SportsWrath

Eli, Jacobs, Tuck and even Jerry Reese want Plax back

Plow

Wonderful, I want him back too.

But we still have to get another WR no matter what because it's not up to any of us, even Reese, on whether or not he's coming back.

The prosecutors, the NYPD, a judge and a jury are going to have a lot bigger say in that. And even if they let him go, who is to say Roger Goodell hasn't had his way yet?

What cracks me up is that we should have had this level of scrutiny and oversight when Ray Lewis didn't see "motherfucking thing". :lol: Lucky for him all his stuff happened before the dawn of the present era....otherwise he would be on a years long suspension.

What cracks me up is that we should have had this level of scrutiny and oversight when Ray Lewis didn't see "motherfucking thing". :lol: Lucky for him all his stuff happened before the dawn of the present era....otherwise he would be on a years long suspension.

Goodel is going to drop the hammer on him no matter what. I wish the league would take into consideration that his own team suspended him for 6 games but of course that doesn't count for shit.

Goodel is going to drop the hammer on him no matter what. I wish the league would take into consideration that his own team suspended him for 6 games but of course that doesn't count for shit.

That's what kills me....because the Giants had to do it because Mayor for Life Papa Doc Bloomberg created such a hostile atmosphere and media frenzy. Jesus, I almost wished those assholes had realized it was a graze and just done some home healing. What an idiot Plax is....a wife and kid at home, he decides to get lap dances with that other idiot with a fine ass wife waiting for them at home. Listen you want to bang around...don't get MARRIED!!! Straight simple and to the point. And important news flash: YOUR LIFE WILL CHANGE AFTER MARRIAGE!!! LOL!!! Even when you are a big time football player or candlestick maker. Its just the nature of the beast. So get prepared to give up some of the hobbies; less me or alone time; you have to make plans with another individual's interest in mind. Don't walk down the aisle because its the thing to do....because it isn't. His mom once described him as being a rebel without a cause and its too bad that she is no longer on this Earth, because I believe she would have been one of the few people to reach him.

Well lets hope the New York justice system doesn't want him back or we could be looking at a conflict of interest.

If we can get Burress back next season, I see no reason to get another top receiver through free agency.

The Giants can still develop the WR's behind Burress and we should. Hixon sure didn't look like a top receiver the last few games this season but that doesn't mean he will not develop into one and that goes for Manningham as well.

Plaxico is going to jail, and the Giants know it. This is just window dressing.

It's time to turn the page and find a wide receiver that the Giants can depend on. With a 1st, and 2 2nds, the Giants need to target an impact receiver and an impact linebacker.

a 1st time offender can in all likelyhood plea to a lesser charge and avoid jailtime

DA's love plea bargaining

I know Pdub....but with all of the pre-trial publicity and Mayor For Life Papa Doc Bloomberg calling for his head, the Manhattan DA may be forced to play hardball. And Plax has a great well known defense attorney and he is not going to stick Plax' head into the lion's mouth just to satisfy Bloomie. So if they play hardball its going to trial where Plax will probably walk.

I know Pdub....but with all of the pre-trial publicity and Mayor For Life Papa Doc Bloomberg calling for his head, the Manhattan DA may be forced to play hardball. And Plax has a great well known defense attorney and he is not going to stick Plax' head into the lion's mouth just to satisfy Bloomie. So if they play hardball its going to trial where Plax will probably walk.

you think if it goes to trial he walks?

you think if it goes to trial he walks?

Yeah I think he has a good chance....because his lawyer will bring up the whole he did not hurt anyone other than himself; he did not rob a liquor store; go to mug someone; stage a home invasion; etc. Also he will bring up the fact that a Giant was held up at his home (Smith?) and that this inspired some anxiety in him in that he is a celebrity and an easy target. He will also point out that he was handing the gun over to the Clubs security when asked. Lastly the lawyer will bring up all of the murders, robberies and muggings that happened that night that are still unsolved when compared to the hysteria over what happened that night with Plax. No NY jury would ever give a 12 person vote for a conviction. At worst it would be a mistrial. So the DA has to be careful not to overreach. But its that human fossil Morgenthau (who really needs to retire or die as some of enemies would hope for so some new blood can get in there...the man is in his mid 80's and has definitely lost more than a step) who really has to decide how far he can push this. I think Plax could win on all of the negative pre-trial publicity alone.

Yeah I think he has a good chance....because his lawyer will bring up the whole he did not hurt anyone other than himself; he did not rob a liquor store; go to mug someone; stage a home invasion; etc. Also he will bring up the fact that a Giant was held up at his home (Smith?) and that this inspired some anxiety in him in that he is a celebrity and an easy target. He will also point out that he was handing the gun over to the Clubs security when asked. Lastly the lawyer will bring up all of the murders, robberies and muggings that happened that night that are still unsolved when compared to the hysteria over what happened that night with Plax. No NY jury would ever give a 12 person vote for a conviction. At worst it would be a mistrial. So the DA has to be careful not to overreach. But its that human fossil Morgenthau (who really needs to retire or die as some of enemies would hope for so some new blood can get in there...the man is in his mid 80's and has definitely lost more than a step) who really has to decide how far he can push this. I think Plax could win on all of the negative pre-trial publicity alone.

bad part about that is i think if it goes to trial we probably dont see plax back in blue

thats why my wish is for a plea bargain with no jail time and hopefully only a 4 game suspension because of the suspension given this season would be in total like an 8 game suspension.

All of these favorable arguments could all be moot depending on how the law is written. And they can't bring up other unsolved crimes in defending Burress.

I actually read that Burress' defense attorney got a rapper off on similar charges many years ago. NY subsequently changed the law to make sure that never happens again, and it is this more recent law that obviously applies to Plax.

Why would a jury have any sympathy? The economy is crumbling, people are losing their homes, and this guy gets paid 30 million to play a game and this is what he does? This is a tough sell. If this goes to trial, I'll bet he does time.

Because in the end, the economy crumbling and people losing their homes has nothing to do with the case in front of jury.

All of these favorable arguments could all be moot depending on how the law is written. And they can't bring up other unsolved crimes in defending Burress.

I actually read that Burress' defense attorney got a rapper off on similar charges many years ago. NY subsequently changed the law to make sure that never happens again, and it is this more recent law that obviously applies to Plax.

Why would a jury have any sympathy? The economy is crumbling, people are losing their homes, and this guy gets paid 30 million to play a game and this is what he does? This is a tough sell. If this goes to trial, I'll bet he does time.

Because in the end, the economy crumbling and people losing their homes has nothing to do with the case in front of jury.

It does in the context of whether these people will have sympathy for the million dollar man.

So people should base their opinions/emotions on people based on how much money they have?

What do they teach down in America?

Two issues: First, what is getting lost in all of this is that a jury who follows the letter of the law will most likely convict Burress if what I have heard about the law is true. They will not have the descretion to bring $ and other issues in. I was responding to another poster who basically argues that if a jury exercised discretion it would be in Burress' favor. I disagree.

As far as the opinions/emotions issue, juries are human and will sometimes bend the law for those they like or sympathize with. It may not be right, but it is human nature. I doubt that a jury is going to have much sympathy for a wealthy, pampered professional football player who acts as though he is above the law. It's not that people should base opinions/emotions on $, but in a case like this, Burress $ could matter. And it will certainly matter if he attempts to argue that he carried the gun illegally to protect himself. Take your millions and hire a security guard!

I have a feeling he will do time as well... Although 3 and a half years seems very steep especially with the other kind of low lifes out there doing much worse

Unfortunately he is right about sticking to the letter of the law. I have the painful experience of being a first year law student and while all the factors TCB mentioned should be taken into consideration, it will be tough to navigate around the letter of the law and the statute itself

Yes the statute is pretty strict...however anything can happen with a jury....and no matter what he does including using his challenges regarding certain jurors there will be someone or many someones on that jury with a first hand experience with crime where a gun was involved. A many will be unsolved cases and/or cases where justice was not fervently applied. I have a couple of lawyers in my family as well; and they tell me he has a fairly good case...especially if his attorney goes the comparison sympathy route. And his attorney is good enough to pull it off. But if he tries to win the case on fighting the statute...he will lose.