SportsWrath

Question for Yankee fans?

xxi-xxv

How do you all feel thus far with the job Girardi has done in his 1+ years here? I felt tonight he was pushing the envelope a bit having Marte face a 5th hitter, especially a righty like Youklis, but I guess it had more to do with Bruneys elbow than anything else.

Anyway, what is your opinion of him as a manager of this team and handler of the pen?

It's so easy to second guess, and I can only really talk about tonight's game, but I think the wait in the dugout may have harmed Rivera. I know he can do multiple inning saves, but when they showed that shot of him just sitting there, I knew we'd at least tie it up. I don't know why he was brought in in the eighth, especially since there was already a strike on Ellsbury when Rivera was brought in.

Oh well, can't complain.

It's an amazing game to begin the season series.

And it was closer to four hours than three. Could we really have it any other way?

Its still to early for me to tell fully, but I'd have to give him a C- at best thus far. I dont like his handling of the bullpen, and as you pointed out, the fact that he put in Marte against a righty. And Youkilis is batting like .400 now, it was ridiculous. But Im not sure he had too many other options. The season is till young, so Im hoping things pan out, but I give him a C- to this point.

Last year he was really good at handling the pen. This year he's mixing and matching too much like Joe Torre used to do. He needs to spread the innings around but sometimes you need to go to your better pitchers regardless of handedness. He is doing a decent job with the lineup and trying to maximize everyone's usefulness and getting players ABs. With the way the bench is and Matsui's health his hands are tied that's why we saw a line-up like last night's. We should never see lineups with two black holes like Molina and Ransom against the Red Sox.

Last year he was really good at handling the pen. This year he's mixing and matching too much like Joe Torre used to do. He needs to spread the innings around but sometimes you need to go to your better pitchers regardless of handedness. He is doing a decent job with the lineup and trying to maximize everyone's usefulness and getting players ABs. With the way the bench is and Matsui's health his hands are tied that's why we saw a line-up like last night's. We should never see lineups with two black holes like Molina and Ransom against the Red Sox.

I agree except for the highlighted part. You can't bench your defense, and Posada should be relegated to back up catcher/DH.

I still like Girardi's handling of the pitching staff over Torre's, but Girardi has been getting a little too cute lately. And, when is it time for Mo to build up some arm strength, FCS? :brooding:

Way too early to tell how the Yankees will do for the season. When it warms up....and especially if Wang gets his sinker working again (which I believe he will), they'll be running off streaks of 10, 12 wins.

As far as Girardi goes......I think he's making good moves, but I am beginning to wonder how the team views him as manager. Torre had a way of keeping the team together as a unit and had their utmost respect. He could keep malcontents in line and was the true leader of the team. But I don't know if Girardi has that same skill and I wonder if some of the guys respect him the way they need to if they are going to be a championship team. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think there's some clubhouse problems that haven't been exposed yet. I wouldn't be surprised if this will be his last season.