SportsWrath

Uh oh... Let's hope this in minor

Dragon

AP Injured

Giants' Pierce misses practice again

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- Middle linebacker Antonio Pierce plans to play against the Cleveland Browns on Monday despite missing two straight practices with a thigh injury.

"I will never miss a game unless I am on IR, so I'll be there," Pierce said Friday.

Pierce was vague when asked how he hurt his thigh, but indicated it probably happened when he was running during the Giants' 44-6 win over the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday.

"We expect Pierce will work tomorrow," coach Tom Coughlin said. "Right now we are expecting that he will go."

If Pierce can't play, Chase Blackburn would replace him.

"I'll tell you what: Chase jumps in there and does a really nice job," defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo said. "He has been around a long time. And the one thing about Chase is every time that I will turn to talk to Antonio, like in prior weeks, he will be right there with an ear. He is smart; he gets it. He knows what it is like to be a backup in the NFL. When his time comes, he just steps in."

Pierce was questionable on Friday's injury report with a quadricep injury. He was flip when asked about it.

"It is mental," he said, adding that the Giants' 4-0 record is making him nervous.

When asked if he was worried about the injury, Pierce got serious.

"No, not at all," he said. "I will be there Monday night, 8:30, you will see me."

Pierce also indicated he wanted to play Monday because the Browns (1-3) have done a little trash talking about the Giants' offense not being physical.

"It is always good when somebody is taking a shot at somebody," Pierce said. "At least you know we are being looked at and they are taking notice of us. Hats off to them. What else would you do if you were 1-3? You have to do something to fire up your team.

"I don't knock the guys for doing what they are doing. It is no different than what I did last year or what other guys on this team did when we were down. They are doing whatever they need to do to rally their troops and get their home stadium fired up for Monday night football. It should be fun in the Dawg Pound."

Right tackle Kareem McKenzie, who suffered a concussion on Sunday, practiced and is feeling better.

Receiver Domenik Hixon, who also suffered a concussion, took part in most of the workout, Coughlin said.

Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

It's pish, I'm not worried.

Quad injuries are not bad. It affects your speed a little but once you warm up, you don't feel any pain. I'd be worried if it was a hamstring injury.. yours truly has had 3 of 'em.

Quad injuries are not bad. It affects your speed a little but once you warm up, you don't feel any pain. I'd be worried if it was a hamstring injury.. yours truly has had 3 of 'em.

Didn't the quad injury ruin Moss' rookie season, and threaten to ruin Manningham's as well?

Didn't the quad injury ruin Moss' rookie season, and threaten to ruin Manningham's as well?

I'm speaking from my personal experience.. and I will tell you that I maybe a tougher cookie than the average person (I played a football game to the end only to find out I had a fractured ankle in the ER.. talk about adrenaline). My guess is with respect to the 2 players you mentioned, it was more precautionary than the injury itself.. meaning, you'd hate to ruin a player's career.. a player you picked in the 2nd round no less. The Giants had/have a lot of solid WR which allows them to play it safe when it comes to injured players.

I'm speaking from my personal experience.. and I will tell you that I maybe a tougher cookie than the average person (I played a football game to the end only to find out I had a fractured ankle in the ER.. talk about adrenaline). My guess is with respect to the 2 players you mentioned, it was more precautionary than the injury itself.. meaning, you'd hate to ruin a player's career.. a player you picked in the 2nd round no less. The Giants had/have a lot of solid WR which allows them to play it safe when it comes to injured players.

It depends on how serious the injury is. It's not a "sport" but look up Triple H and his history with quad injuries. They can be a killer.