SportsWrath

Report:Colts to cut Marvin Harrison soon

Mr. P

NFL.com's Adam Schefter reports that the Colts will release Marvin Harrison "in the coming days."

Harrison's been a Colt for 13 seasons, but his inability to separate from DBs consistently makes him unworthy of his $13.4 million cap number. The move will save $7 million under the cap, allowing Indianapolis to franchise tag free agent Kelvin Hayden. The deadline to franchise players is Thursday.

Source: NFL.com

rotoworld.com

Harrison’s Indy days are done

Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter | Tags: Indianapolis Colts, Marvin Harrison

Everyone keeps focusing on WR Terrell Owens‘ future with the Cowboys. But the more pressing issues surround Colts WR Marvin Harrison.

It’s no longer a question of if Harrison, 36, will be let go. It has become a question of when. It will happen in the coming days, certainly before the new league year starts a week from Friday, but few are sure exactly when.

But make no mistake: It is happening. The Colts no longer can afford to carry Harrison, who is scheduled to have a $13.4 million number for an Indianapolis team that is starving for more salary-cap room to deal with free-agents-to-be such as CB Kelvin Hayden.

If the Colts were to release Harrison, his $13.4 million number instantly would come off the books, saving the team $7 million against the cap. Harrison still would count $6.4 million in dead money, but more importantly, there would be the $7 million savings.

Plus, the Colts have been bracing for this day, drafting Anthony Gonzalez in the first round and grooming young WRs Roy Hall and Pierre Garcon.

The Colts’ first-round draft pick in 1996, Harrison will finish his Indianapolis career with 1,102 catches for 14,580 yards and 128 touchdowns.

It was a great career. The last chapter soon will be written.

Wow Peyton's go to guy is gone....sounds like another Manning I know....

Anyways I wonder if they go for a WR in this draft, Wayne moves to number one and that Anthony guy doesnt look like a number two but I'm not going to question the Colts.

where have you been? Wayne's been the number 1 for years now.

where have you been? Wayne's been the number 1 for years now.

I was going to say the same thing. Wayne has been #1 for 2 seasons. Harrison has been battling leg injuries and has clearly lost a step.

Not sure why you posted this but if you think the Giants should go after him you're nuts.

I was going to say the same thing. Wayne has been #1 for 2 seasons. Harrison has been battling leg injuries and has clearly lost a step.

Not sure why you posted this but if you think the Giants should go after him you're nuts.

i dont think we should but WR's becoming available is at least food for thought

i dont think we should but WR's becoming available is at least food for thought

Food for thought? Harrison is about as appetizing as a piece of venison that has been sitting in the field for a week. I appreciate the thought, the Giants need a WR, but to even think Harrison is a legit answer.....well you get my drift. Venison that has been in the field for a week.

Food for thought? Harrison is about as appetizing as a piece of venison that has been sitting in the field for a week. I appreciate the thought, the Giants need a WR, but to even think Harrison is a legit answer.....well you get my drift. Venison that has been in the field for a week.

Isn't that, like, dry aging?