SportsWrath

ESPN article on Jacob's injury

Allstarjim

Jacobs: 'No idea what is going on about' status

Associated Press

Updated: December 10, 2008, 4:57 PM ET

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- With the NFL regular-season winding down, New York Giants halfback Brandon Jacobs is nicked and bruised like many NFL players.

The big halfback hurt his left knee against the Seattle Seahawks in early October. He tweaked his right knee against the Baltimore Ravens in early November and then aggravated his left knee again this past weekend in a loss to the Philadelphia Eagles.

Jacobs didn't practice Wednesday, and his status for Sunday's game against the Dallas Cowboys (8-5) is uncertain for a number of reasons.

The Giants (11-2) have already qualified for the playoffs, and many would argue the smart thing would be for coach Tom Coughlin to rest his No. 1 running back and have him ready for the playoffs.

The other argument is that the Giants have not locked up either a first-round bye or home-field advantage for the postseason, so they should use Jacobs until they do that.

Coughlin has said all season that he will follow the advice of team physicians regarding injuries.

"I have no idea what is going on about Sunday," Jacobs said. "I wish I could be out there. We have this nice playoff run we need to make. I want to be healthy for that as well."

Jacobs has been outstanding pounding the ball inside with his 6-foot-4, 264-pound frame. He has gained 1,002 yards in 12 games, averaging 5.1 yards. He has also scored 12 touchdowns.

"We love Brandon Jacobs," said backup halfback Derrick Ward. "He is a heck of a running back. He is a smart running back. His first two years he didn't understand the game or the pass protections; now he is trying to teach me stuff and [running backs coach] Gerald Ingram stuff. He has become a student of the game."

That's a big reason why the Giants want him ready for the postseason.

So far, the injuries have caused Jacobs to miss one game. He sat out a victory over the Arizona Cardinals, a week after the injury to his right knee.

The left one is the bigger concern now.

"It's the same knee, the same spot," Jacobs said. "It's just something that keeps nagging and nagging. But me going out and playing on it the last seven weeks, it didn't make it any better. I have to do what they tell me to do and hope it gets better."

If Jacobs does not play, Ward will start and be backed up by Ahmad Bradshaw.

Link

I don't like the sound of this. Brandon has been a warrior but we need him fresh for the playoffs. Shut him down Tom, and let's try to win a game or two without him. If we lose to both Cowboys and Panthers, maybe we can bring him back for Minnesota, and he can have two weeks off after that. But judging by the quotes, and knowing that Jacobs tends to downplay injuries a bit, this seems like its a problem.

Better let him sit this week if he not ready to go.

Damn, OK, we get it. You dont have to keep saying it. :P

I definately say sit Jacobs, at least this week, if not the remaining 3 games. We are capapble of winning w/o him as we saw against AZ and SEA. I know the last 3 teams are probably better than those 2, but really, whats the worst we could end up? I dont see any worse than the 3 seed, and 1 or 2 looks very realistic, even if we win only one or none.

Damn, OK, we get it. You dont have to keep saying it. :P

I definately say sit Jacobs, at least this week, if not the remaining 3 games. We are capapble of winning w/o him as we saw against AZ and SEA. I know the last 3 teams are probably better than those 2, but really, whats the worst we could end up? I dont see any worse than the 3 seed, and 1 or 2 looks very realistic, even if we win only one or none.

hmmm how about dressing him and having him on the bench and make the cowboys game plan for him (they already did Wade want's 10 in the box LOL) and then throw throw throw on the beat up Dallas secondary ? Then when its 3rd and 2 or something put Jacobs in as a decoy and throw again

This is the second straight season (or correct me if I'm wrong third straight season) Jacobs has had to miss time due to injury.

Maybe he shouldn't or won't get as big of a contract this offseason as he thinks.

true, but you can't argue with what he brings when he's healthy. He gets beat up because his knees are the only way to bring him down.

true, but you can't argue with what he brings when he's healthy. He gets beat up because his knees are the only way to bring him down.

He's deadly when he's on the field, no doubt. Do you see him getting a massive contract though? I'm sure he'll get payed, but not as much as the top backs in the league.

He's deadly when he's on the field, no doubt. Do you see him getting a massive contract though? I'm sure he'll get payed, but not as much as the top backs in the league.

Massive no, but I do think he'll get an offer from us that he'll be content with.

With Reese I don't see a lot of players getting massive contracts (relative to other league leaders).