as he receives the ball, anyway.

MAYBE if your normal kick off unit is on the field do you return that out of the end zone and even then I'm not really sure I'd want that to occur.

Can you stand in the endzone for 4 seconds? Wouldnt they call that a touchback? That is also providing that the clock starts once he touches the ball. The bad part of that play was fighting for a meaningless yard and getting the ball stripped in the process.

If the Bills gave Brady the ball back after a 3 and out with a time out in his pocket and a 1:00 on the clock at midfield, we would still be talking about the Great Tom Brady and his miracle comeback.

I agree, I thought he was smart to bring it out of the endzone....but Brian Westbrook he isn't, a headier player would have known to go down as soon as the coverage team closed in.

...the clock doesn't start until you come out of the end zone. :rules:

:P

Can you stand in the endzone for 4 seconds? Wouldnt they call that a touchback? That is also providing that the clock starts once he touches the ball. The bad part of that play was fighting for a meaningless yard and getting the ball stripped in the process.

If the Bills gave Brady the ball back after a 3 and out with a time out in his pocket and a 1:00 on the clock at midfield, we would still be talking about the Great Tom Brady and his miracle comeback.

I'm sure you could stretch kneeing the ball into four seconds...

I'm taking possession of the ball at the 20 yard line with what would most likely be 2 minutes even left on the clock and trying to keep the ball in my possession for the rest of the game, or at the least making them use their timeouts. The odds of winning are way better even with 1 minute on the clock and the Patriots on their own 35 than 2 minutes remaining and the Patriots on your 25, aren't they?

However, if you have the normal kickoff coverage team on the field, I would probably agree with you, run the ball out but you better be protecting yourself and you'd at least have players capable of blocking. The hands team on the field lined up for an onside recover? I don't like my cornerback/kick returner running full speed at defenders like that.

...the clock doesn't start until you come out of the end zone. :rules:

:P

Okay, fine, but you're missing the point. The ball is downed, the Bills win the game. You aren't even put in the situation of no blocking and one man against 3 defenders. I knew something bad was going to happen as soon as he left the end zone.

Regardless, I down the ball and win that game, you run it and fumble and lose the game. How is this even an argument?

Regardless, I down the ball and win that game, you run it and fumble and lose the game. How is this even an argument?

No one is saying they automatically win that game. Lets say you are Buffalo what are you going to do with the ball on the 20. Three running plays,

1st play 2 yard run -2minute warning.

Second play -20seconds 2 yards- Pats To

Third play -20seconds 2 yards Pats To

Punt- Pats ball, 1 time out ball around their 30-40 yard line with 1 minute left on the clock...

Then Brady Time..

Not that it changes by much, but using that 2:00 minute warning gives the Pats the ball with 0 time outs... TOTALLY different situation.

Fumbling the ball is what lost them the game, not running it out of the endzone.

No one is saying they automatically win that game. Lets say you are Buffalo what are you going to do with the ball on the 20. Three running plays,

1st play 2 yard run -2minute warning.

Second play -20seconds 2 yards- Pats To

Third play -20seconds 2 yards Pats To

Punt- Pats ball, 1 time out ball around their 30-40 yard line with 1 minute left on the clock...

Then Brady Time..

Not that it changes by much, but using that 2:00 minute warning gives the Pats the ball with 0 time outs... TOTALLY different situation.

Fumbling the ball is what lost them the game, not running it out of the endzone.

If he doesn't run it out, he doesn't fumble the ball. These are professional football teams, the number one thing a winning NFL team does is win the game when put in position to win the game, not make foolish mistakes with the lead. You have to rely and respect your offense enough to allow them to run out the clock, therefore, if your hands team is on the field, don't run the ball out of the end zone and risk fumbling. It's not rocket science, dude. Your point really only makes sense if the ball wasn't kicked into the end zone or a normal kick return formation was out there.

Okay, fine, but you're missing the point. The ball is downed, the Bills win the game. You aren't even put in the situation of no blocking and one man against 3 defenders. I knew something bad was going to happen as soon as he left the end zone.

Because there's a third, better option...bring it out of the endzone, run the clock into the 2 minute warning (IIRC, there was like 2:03 left on the clock), and then slide down before the coverage team can tackle you. The returner's mistake was in trying to fight through tackles...sometimes you've got to be aware enough to know when its better to just go down rather than risk a fumble (you hear that, Brandon Jacobs?).

By downing the ball in the end zone you're playing into the Patriots hands...that was what they wanted, it would have given them an extra clock stoppage.

Because there's a third, better option...bring it out of the endzone, run the clock into the 2 minute warning (IIRC, there was like 2:03 left on the clock), and then slide down before the coverage team can tackle you. The returner's mistake was in trying to fight through tackles...sometimes you've got to be aware enough to know when its better to just go down rather than risk a fumble (you hear that, Brandon Jacobs?).

By downing the ball in the end zone you're playing into the Patriots hands...that was what they wanted, it would have given them an extra clock stoppage.

There's a difference. I trust my offense to get me one first down at the end of the game when it's needed. And it's the coaches who prance around the fact that their offense might not get them the first down to put the game away and become iffy to say the least about play call...with safe runs up the middle to run out clock. You obviously still have to get the ball ten yards. This is the prime example of team's working to NOT lose the game. No matter how cliched that is, you have to allow your team a chance to put the game away and you have to do it the same way you've been doing it all game.

With the hands team ten yards off the LOS and the ball returner receiving the ball in the end zone, you down it and give your offense the chance to finish off the game. No brainer. And if you don't pick up ten yards, you're giving them the ball back with no timeouts and a lot further to drive the ball than your own 25. That's putting yourself in the best position to win the game.

Now, don't get me wrong, he doesn't fumble, the Bills are in a good position to win the game anyway. Thing is, you don't WANT to put your team in that position. Allowing him to return even if he just falls down is risky, no matter what (besides, not many players have that kind of alertness, unfortunately, and it was all too obvious the Bills coaches didn't actually tell this poor kid what to do with the ball anyway, because if the game plan was to run it to the 2.00 minutes, the kid obviously was trying to get good field position, not win the game)....

So I understand where you guys are coming from, but I guess it's the difference in our coaching philosophies...haha...There's 2 minutes left in the game, I'm telling my guys to do everything they possibly can to retain possession at all costs....don't do anyting risky, you've already won the game.