SportsWrath

Who is Boley and what did we get?

JackStroud

I swear I never heard of him.

Hopefully, this is another Jerry Reese magical move.

I like the idea of Bernard. reports I've seen on him hes a nasty inside presense

As for the Redskins, you can't fault them for trying. Haynesworth is apparentlly a terriffic player

At this rate The Cowboys will soon be the NFC East doormat........thats incredibly amusing

but i thought you DVR'd and watched every nfl game?

hes a speedy linebacker who had a few very good seasons in atlanta until last season when they switched to a read and react type defense, he can rush the passer and is also good in space.

basically think about what our weaknesses were at linebacker last year and those are his strengths.

hes only 27 too.

but i thought you DVR'd and watched every nfl game?

that sir was a joke

Ok this kid sounds like a good move........hopefully he is and stays healthy

hes a speedy linebacker who had a few very good seasons in atlanta until last season when they switched to a read and react type defense, he can rush the passer and is also good in space.

basically think about what our weaknesses were at linebacker last year and those are his strengths.

hes only 27 too.

I swear I never heard of him.

Hopefully, this is another Jerry Reese magical move.

I like the idea of Bernard. reports I've seen on him hes a nasty inside presense

As for the Redskins, you can't fault them for trying. Haynesworth is apparentlly a terriffic player

At this rate The Cowboys will soon be the NFC East doormat........thats incredibly amusing

Im startin' to think that will be the Eagles now, with all the people they're unloading.

man some people are frustrating(noone here)

im on another site arguing with another giants fan, hes bitchin about this signing saying reese needs to start pulling the trigger more and not trying to save a buck.

he says

What I am looking for is a guy who can shut down and disrupt short to intermediate passing offenses. They killed us all year last season, and right now, I do not see how we are better off in that area with this signing...

idiot, this is exactly the type of guy to do what you just said

damn frustrating

im on another site arguing with another giants fan, hes bitchin about this signing saying reese needs to start pulling the trigger more and not trying to save a buck.

he says

damn frustrating

Like the Skins and Cowboys do?? He obviously has not been paying attention to the NFL. You don't need to sign "big name" players to succeed. Crazy how a Giant fan wouldn't understand this, considering his team recently won a championship without such players, with Burress being the exception... somewhat.

he says

damn frustrating

Stop going to BBI, it sucks.

Stop going to BBI, it sucks.

with Antonio on the field there will always be short passing over our middle area

OLBers cannot fix that weak spot alone, they will have their own responsibilities to worry about

all you need to do is design a play to isolate Pierce on a RB, or TE.....he is totally unable to stop that

Philadelphia creamed us doing that over and over and over again

11 on 10 does not compute

with Antonio on the field there will always be short passing over our middle area

OLBers cannot fix that weak spot alone, they will have their own responsibilities to worry about

all you need to do is design a play to isolate Pierce on a RB, or TE.....he is totally unable to stop that

trust me i like spags, and i know you do as youve said things sorta like we wont be good without him(something to that effect)

but what was he doing calling plays that left pierce 1 on 1 with a rb or a tight end

Like the Skins and Cowboys do?? He obviously has not been paying attention to the NFL. You don't need to sign "big name" players to succeed. Crazy how a Giant fan wouldn't understand this, considering his team recently won a championship without such players, with Burress being the exception... somewhat.

Lol, the year we won the SB, we didn't pick up any "big name players." Kawika Mitchell was far from a big pick up, lol. BTW, who were the big spenders the year we won the SB? I bet half of them missed the playoffs

I agree we need a speedy, younger MLB in there. We should draft one, and let Antonio teach him verything he knows and mold him into the MLB that Pierce used to be. Is that Cushing guy MLB capable?

Chase Blackburn's replacement.

I tried fighting the impulse Jack, but you just set this up far too easy...LOL

i agree with you

chase looked woefully out of place at WIL, but not terrible just average...... but think about it

Chase is a MLBer, hes done extremely well at MLBer when hes started........Pierce could not play a down at WIL, as a matter of fact he is now a total embarrasment in the middle

why he is still a giant is mystifying

Lol, the year we won the SB, we didn't pick up any "big name players." Kawika Mitchell was far from a big pick up, lol. BTW, who were the big spenders the year we won the SB? I bet half of them missed the playoffs

I disagree. I knew Kawika Mitchell was a very good LB and was going to be a big pickup for us...

i agree with you

chase looked woefully out of place at WIL, but not terrible just average...... but think about it

Chase is a MLBer, hes done extremely well at MLBer when hes started........Pierce could not play a down at WIL, as a matter of fact he is now a total embarrasment in the middle

why he is still a giant is mystifying

Yah Pierce is a complete liability.

I disagree. I knew Kawika Mitchell was a very good LB and was going to be a big pickup for us...

yeah, but was he considered a big name pick-up? I knew who he was too, but I didn't think he was great, till he joined the Giants.

yeah, but was he considered a big name pick-up? I knew who he was too, but I didn't think he was great, till he joined the Giants.

No but for us he was....Mitchell was nasty in Kansas City long before he came to the Giants.

FEBRUARY 28, 2009

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - The Giants never made a formal announcement, but everyone knew they wanted to upgrade themselves at linebacker this offseason. Today, they did just that on the second day of the free agency signing period when they secured Michael Boley, who played his first four NFL seasons with the Atlanta Falcons.

The Giants improved their LB's on Saturday by signing free agent Michael Boley

Boley, 26, is 6-3 and perhaps 15 pounds above his listed weight of 223. A product of Southern Mississippi, he played primarily the strong side in Atlanta but will be the weakside backer in the Giants’ defense.

“We see him as a WIL,” Coach Tom Coughlin said. “With Michael Boley, we’ve addressed a position of need. We feel we have brought to the New York Giants an athletic, versatile linebacker. He’s a guy that has not been used a lot in blitzing or pressure, because they’ve used him in coverage. He can cover, but we think we can take advantage of his speed. He is fast and athletic. I think we can call upon him to be involved in coverage and to be a pressure linebacker. He’s also a special teams player; he played on the punt team and the punt return team, so we know we can get good value out of that.”

Boley played in all 64 games with 53 starts for the Falcons the previous four years. He had 365 tackles (260 solo), 6.0 sacks, five interceptions, five forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries and 28 passes defensed.

“Michael is a three-down player who is durable and athletic,” general manager Jerry Reese said. “He is a fast playmaker who can play both SAM and WIL. Michael will immediately upgrade our speed on defense.”

Boley said he is energized by joining a team that has made the playoffs each of the last four seasons, the NFL’s second-longest active streak.

“I’m excited,” Boley said. “It’s a new beginning. This is a great team and a great organization. I’m looking forward to getting started here.”

Boley said he also relishes the opportunity to line up on the weak side. Last year, Gerris Wilkinson, Bryan Kehl and Chase Blackburn all started at WIL for the Giants, the only one of the 22 offensive and defensive positions to have three different starters.

“It’s a different feel,” Boley said. “I did a lot of blitzing in college. In Atlanta, I played the WIL in our sub package. I think it’s going to be great for me. If the coaches want me to blitz, I’ll blitz. If they want me to cover, I’ll cover. Doing all those different things is going to be great.”

Boley joined the Falcons as a fifth-round draft choice in 2005, the 160th overall selection. As a rookie he played in all 16 games with 11 starts and finished with 60 tackles. The following season he started 14 games and had 90 tackles (including 13 in a game at New Orleans), 3.0 sacks and two interceptions.

Boley’s finest season was in 2007, when he started all 16 games and finished second on the team with a career-high 125 tackles (88 solo), 3.0 sacks, two interceptions, seven passes defensed and three forced fumbles. He led Atlanta with five double-digit tackle performances. Boley had all three sacks in the first half of a Thanksgiving night game vs. Indianapolis.

Last season, Boley started 12 regular season games and the Falcons’ NFC Wild Card Game at Arizona. He posted 90 tackles (65 solo) and added an interception.

Boley, who was born on Aug. 24, 1982, was a safety, wide receiver and running back at Elkmont High School in Alabama. At Southern Mississippi, he recorded 423 career tackles, 28.5 sacks and was a three-time All-Conference USA first-team selection. Boley was the conference’s Defensive Player of the Year as a senior, when he also received the Conerly Trophy (named for former Giants great Charlie Conerly) as the best college football player in Mississippi.

After living his entire life in the South, Boley is moving to the metropolitan area.

“It’s really going to be different,” Boley said. “I’ve never lived up north before. It’s going to take some adjusting to get used to. I came up here once some years ago; my mom is a nurse and she was up here working for a couple of months. That’s the only time I’ve been to New York. I liked it, going to see the sights and the different things in the city.”

The Giants’ offseason conditioning program begins on March 16 and Boley intends to be a regular participant.

“As soon as we get started, I’ll be here,” Boley said. “I want to come in and get to work. It’s a new team and I want to get here early and get a jump on things. We have to get better. It’s a whole new season coming up and a lot of teams have been getting better already.”

With Boley on board, the Giants are one of those teams.

As Coughlin said, “I think we’ve helped ourselves today.”

http://www.giants.com/news/headlines/story...?story_id=35714