SportsWrath

Proehl interested in being a Giant?

gateb

Giants | Proehl would like to join team

Wed, 29 Mar 2006 18:02:40 -0800

Darin Gantt, of the Rock Hill Herald, reports free agent WR Ricky Proehl (Panthers) would like to play for the New York Giants.

Despite him really getting up there in age, he is the type of clutch WR I would love to have catch balls from Eli. And he would accept playing 3rd WR also. He would be a cheaper version of Keyshawn with less ability possibly.

How old is he?

Might not be a bad idea, a cheap solid 3rd reciever who can still make the catches. Might actually be a better fit than Keyshawn.

That's what I was thinking. A less athletic version of Keyshawn. Can help Plax fix up his skills and become a better, more consistent WR while making an impact himself. I don't think Smith getting better while Proehl was a Panther was a coincidence...

Not to toot my own horn(but in this case I will :P ) I have been clamoring for a 3rd down option like Proehl for some time,(and even mentioned his name at years end) a guy that on 3rd and 7 will run a good, crisp 8 yard route, make a catch, fall down, run to the sidelines and a drive continues. Prohel could be useful and although up there in age, its not like he has ever been a burner or great athlete, he just gets open and makes 3rd down catches. I endorse it of the price is right and he is healthy enough to play.

Not to toot my own horn(but in this case I will :P ) I have been clamoring for a 3rd down option like Proehl for some time,(and even mentioned his name at years end) a guy that on 3rd and 7 will run a good, crisp 8 yard route, make a catch, fall down, run to the sidelines and a drive continues. Prohel could be useful and although up there in age, its not like he has ever been a burner or great athlete, he just gets open and makes 3rd down catches. I endorse it of the price is right and he is healthy enough to play.

I remember clearly that you were calling for a guy like this a while ago, that guy was Patten but I'm sure you'd be more then happy iwht Proehl.

And especially since we re-signed Carter, it can afford to get us more of a possession type WR for a year or two to help mentor some of our WRs and also give us some clutch catches along the way.

I remember clearly that you were calling for a guy like this a while ago, that guy was Patten but I'm sure you'd be more then happy iwht Proehl.

And especially since we re-signed Carter, it can afford to get us more of a possession type WR for a year or two to help mentor some of our WRs and also give us some clutch catches along the way.

One of my thoughts was always "a guy like a Ricky Proehl" never expecting to actually get him because of age/fact he will not be available/ etc. Patten probably will not be cut and he is another guy I like a lot in that role of 3rd down vet WR. Hey why not get "a guy like Ricky Proehl" by getting the real Ricky Proehl? He is a good vet and his lockeroom presence and the fact he and his family are big Giants fans is an added plus. He is also a guy that will buy into TC's system off the bat and thats a great influence on guys that are younger.

As some of you may know, I'm a huge proponent of adding a third WR. I think someone like Proehl would be ideal. He would give our offense a veteran presence who has been to the SB before. He would be a great compliment to Tiki and Amani for the offense and would give our offense that last, key threat that they need. His only goal in coming back would be to win the SB so he would never complain about his touches (or lack there of).

If this is true, Im all for it.

He's old, slow, White, and washed up. He ain't no WR on the Giants!

Every thing you said was correct, except of corse for the double negative :P

I wouldn't mind getting him just for his experience and professionalism which in turn could have a positive influence on Shock and Plax

Guest Lockhart
Despite him really getting up there in age, he is the type of clutch WR I would love to have catch balls from Eli. And he would accept playing 3rd WR also. He would be a cheaper version of Keyshawn with less ability possibly.

This has to be worst idea this off season - sign a 38 year old slow white reeceiver - why not just sign Frank Gifford?

Insider

Proehl is a veteran who has an excellent understanding of how to attack coverages. Though he has lost a step, he gets a good surge off the line and has very quick feet and good speed. He is an accomplished route runner who gets separation by accelerating into and out of his cuts. He has great body control and change-of-direction skills. He shows great awareness in zone coverage and can find soft spots. He uses his hands and quickness to get off the jam and press coverage. He has excellent hands and the focus and concentration to catch in a crowd or make the difficult grab. He works hard on blocking and can effectively screen a defender. He isn't the deep threat he once was but still can get open downfield using his intelligence and route running. He won't turn many short passes into long gains but is a valuable possession receiver. He won't make many mistakes and is amazingly durable

I think Proehl is also a WWII veteran!

Well in that case I thank him for risking his life for our freedom :rock:

So you dont have anything to say about his experience, professionalism, Hands and great route running? Just his age....Thats all you have.....Thats kinda sad...I thumb my nose at you

Guest Lockhart
Well in that case I thank him for risking his life for our freedom :rock:

So you dont have anything to say about his experience, professionalism, Hands and great route running? Just his age....Thats all you have.....Thats kinda sad...I thumb my nose at you

38 year-old slow white boy - that is all anyone needs to know.

Proehl may be old but he's the consummate professional. Living in Carolina I've seen a lot of his work for the Panthers. The guy is as clutch as they come on 3rd down. He always gets open. He's surehanded too. He's not going to take a 14 yard pass for another 60 yards and a score but that's not why he'd be signed anyway.

I am surprised that he's voiced his interest in playing for us as I really thought he wanted to retire. Steve Smith basically talked him out of retiring prior to last season. I don't think Ricky would sign up for another season if his heart weren't into it but that does cause me a bit of concern. Still, I'd love to have him as a 3rd down option and he won't be expensive.