SportsWrath

Derrick Ward - a bit too talkative..

BurnThePhilFans

Caught his interview on ESPN. I mean comeon Ward - we all know you want your money, but you can atleast pretend that you want to stay on the team and say some politically correct things. He basically shut the door on any possibility of him returning. Like I said, I think Bradshaw can step in and we won't miss a beat, but to see a player we have kept on the roster through a history of injuries kind of saying there's no chance of him staying - I found that to be a little messed up.

Caught his interview on ESPN. I mean comeon Ward - we all know you want your money, but you can atleast pretend that you want to stay on the team and say some politically correct things. He basically shut the door on any possibility of him returning. Like I said, I think Bradshaw can step in and we won't miss a beat, but to see a player we have kept on the roster through a history of injuries kind of saying there's no chance of him staying - I found that to be a little messed up.

I hope he doesn't suffer the ssame fate as Lewis Tillman. :unsure:

He is on NFL Network today with Antonio Pierce. They asked them both who are the fastest players they've seen (not just on the team, but in the NFL). Pierce said Michael Jennings, and Ward said Sinorice Moss :o . Also, Pierce looks very comfortable doing this sort of the thing, he definitely has a future in broadcasting after he retires from football. Ward... uh, not so much.

Ward is going to find out 2 very important things. In this economy a guy who has never been what we can call durable and a 25 carry a game back is not gonna get the money he expects and more importantly its a little more difficult not running behind a Giant offensive line thats one of the best in the league and facing defense that Jacobs softens up for him.

With that said, can anyone blame the guy for wanting the money?

Ward is going to find out 2 very important things. In this economy a guy who has never been what we can call durable and a 25 carry a game back is not gonna get the money he expects and more importantly its a little more difficult not running behind a Giant offensive line thats one of the best in the league and facing defense that Jacobs softens up for him.

Fair enough, but Ward ran the ball well last year when Jacobs was hurt and not there to soften the defense, in fact he was up there with the rushing leaders in the league until Jacobs came back.

The whole thing though about having a good offensive line shouldn't be as big of a factor as it is. Fact is, unless you're barry sanders, everyone needs a good offensive line. If you watch some of the games (I'm not saying you guys don't), Ward was getting good yardage early in games, because he was doing a good job finding his holes and accelarating through them, and IMO, he was better than jacobs at doing that.

I think Ward is well deserving of what he gets, and he should definitely be making a play for big bucks now. If a team like Arizona with a decent o-line, release Edge, then that would be a perfect home for him, cause I don't think Hightower is up to much.

Fair enough, but Ward ran the ball well last year when Jacobs was hurt and not there to soften the defense, in fact he was up there with the rushing leaders in the league until Jacobs came back.

The whole thing though about having a good offensive line shouldn't be as big of a factor as it is. Fact is, unless you're barry sanders, everyone needs a good offensive line. If you watch some of the games (I'm not saying you guys don't), Ward was getting good yardage early in games, because he was doing a good job finding his holes and accelarating through them, and IMO, he was better than jacobs at doing that.

I think Ward is well deserving of what he gets, and he should definitely be making a play for big bucks now. If a team like Arizona with a decent o-line, release Edge, then that would be a perfect home for him, cause I don't think Hightower is up to much.

Ward did not have one single 100 yard game with Jacobs out of the lineup and averaged almost .8yards/carry more with Jacobs in the lineup then without.

My guess is you are talking about 2007, Jacobs played in 13 games in 2008, missing the Zona, 2nd Dallas and Minny game. He did only play 1/2 vs the Eagles in the 2nd game. In those three games Ward never reached the 100 yard mark averaging 3.5 vs the Cards, 4.6 vs the Cowboys and 5.1 vs the Vikes. Comparatively in other games where Jacobs was there he had games of 100 yards twice and on other occasions averaged gaudy numbers like 7.8, 8.9, 10.1 and 14.3 yards per carry. In fact all you need to know about the succes he had because of what Jacobs brought to the table could be seen in the Carolina game and heard in his post game comments.

You can continue to disagree with every point I make on whatever the Giants subject is, but no one is ever going to tell me that Ward did not benefit from a terrific o line and a complementary back who absolutely laid the wood on the defense to make it easier on him. Of course every back needs a good O line, this guy had the best in the league.

BTW, I know you watch the games so you know that Zonas rush offense and particualrly yards/carry were the worst in the league in yards gained and second worst in yards/attempt so that must have been a typo when you were reffering to good o lines.

First off x. Have you seen the traffic on this forum recently?. Because there's maybe 6-7 of us posting these days. So few in fact that I have responded back to several posts where I'm not agreeing with the person. It's not just you and it's not personal. Frankly, you're being a bit touchy about that, and if you think I'm just out to counteract your point, then I'll keep that in mind in the future.

I made a point yesterday implying that you claimed that Tynes was booming kickoffs when you didn't. I was wrong in saying that. Fuck, I've posted topics where the actual topic is wrong, it happens. Perhaps I should have said something then, but these days, I tend to just drop arguments when I feel it's going no where.

In regards to Ward, yes, I was referring to 2007, in terms of football seasons. You are correct about him not gaining 100 yards, but I don't see how gaining 100 yards is the barometer for a good running game. During those games he was 4-5 in the league in rushing.And please note, even though I made the comment about Ward being better at finding holes, overall Jacobs is the better back. I acknowledge that.

In regards to the Cards, seriously speaking, how good do you think James and Hightower would have been behind our offensive line. Do you really think that both of those guys right now are products of a bad offensive line. Keep in mind, that because the Cards are a throw first team, defenses gear to that, so if anything, it's more of an advantage to the running game. Derrick Ward, no matter how his career may be a product of our system, has talent enough to be better than both of those guys.

That's all I'm saying on this, let's move on.

Considering the fact that he only carried the ball more than 15 times in one game all season - the 100 yard mark is not a fair measure of what he did for us. I still think that Bradshaw will put up 700+ and more receiving yards then Ward however.

But he did not carry the ball more than 15 times all season... who's to say that he can or would have the same or more effectiveness if he did? I see your point but I agree with xxi, that Ward's value is really as a complimentary back, and he would fail on another team as a feature back getting 25+ carries per game, even if that team had a comparable offensive line as us.

The greater point is that Ward will not find a very good market out there for his services. You look around the league and can you tell me one single team that doesn't have at least one very good running back? And then after that you have to consider that you have Knowshon Moreno and Beanie Wells coming into the league as well, in addition to the other rookie backs that may have a big impact (a la Chris Johnson in '07), and we haven't even started talking about the RB competition that is also on the free agent market like Fred Taylor, Correll Buckalter, Deuce McAlister, Rudi Johnson, Kevin Jones, Dominic Rhodes, and many more. The market is not good for running backs.

First off x. Have you seen the traffic on this forum recently?. Because there's maybe 6-7 of us posting these days. So few in fact that I have responded back to several posts where I'm not agreeing with the person. It's not just you and it's not personal. Frankly, you're being a bit touchy about that, and if you think I'm just out to counteract your point, then I'll keep that in mind in the future.

I made a point yesterday implying that you claimed that Tynes was booming kickoffs when you didn't. I was wrong in saying that. Fuck, I've posted topics where the actual topic is wrong, it happens. Perhaps I should have said something then, but these days, I tend to just drop arguments when I feel it's going no where.

In regards to Ward, yes, I was referring to 2007, in terms of football seasons. You are correct about him not gaining 100 yards, but I don't see how gaining 100 yards is the barometer for a good running game. During those games he was 4-5 in the league in rushing.And please note, even though I made the comment about Ward being better at finding holes, overall Jacobs is the better back. I acknowledge that.

In regards to the Cards, seriously speaking, how good do you think James and Hightower would have been behind our offensive line. Do you really think that both of those guys right now are products of a bad offensive line. Keep in mind, that because the Cards are a throw first team, defenses gear to that, so if anything, it's more of an advantage to the running game. Derrick Ward, no matter how his career may be a product of our system, has talent enough to be better than both of those guys.

That's all I'm saying on this, let's move on.

Sorry that you read that wrong, what I really was trying to emphasize is that you could disagree with every point I make from here on out but this one I feel pretty strong about, Sorry for the confusion.

But he did not carry the ball more than 15 times all season... who's to say that he can or would have the same or more effectiveness if he did? I see your point but I agree with xxi, that Ward's value is really as a complimentary back, and he would fail on another team as a feature back getting 25+ carries per game, even if that team had a comparable offensive line as us.

The greater point is that Ward will not find a very good market out there for his services. You look around the league and can you tell me one single team that doesn't have at least one very good running back? And then after that you have to consider that you have Knowshon Moreno and Beanie Wells coming into the league as well, in addition to the other rookie backs that may have a big impact (a la Chris Johnson in '07), and we haven't even started talking about the RB competition that is also on the free agent market like Fred Taylor, Correll Buckalter, Deuce McAlister, Rudi Johnson, Kevin Jones, Dominic Rhodes, and many more. The market is not good for running backs.

I actually do think he would excel on one team - and that is the team that is likely to grab him (The Denver Broncos)

I agree with you but apparently the San Diego Chargers don't.......................

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

Sorry that you read that wrong, what I really was trying to emphasize is that you could disagree with every point I make from here on out but this one I feel pretty strong about, Sorry for the confusion.

You can continue to disagree with every point I make on whatever the Giants subject is

No offense x, but when you write it like this, I'm not sure of another way to understand it. All I could take from this was maybe you thought I was disagreeing with you too much. We've had differing opinions over several issues, either the 2000 Giants or the whole Carney/Tynes deal. Either way, I respect your opinion, agree or not.

Most of those RBs are at the end of their careers and did not even come close to having a successful year like Ward. I could name a few now that will probably think about paying Ward decent money; Arizona, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, New Orleans and Cleveland. I think now that Arizona made it to the SB and the good RB won't be available for them in the draft, are also well under the cap, that Ward would be a good fit with Hightower.

the dog thinks you have to move beyond the whole team loyalty concept. at least in this day and age. the fact is, ward either thinks he is as good as his numbers showed, and deserving of a starting role and more money, or he is aware that his best chance at a big pay off is here and now coming off the year he has had in a shared role and so he is going for it...either way, the dog agrees with xxi - who can blame him? he has one opportunity left to land a starting job for a better contract. if he goes on and talks about how he loves the giants and desperately wants to be a giant, it may shy other teams away...present like you are wanting the opportunity to play elsewhere, and you may get what you want...

He is on NFL Network today with Antonio Pierce. They asked them both who are the fastest players they've seen (not just on the team, but in the NFL). Pierce said Michael Jennings, and Ward said Sinorice Moss :o . Also, Pierce looks very comfortable doing this sort of the thing, he definitely has a future in broadcasting after he retires from football. Ward... uh, not so much.

Ward already worked in TV, behind the scenes actually.

Well here's one team already:

Browns willing to keep QB Anderson, express interest in Ward

INDIANAPOLIS -- General manager George Kokinis said Friday that the Cleveland Browns are in no hurry to get rid of Derek Anderson and were willing to let Anderson battle Brady Quinn for the starting quarterback job.

Kokinis was in Indianapolis for the annual NFL scouting combine.

There has been speculation that the Browns wanted to get rid of Anderson because of his $5 million roster bonus, due next month.

Neither Anderson nor Quinn finished last season because of injuries.

In a separate meeting with reporters from Northeastern Ohio, new Browns coach Eric Mangini expressed interest in Giants running back Derrick Ward. Ward will become a free agent next week.

The 5-foot-11, 228-pound Ward rushed for 1,025 yards for the Giants last season. He will be 29 in August.