SportsWrath

Giants Denied Giunta Permission to Interview with Teams

Mr. P

Caught up with secondary coach Peter Giunta today and didn’t once ask him or hear about any of the cornerbacks he’s coaching this year. Instead, we spoke exclusively about him. When Steve Spagnuolo left the Giants to take over as head coach of the Rams, Tom Coughlin interviewed two staffers to fill the defensive coordinator’s job: Linebackers coach Bill Sheridan, who got the job, and Giunta, who didn’t.

“You’re hurt, you’re upset by the situation, but you deal with it and that’s what it is,” Giunta said.

Not only was Giunta not given the Giants’ coordinator job, he was denied opportunities to interview with other teams for their coordinator jobs. While he didn’t say which teams knocked on the Giants’ door, he likely received interest from the Packers and the Rams.

“Coach told me afterwards who had called and who wanted me to go,” Giunta said. “He said that we’re so close to coming back and winning another championship here that he didn’t want to break up his staff. As much as he could he wanted to keep us as long as he could. That’s where we are. You feel great that other people want you to go and be a coordinator for them. You feel great that people want you to stay here and continue to do your job.”

But of course, there’s a feeling of being handcuffed. Position coaches cannot accept coordinator jobs with other teams unless their contract has expired or the receive permission from their current team. The only job that permission is not required for is head coach. The rule was put in place several years ago to stop coaches from switching teams and accepting a bigger title – say “assistant head coach” or something – even though they were doing the same job. In other words, under the old rules, Spagnuolo could have had Giunta go with him to St. Louis as a secondary coach simply by giving him a fancy title.

Giunta has already been a defensive coordinator when he was with the Rams. He was there for three years, including when the Rams won their Super Bowl.

“Obviously when you’ve done it before you have an idea of what you’d like to do and stuff like that,” he said. “Not getting it it’s tough, especially when you’ve had success, when you won World Championships. But I’ll be there to support Bill and help him and he’ll be great. It is what it is. Coach made the decision, that was his choice.”

Won;t it be hard for him not to occassionally second-guess his new boss? Especially when it's a first-time coordinator and someone with whom he was competing for the job?

"You can’t do that," he said. "Once you know what you’re going to do you’re all 100 percent behind it. There’s no second-guessing."

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/football...ortunities.html

it was thrown around alot before he promoted sheridan.

he was the DC for the st. louis champion team

Historically, secondary coaches haven't fared well with the Giants in DC positions (Tim Lewis, Johnnie Lynn).

But if I'm not mistaken, that Rams team ended up 3rd in overall D that year.

Historically, secondary coaches haven't fared well with the Giants in DC positions (Tim Lewis, Johnnie Lynn).

But if I'm not mistaken, that Rams team ended up 3rd in overall D that year.

Easy to be the defensive coordinator on a team who's offense scores 35 points per game.

That Rams team had the 6th ranked defense in terms of total yards per game in the NFL. They also had the 4th ranked scoring defense at 15.1 points per game, and they were tops in the NFL against the run, although I imagine most of their games didn't involve a lot of running, with teams playing from far behind a lot of the time. Greatest Show on Turf, as they were called, what an offense.