SportsWrath

Proehl interested in being a Giant?

gateb

Guest Lockhart
I would love Ricky Proehl to be a Giant. He is a class act, and as clutch as they come on third down. Ricky would add a lot to our offense, if only for one season

Proehl is 38 years old - I don't think his helmet has a facemask.

I really don't care that he is old. The fact is that he is still clutch and can still make the big third down catch. He certainly wouldnt hurt the team if he was brought in

Edited by shockjock

Guest Carbo
Hehe. . .it's also leather.

Look, you buffoons who think he will be a positive role model for Burress and Shockey are in Peter Pan Land. Those two clowns won't listen to their other teammates or their head coach. What makes you think they are suddenly going to sit around the campfire with Proehl for a heart to heart?

Guest Lockhart
Hehe. . .it's also leather.

Look, you buffoons who think he will be a positive role model for Burress and Shockey are in Peter Pan Land. Those two clowns won't listen to their other teammates or their head coach. What makes you think they are suddenly going to sit around the campfire with Proehl for a heart to heart?

I think Proehl is having one of those mid-life Crisis things. He probably wants a sports car and cheerleader as well. shockey and Plaxico respect nothing - they would laugh at Proehl for trying to make them team players. You can't change players like TO, Shockey & Plaxico - they are what they are.

Just say no to Proehl...let's look beyond one year

Proehl would likely only be signed for a year, and it would be at the veteran minimum. We're not hurting our future in any way by bringing in a reliable 3rd down possession guy. Yeah he's old but so what, he's not going to be the centerpice of the offense. He's purely a complentary player in our scheme but he's one who can contribute.

I've gotta say, I'm a bit shocked at the backlash from the 4 Amigos. Aren't you guys constantly harping on Shockey and Plax for things like a lack of professionalism, maturity, and having big egos that don't always correlate to performance? Here's a guy (Proehl) who is as team oriented as they come. He's not a troublemaker. He's solid in all the fundamentals of the game despite not being blessed with all world talent. The guy has carved out a nice long NFL career and he's done it on hard work and determination. We likely have the chance to sign him to the vet minimum for a one year deal and you guys react negatively. I don't get it? And before you come back with the age argument read my first paragraph. Proehl has plenty left in the tank to do what we would be asking of him. I'm on no way suggesting he should be given Toomer's job or an increased role in the offense.

As some of you may know, I'm a huge proponent of adding a third WR. I think someone like Proehl would be ideal. He would give our offense a veteran presence who has been to the SB before. He would be a great compliment to Tiki and Amani for the offense and would give our offense that last, key threat that they need. His only goal in coming back would be to win the SB so he would never complain about his touches (or lack there of).

If this is true, Im all for it.

All I care is he knows his routes, and he can catch almost anything unlike Carter and Taylor...

Proehl would likely only be signed for a year, and it would be at the veteran minimum. We're not hurting our future in any way by bringing in a reliable 3rd down possession guy. Yeah he's old but so what, he's not going to be the centerpice of the offense. He's purely a complentary player in our scheme but he's one who can contribute.

I've gotta say, I'm a bit shocked at the backlash from the 4 Amigos. Aren't you guys constantly harping on Shockey and Plax for things like a lack of professionalism, maturity, and having big egos that don't always correlate to performance? Here's a guy (Proehl) who is as team oriented as they come. He's not a troublemaker. He's solid in all the fundamentals of the game despite not being blessed with all world talent. The guy has carved out a nice long NFL career and he's done it on hard work and determination. We likely have the chance to sign him to the vet minimum for a one year deal and you guys react negatively. I don't get it? And before you come back with the age argument read my first paragraph. Proehl has plenty left in the tank to do what we would be asking of him. I'm on no way suggesting he should be given Toomer's job or an increased role in the offense.

I agree whole heartily. We also have to remember this is the same guy Steve Smith called when he heard Proehl was leaning towards retirement before last season and begged him to return because he wasnt ready to take over as that leader yet. Im not saying he would make a huge impact on our team but what would it hurt bringing him in for vet. min. if he wants to be here and while we could actually use him for this season....

This has to be worst idea this off season - sign a 38 year old slow white reeceiver - why not just sign Frank Gifford?

that's exactly the thought i had when i saw this. i think i had ricky proehl on my 1988 fantasy team.

Proehl could catch on with Giants

Friday, March 31, 2006

BY MIKE GARAFOLO

Star-Ledger Staff

The Panthers outdid the Giants last week by gobbling up receiver Keyshawn Johnson. Now, the Giants might be picking from Carolina's leftovers.

The agent for Ricky Proehl, the Belle Mead native and former Hillsborough High star who has played for five teams in his 16-year NFL career, said yesterday he has had preliminary discussions with the Giants. Proehl, who had 25 catches for 441 yards and four touchdowns for Carolina last season, turned down a one-year deal from the Giants in 2002 and signed a three-year contract with the Panthers instead.

Proehl, 38, who has missed only 14 regular-season games in his career, wanted to return to the Panthers but realized his days in Carolina were over when the team signed Johnson.

"At this point, I'm just trying to identify the places where Ricky would want to play," said Alan Herman, Proehl's agent. "Obviously, coming from (New Jersey), the Giants were one of those places.

"But we haven't had any serious talks with them at this point. We've just touched base."

Herman expects Proehl to finalize his list of targets today or tomorrow, at which point the agent will begin contract discussions with interested teams.

Meanwhile, the Giants are reportedly looking to add Grey Ruegamer, who has served as a reliable backup at center for the Patriots and Packers in his eight-year career. The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reported on its Web site Wednesday night that Ruegamer is weighing offers from the Lions and Giants. Ruegamer's agent, Frank Bauer, did not return a phone message left at his office yesterday.

The Giants declined comment when asked about Ruegamer and Proehl.

If signed, Ruegamer would serve as a backup to starting center Shaun O'Hara. The Giants had planned to keep C/G Jason Whittle even though they released him late last month. GM Ernie Accorsi said the team told the versatile Whittle they would re-sign him if the league extended the CBA and the salary cap was raised. But before the extension, a miscommunication resulted in Whittle's signing with the Vikings.

"They thought that Jason was hanging around, waiting for them and I took it to mean that they would like to get him back but couldn't promise anything," Whittle's agent, Joe Linta, said recently. "So we moved on. There were no hard feelings on either side."

The Giants waived receiver Harry Williams yesterday.

I would have no problem if the Giants signed him.

He is a clutch receiver and always reminded me of Fred Blitnikoff (raiders).

(i know i am dating myself) As long as he's healthy and wants to play

he would be and asset ! Vet experience will help the younger receivers as well.

Guest Carbo
(i know i am dating myself)
Around here, that's the norm. Loners like Lemmiwonks, relioneli, firstnten, and 420, all "date" themselves, if you know what I mean. . . <_<

Proehl could catch on with Giants

Friday, March 31, 2006

BY MIKE GARAFOLO

Star-Ledger Staff

The Panthers outdid the Giants last week by gobbling up receiver Keyshawn Johnson. Now, the Giants might be picking from Carolina's leftovers.

The agent for Ricky Proehl, the Belle Mead native and former Hillsborough High star who has played for five teams in his 16-year NFL career, said yesterday he has had preliminary discussions with the Giants. Proehl, who had 25 catches for 441 yards and four touchdowns for Carolina last season, turned down a one-year deal from the Giants in 2002 and signed a three-year contract with the Panthers instead.

Proehl, 38, who has missed only 14 regular-season games in his career, wanted to return to the Panthers but realized his days in Carolina were over when the team signed Johnson.

"At this point, I'm just trying to identify the places where Ricky would want to play," said Alan Herman, Proehl's agent. "Obviously, coming from (New Jersey), the Giants were one of those places.

"But we haven't had any serious talks with them at this point. We've just touched base."

Herman expects Proehl to finalize his list of targets today or tomorrow, at which point the agent will begin contract discussions with interested teams.

Meanwhile, the Giants are reportedly looking to add Grey Ruegamer, who has served as a reliable backup at center for the Patriots and Packers in his eight-year career. The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reported on its Web site Wednesday night that Ruegamer is weighing offers from the Lions and Giants. Ruegamer's agent, Frank Bauer, did not return a phone message left at his office yesterday.

The Giants declined comment when asked about Ruegamer and Proehl.

If signed, Ruegamer would serve as a backup to starting center Shaun O'Hara. The Giants had planned to keep C/G Jason Whittle even though they released him late last month. GM Ernie Accorsi said the team told the versatile Whittle they would re-sign him if the league extended the CBA and the salary cap was raised. But before the extension, a miscommunication resulted in Whittle's signing with the Vikings.

"They thought that Jason was hanging around, waiting for them and I took it to mean that they would like to get him back but couldn't promise anything," Whittle's agent, Joe Linta, said recently. "So we moved on. There were no hard feelings on either side."

The Giants waived receiver Harry Williams yesterday.

Last I checked, age doesn't play too much of a factor when it comes to hands. And Proehl was never known as a burner anyway so if he loses a step he still has good enough game to be a reliable target for us. I'll take him for a low price.