SportsWrath

Gilbride

Lughead

Gilbride's Future  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Does Gilbride Deserve to Stay or Should he leave?

• Stay
    • Leave
    • Needs to change in order to stay
    • Needs to change nothing in order to stay
    • Sports a cool Due even in the driving wind the rivals even Jimmy Johnson so he stays.

If coordinating a run through the playoffs, a superbowl win, the highest points in the league, and an 11-2 record don't define very good OC, what does? :confused:

And seemingly solving what was "wrong" with Eli, I can't think of much more.

Maybe he needs to cure cancer, AIDS, SARS and the bird flu.

Maybe he can singlehandly solve the economic crisis the U.S. is currently in?

Can he get us out of Iraq?

Can he attain world peace?

If coordinating a run through the playoffs, a superbowl win, the highest points in the league, and an 11-2 record don't define very good OC, what does? :confused:

I'm too tired to think about the specifics, but there have been a few games this year where he has either blown the game or made it closer than it needed to be.

Cleveland - went away from the run when the Browns couldn't stop it even though Eli couldn't hit shit.

Cincy - some fucked up play calling

Eagles - again, close game and he keeps trying to throw it in a hurricane.

He did the same shit against the Skins last year when the wind was kicking in Giants stadium. It's like he tries to make the offense too balanced when he doesn't need to, it's not every game, but the games Eli is having problems it's like he wants him to throw his way out of it.

27giants.1.600.jpg

AND WHEN I TELL YOU TO FUCK UP, I MEAN DO IT ROYALLY

If they fine Plax enough, maybe so.

Top 6 offense in yards per game and number one in rushing per game.

Has a bad day and all of a sudden we should let him go. :rolleyes:

Exactly. I'd also remind you that Jimmy Johnson draws a paycheck, too and is pretty good at what he does....and on this day, he was a step ahead of Gilbride and Eli at every turn. Did you see them flipping through the pre-snap and post-snap pictures on the sidelines, with a "what the fuck?" look on their faces? Some days, especially against a good, desperate opponent, just go that way. Last time, in Philly, it went the other way. That's life in the NFL.

Given the body of work, which includes last year's playoff run, a Super Bowl Championship, then boasting one of the top scoring teams in the NFL, in route to a 10-1 record, which included 6 straight wins against teams with winning records, you can't over-react to one bad day!

the dog finds it comical that for the better part of 13 weeks, everyone has talked about the giants on both sides of the ball being this juggernaut. incredible run game, manning being so effective...one of the top rated offenses...etc...and now, one bad loss and it is time to fire the coordinator...

the dog finds it comical that for the better part of 13 weeks, everyone has talked about the giants on both sides of the ball being this juggernaut. incredible run game, manning being so effective...one of the top rated offenses...etc...and now, one bad loss and it is time to fire the coordinator...

See, thats a lack of paying attention, there has been a few of us the whole season saying Gillbride might not be as good as advertised. It's not just this one game, I know i started a thread after the Cincy game, and have made comments throughout the season. I'm not necessarily saying he should be fired, but I am pointing out his obvious flaws.

See, thats a lack of paying attention, there has been a few of us the whole season saying Gillbride might not be as good as advertised. It's not just this one game, I know i started a thread after the Cincy game, and have made comments throughout the season. I'm not necessarily saying he should be fired, but I am pointing out his obvious flaws.

As far as some on this Board are concerned, not being perfect is a "flaw"!

This goes back to when he took over the job. It's nothing new. We've long been a house divided when it comes to Gilbride.

it doesn't matter what the take has been all year, the fact is, the giants offense has been pretty impressive this season...the dog is just saying that with all of what they have accomplished offensively, it is difficult to argue that the coordinator is that flawed...

it doesn't matter what the take has been all year, the fact is, the giants offense has been pretty impressive this season...the dog is just saying that with all of what they have accomplished offensively, it is difficult to argue that the coordinator is that flawed...

I was arguing that you implied I have been on the Gillbride bus all year and after one poor game jumped off, thats not true. I accept the fact we have a potent offense, and he gets credit for that, but I am not alone in the thought that he likes to force the passing game in less than ideal situations when the running game is very effective.

I was arguing that you implied I have been on the Gillbride bus all year and after one poor game jumped off, thats not true. I accept the fact we have a potent offense, and he gets credit for that, but I am not alone in the thought that he likes to force the passing game in less than ideal situations when the running game is very effective.

OK, let me ask you this: will there ever be an OC that you, me and everyone else agrees with everything he does? I hear you on forcing the pass upon occasion...but it's hard to argue with the results. I'm just saying that the OC does a ton more than call plays - play design, personnel packages, etc - and if the worst you can say about the guy is, "I'd like him to run it a little more", I wonder how many other OCs would draw less criticism?

OK, let me ask you this: will there ever be an OC that you, me and everyone else agrees with everything he does? I hear you on forcing the pass upon occasion...but it's hard to argue with the results. I'm just saying that the OC does a ton more than call plays - play design, personnel packages, etc - and if the worst you can say about the guy is, "I'd like him to run it a little more", I wonder how many other OCs would draw less criticism?

I've said before in one of these carry over threads that I am probably being too picky on a really good team, but I keep seeing the same thing every week, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Again, it's being picky, but it's just my belief.

My beef with Gillbride is his penchant for giving up on a working running game to force the passing game in the name of balance when it's not needed. It's not about "running a little more" it's almost completely abandoning the running game WHEN THE OTHER TEAM HAS SHOWN THEY CAN'T STOP IT that gets under my skin. Against the Skins in the rain, less than ideal conditions but they shut down the run so we had to pass, no issues there. Against the Eagles in a hurricane with tyhe running game going well we keep forcing the pass, how many of Eli's passes did we see sailing? Top that off with receivers dropping balls and the fact the game was never a blowout, we didn't need to pass the ball more than 15-20 times tops, we could have controlled the T.O.P (which we did in the first half i believe, or at least the first quarter) and kept the game where we wanted it.

I've said before in one of these carry over threads that I am probably being too picky on a really good team, but I keep seeing the same thing every week, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Again, it's being picky, but it's just my belief.

My beef with Gillbride is his penchant for giving up on a working running game to force the passing game in the name of balance when it's not needed. It's not about "running a little more" it's almost completely abandoning the running game WHEN THE OTHER TEAM HAS SHOWN THEY CAN'T STOP IT that gets under my skin. Against the Skins in the rain, less than ideal conditions but they shut down the run so we had to pass, no issues there. Against the Eagles in a hurricane with tyhe running game going well we keep forcing the pass, how many of Eli's passes did we see sailing? Top that off with receivers dropping balls and the fact the game was never a blowout, we didn't need to pass the ball more than 15-20 times tops, we could have controlled the T.O.P (which we did in the first half i believe, or at least the first quarter) and kept the game where we wanted it.

But we only ran 51 plays - 24 runs, 27 passes. Problem was, we had a 3.7 rushing average and too many runs were for little gain, forcing us into tough 3rd downs (I think Jacobs had a 20 yarder and Ward an 11. Outside of those two runs, we had 22 rushes for 57 yards) ...and we were terrible on 3rd down - 3 for 11. I can remember only a few 5 yard plus runs on first down. 2nd & 8 puts you in a tough spot and 3rd and anything was deadly yesterday. Hard to get a running game going under those circumstances.

Sometimes I think he has some flashbacks to his days with the Oilers in the Astrodome running that run and shoot Warren Moon offense, but for the most part he does a good job of what his Head coach feels is the fundamental way to run an offense, power run game to set up a passing game with play action and deep balls.

I just think that sometimes he has a brain fart once in a while and thinks its 1991 and he has Warren Moon, Haywood Jeffries, Drew Hill and Alonzo Highsmith.

But we only ran 51 plays - 24 runs, 27 passes. Problem was, we had a 3.7 rushing average and too many runs were for little gain, forcing us into tough 3rd downs (I think Jacobs had a 20 yarder and Ward an 11. Outside of those two runs, we had 22 rushes for 57 yards) ...and we were terrible on 3rd down - 3 for 11. I can remember only a few 5 yard plus runs on first down. 2nd & 8 puts you in a tough spot and 3rd and anything was deadly yesterday. Hard to get a running game going under those circumstances.

We had 3.7 only when you add in Manningham's reverse, which technically it should be added but he's not exactly one of the reasons we lead the league in rushing.

Here's a breakdown of how and why our offense could not get into a rythym:

1st down plays: 22

1st down runs: 12

1st down passes: 10

YPCarry on 1st down: 5.9

YPComp on 1st down: 5.4

Breakdown of passing on 1st before Philly went into prevent: 1 for 6 for 5 yards.

After Philly went into prevent: 4/4 for 22 yards 1 TD.

The bold is the primary thing we Gilbride dissenters are bitching about here. You throw in the weather and it's just ridiculous.

In addition to this we had 15 2nd and long plays. We ran the ball on 11 of those. Most of the time setting up a 3rd and long. Just seems like Gilbride outthinks himself sometimes.

Take away the reverse and it's a 4.3 ypc average, and thats running the majority of the time to the outside, which like it has already been stated, is not the best approach against a faster defense, but I'm not that miffed at that because thats where Jacobs excells.

As for 3rd down conversions, on 3rd downs we passed 9 times and ran twice, 4 of those throws were 3rd and 5 or less.

I'll give him a little respect because of this season in terms of points and the fact we're 11-2.

But...he is not a very good OC.

Out of curiousity, who IS a very good OC? Who are the play-calling virtuosos around the league that Gilbride should aspire to emulate?

Out of curiousity, who IS a very good OC? Who are the play-calling virtuosos around the league that Gilbride should aspire to emulate?

The only guy that comes to mind is McDaniels.

I guess people always think there can be a lot better. I'm hard pressed to think of a guy who would run our offense more effectively and have the amount of continuity he has with his players. That part of him is really underrated. Whatever the players see they have no problem going over to him and explaining it. Not call a private meeting excluding the QB and TE...

I feel ya....more than anything else I think his biggest flaw is that he can be too stubborn when it comes to in game adjustments. Everyone and their mother (except Madden who talks like he has marbles plus Romo's cock and balls in his mouth) who knows anything about the game was saying that the 5-7 step drops must stop when faced with edge rushers; you need a hot/short RB on every play so that the QB can safety valve for 3 or 4 yards as opposed to holding onto the ball and getting sacked because the down field play is too slow developing; and keep after the run even when Jacobs is not playing to slow down the rush. Lastly there were comments that he is too predictable in terms of play calling. For example take a guess of what kind of play is coming whenever you see Moss or Manningham come in. LOL!!! If we as laymen can think of some reverse, slip screen or gimmick play....what do you think the guys who get paid for it think.