SportsWrath

Practice Squad

Lughead

NY Giants begin filling out their practice squad, lose defensive end Maurice Evans to Buccaneers

by Mike Garafolo/The Star-LedgerSunday September 06, 2009, 12:52 PM

large_rashadpsquad.jpg

Mike Groll/AP

Giants safety Sha'reff Rashad, who signed as an undrafted free agent in April,will remain with the team after signing to the practice squad on Sunday.The Giants began the process of compiling their eight-man practicesquad at noon on Sunday when players who were let go on Saturdayofficially cleared waivers.Among those signed were:

CB DeAndre Wright: the team's sixth-round pick in April

S Sha'reff Rashad: an undrafted free agent from Central Florida

S Vince Anderson: undrafted from Webber International (Fla.)

DT Anthony Bryant: a former sixth-round pick of the Buccaneers from Alabama

DE Maurice Evans, a highly regarded undrafted freeagent from Penn State who had an impressive camp and preseason, wasclaimed by the Buccaneers and is now on their active roster, his agentsaid via e-mail. That's a disappointment for the Giants, though theyprobably expected he wouldn't make it through.

LB Kenny Ingram, an undrafted free agent fromFlorida State, was not signed and is on his way back to Florida. But hewas told he might be called back in the near future.

I'm still waiting to hear whether QB Rhett Bomar cleared waivers.

More to come.

From what I understand, if a team signs a player from another team, he MUST be put on the active roster. You can't sign a player to the practice squad. Therefore, I don't think another team will sign Bomar as they'd have to put him on the active roster and even though he has potential out the ass, he's still too green to run an NFL team.

Hopefully I'm right and he ends up on the Giants' practice squad.

From what I understand, if a team signs a player from another team, he MUST be put on the active roster. You can't sign a player to the practice squad. Therefore, I don't think another team will sign Bomar as they'd have to put him on the active roster and even though he has potential out the ass, he's still too green to run an NFL team.

Hopefully I'm right and he ends up on the Giants' practice squad.

You sir are correct. If a player clears all waivers though, not just signs them. If they clear waivers then it is up for grabs to sign them to your practice squad.

You sir are correct. If a player clears all waivers though, not just signs them. If they clear waivers then it is up for grabs to sign them to your practice squad.

Why don't the Giants just carry him as the #3 QB? I thought the #3 didn't count as a roster spot and could only be used when the #1 and #2 go down.

NY Giants bring in former Patriots tight end Alex Smith for visit

by M.A. Mehta/The Star-LedgerSunday September 06, 2009, 2:53 PM

large_610x.jpg

Getty Images

Former Buccaneers tight end Alex Smith (right), who was cut by the Patriots Saturday, is reportedly visiting the Giants.A day after trading tight end Michael Matthews to the Patriots for aconditional 2011 draft pick, the Giants brought in former Patriots TEAlex Smith for a visit Sunday, according to a person familiar with theaction. The person requested anonymity because he is not authorized tospeak on behalf of the Giants or Smith. The6-4, 258-pound Smith was cut by New England Saturday. Smith didn't makethe Patriots' 53-man roster because of his inadequacies as a blockingtight end and perhaps his $1.5 million salary.

The Patriots originally acquired Smith from TampaBay in April for a fifth-round pick. Smith, who was drafted by theBuccaneers in the third round in 2005, had 129 receptions for 1,252yards and 11 touchdowns for Tampa Bay.

The Giants current tight end corps includes Kevin Boss, Darcy Johnson and rookie third-round pick Travis Beckum.

Check back for more details from Giants beat reporter Mike Garafolo.

Why don't the Giants just carry him as the #3 QB? I thought the #3 didn't count as a roster spot and could only be used when the #1 and #2 go down.

You are partially correct. But that ruling is for the active roster on gameday, which is 46 players. A 3rd QB on your roster counts against the 53.

You are partially correct. But that ruling is for the active roster on gameday, which is 46 players. A 3rd QB on your roster counts against the 53.

I could never understand why all 53 men can not be active for the game?

herm.jpg Hello we PRACTICE TO PLAY THE GAME

Practice Squad Update

So far, the Giants have reportedly filled six of their eight available practice squad slots, as follows:

• CB DeAndre Wright (Giants' 6th round draft pick)
  • S Sha'reffRashad
  • DT Anthony Bryant
  • S Vince Anderson
  • TE Jason Pociask (previously with Tampa Bay).....................???????????????????
  • QB Rhett Bomar (Giants' 5th round draft pick)

DE Maurice Evans has gone to Tampa. QB Andre Woodson was picked upby Washington (who happens to be the Giants' opening day opponent --hmmm).

Another TE? plus If we sign Smith he has to go on the roster right not the PS?

Giants announce practice squad

TheGiants officially announced their practice squad a few moments ago. AsI told you yesterday, the list included six of the players they cut onSaturday, along with two new names:

RB Allen Patrick

QB Rhett Bomar

S Vince Anderson

CB DeAndre Wright

S Sha’reff Rashad

DT Anthony Bryant

And the two newcomers …

FB Nehemiah Broughton

TE Kareem Brown

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2009/09/giants-announce-practice-squad.html#ixzz0QQoQzBSF