SportsWrath

Domenik's big day

Allstarjim

If I remember correctly, the one glaring weakness for the Hawks is their pass D. I'm expecting him to do well also, but don't be surprised if he contributes nicely, but it's Smith or Toomer with the big day.

yeah, well so was the Vikings last year. They were ranked dead last in pass defense and look what they did to us.

yeah, well so was the Vikings last year. They were ranked dead last in pass defense and look what they did to us.

Good point. I hope we learned how to stop playing down to the competition. <_< For some reason, we havent had the best luck at stopping inferior opponents as of late, but hopeully that will change.

Good point. I hope we learned how to stop playing down to the competition. <_ for some reason we havent had the best luck at stopping inferior opponents as of late but hopeully that will change.>

That was one ugly game for us...

Good point. I hope we learned how to stop playing down to the competition. <_< For some reason, we havent had the best luck at stopping inferior opponents as of late, but hopeully that will change.

didn't the vikings have a better record than us at the time? i know they were +500

I dont recall that Vikings game at all...as a matter of fact, the last time I recall the giants playing the vikikngs Kerry Collins was carving them up with a 4 TD performance in a 41-0 ass wooping. so youre saying that theyve played since then? I call bullshit

I dont recall that Vikings game at all...as a matter of fact, the last time I recall the giants playing the vikikngs Kerry Collins was carving them up with a 4 TD performance in a 41-0 ass wooping. so youre saying that theyve played since then? I call bullshit

Yeah, what Minnesota game are these guys talking about? There hasnt been a game against Minny since the NFC Champ. game. :huh:

:cwy:

Sure you do... Remember, Eli threw 4 int, and 3 went for Viking TDs.

I thought Plax got that suspension appealed or something? that he would be allowed to play during the 'Hawks game?

No all that happened is that he pretty much got the fine cut in half but 2 weeks is still 2 weeks he is not even on the active roster.

If I remember correctly, the one glaring weakness for the Hawks is their pass D. I'm expecting him to do well also, but don't be surprised if he contributes nicely, but it's Smith or Toomer with the big day.

BIGBLUE, Smith's role is not changing in the offense for this game. Hixon's is, he is taking Plax's place in the offense, so he will get more looks. Plus, Hixon is the only Giant WR out of the top 3 (Hixon, Toomer, and Smith) that can realistically get behind this defense. I know everyone is going to say Amani - look what he did against the Bengals getting open down the sideline for a long gain, but that was just busted zone coverage, not Amani winning a footrace. Smith and Amani are good possession receivers, but Hixon is the guy that can stretch the field and be dangerous. Either way, I'm hoping for the 'W'.

We can't overlook the Seahawks this game. They found themselves last week and Julius Jones is running hard. Plus, Hasselbeck gets both Engram and Deion Branch back for this game, so the passing game should get a big lift. They are giving us a lot of respect. One of their players said that they are facing the toughest secondary (meaning us) that they have faced all year by far. They are going to come in playing hard and playing to win.

I think TC needs to get a couple of big plays in the ground game in this one and for us to get ahead early. And if we can not turn the ball over we should win. But they have good DB's (Trufant, Kelly Jennings) and a pretty good free safety in Deon Grant. I checked the stats and these guys are 25th against the pass and 9th against the run. They have other standouts on that defense with Lofa Tatupu, Julian Peterson, and Patrick Kerney in the front 7. Their leading tackler is the other OLB Leroy Hill, and a good DT in Rocky Bernard in the middle. They lost to an underrated 49ers team in overtime and have put up 30+ points in their last two games, this without their top 2 receivers, Engram and Branch.

I'm not saying these guys are world beaters, but they are a dangerous team. I fully expect that TC and Spags will have this team/defense ready to put a hurtin' on these guys, but their defense is not bad and Holmgren is a good coach in his own right. I'm really looking forward to this one, I think it's going to be a good fight with us sticking it to some fans we really don't like.

BIGBLUE, Smith's role is not changing in the offense for this game. Hixon's is, he is taking Plax's place in the offense, so he will get more looks. Plus, Hixon is the only Giant WR out of the top 3 (Hixon, Toomer, and Smith) that can realistically get behind this defense. I know everyone is going to say Amani - look what he did against the Bengals getting open down the sideline for a long gain, but that was just busted zone coverage, not Amani winning a footrace. Smith and Amani are good possession receivers, but Hixon is the guy that can stretch the field and be dangerous. Either way, I'm hoping for the 'W'.

We can't overlook the Seahawks this game. They found themselves last week and Julius Jones is running hard. Plus, Hasselbeck gets both Engram and Deion Branch back for this game, so the passing game should get a big lift. They are giving us a lot of respect. One of their players said that they are facing the toughest secondary (meaning us) that they have faced all year by far. They are going to come in playing hard and playing to win.

I think TC needs to get a couple of big plays in the ground game in this one and for us to get ahead early. And if we can not turn the ball over we should win. But they have good DB's (Trufant, Kelly Jennings) and a pretty good free safety in Deon Grant. I checked the stats and these guys are 25th against the pass and 9th against the run. They have other standouts on that defense with Lofa Tatupu, Julian Peterson, and Patrick Kerney in the front 7. Their leading tackler is the other OLB Leroy Hill, and a good DT in Rocky Bernard in the middle. They lost to an underrated 49ers team in overtime and have put up 30+ points in their last two games, this without their top 2 receivers, Engram and Branch.

I'm not saying these guys are world beaters, but they are a dangerous team. I fully expect that TC and Spags will have this team/defense ready to put a hurtin' on these guys, but their defense is not bad and Holmgren is a good coach in his own right. I'm really looking forward to this one, I think it's going to be a good fight with us sticking it to some fans we really don't like.

I really dont understand this statement. Hixon outside of showing that he can play in the preseason hasnt shown in my mind anyways that he is a better WR then Smith. I would like to see Smith get the start but being as this is his second year I dont see it happening. Toomer I do understand he is older and is more of the posession WR who can get down field when needed but I dont see how Hixon is now labeled as a "down field" threat. Smith has shown he is a great slot WR and would love to see him as a number two or even a number one receiver someday or even for a game to see what he can do.

Hixon will get the star along side Toomer but I see Smith having the better day, I just dont see Hixon when covered by the number one CB being a big threat during the game.

Sorry BIC. Smith will NEVER, NEVER be a #1 WR and he shouldn't be. That's not to knock him. He is just not as dangerous or as complete a receiver as some of you guys believe. Hixon has great speed, and he has shown a great work ethic, nice hands, and can outrun guys. What he did in the preseason was against first string defenses, btw. He had about as awesome a camp and preseason as any guy can have, pro bowl caliber WR's included, and I don't know what else you need to see. Hopefully you will be sold on Sunday. The guy can play and I don't know why anyone thinks he is not as talented or more than Smith. Smith is a fine possession WR, but that is what he is. He is Amani Toomer lite. Hixon has star potential. Not saying he will ever become that star, but his skill set says he could under the right circumstances and continued work and growth. That is why HIXON is starting for Plaxico and NOT SMITH! I knew right away when Plaxico got suspended that Hixon would get the nod. He has the tools to get deep and be a bigger playmaker. Believe me, I like Smith, but he is just not #1 material. The future #1 receiver of the Giants is either Hixon, Manningham, or some unknown guy.

Sorry BIC. Smith will NEVER, NEVER be a #1 WR and he shouldn't be. That's not to knock him. He is just not as dangerous or as complete a receiver as some of you guys believe. Hixon has great speed, and he has shown a great work ethic, nice hands, and can outrun guys. What he did in the preseason was against first string defenses, btw. He had about as awesome a camp and preseason as any guy can have, pro bowl caliber WR's included, and I don't know what else you need to see. Hopefully you will be sold on Sunday. The guy can play and I don't know why anyone thinks he is not as talented or more than Smith. Smith is a fine possession WR, but that is what he is. He is Amani Toomer lite. Hixon has star potential. Not saying he will ever become that star, but his skill set says he could under the right circumstances and continued work and growth. That is why HIXON is starting for Plaxico and NOT SMITH! I knew right away when Plaxico got suspended that Hixon would get the nod. He has the tools to get deep and be a bigger playmaker. Believe me, I like Smith, but he is just not #1 material. The future #1 receiver of the Giants is either Hixon, Manningham, or some unknown guy.

This is what I dont understand though, is if this guy is number one receiver material or even a star receiver....then why isnt he starting over Smith..or even Toomer? It's the same BS that people were saying with London or even that Mix kid we let go acouple years back.

You honestly think if Hixon was 1/10th the WR you claim he is that the coaching staff would even hesitate to start him? So far Smith has shown more to be on the field as the slot WR and will easily be our number two or even our number one when that time comes.

Hixon has been threw two teams, Denver and is with us now. So why is it you claim that he has all these attributes and yet the guy is only returning the occasional punt? or not even our slot WR?

He will get his chance this Sunday and I hope he is what you claim he is and by the way in the preseason teams dont usually plan for opponent WRs.

This is what I dont understand though, is if this guy is number one receiver material or even a star receiver....then why isnt he starting over Smith..or even Toomer? It's the same BS that people were saying with London or even that Mix kid we let go acouple years back.

You honestly think if Hixon was 1/10th the WR you claim he is that the coaching staff would even hesitate to start him? So far Smith has shown more to be on the field as the slot WR and will easily be our number two or even our number one when that time comes.

Hixon has been threw two teams, Denver and is with us now. So why is it you claim that he has all these attributes and yet the guy is only returning the occasional punt? or not even our slot WR?

He will get his chance this Sunday and I hope he is what you claim he is and by the way in the preseason teams dont usually plan for opponent WRs.

Hixon 6'2"

Smith 5'11"

Not sure who is faster

Hixon does have good hands.

Smith already has the slot receive position. why rearrange 2 wr's in the line up?

Hixon is Burress' back up

Smith is Toomer's back up

go look at the depth chart

did I mention that I sure miss London :(

smith does better as a slot receiver and that's where he's practiced all his routes. makes no sense to move him outside. that's neither a knock on him or a positive comment on hixon. fact is smith is the # 3 receiver and hixon is the #4 who's moved up from a sports hernia of the brain to our #1. if he's serviceable, i'll be happy.

everything will tighten up with the big dummy out this week.

Domenik Hixon making fresh start for Giants after emotional hit last season

BY ANDY MARTINO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, October 2nd 2008, 8:49 PM

Domenik Hixon and Kevin Everett both went down hard, but Everett did not get up. After their helmets collided during a game on Sept.9, 2007, Hixon, then with Denver, emerged unscathed, but Buffalo's Everett lay motionless on the field.

Doctors told Everett that he had fractured his spine, and might never walk again. Hixon was a different sort of victim: emotionally shattered, he lost his aggressiveness and was cut by the Broncos less than a month later.

The end of a sad story? Surprisingly, no. Everett made a remarkable recovery, returning to Buffalo's Ralph Wilson Stadium to walk in front of fans on Dec.23. Since then, he has started a foundation and become a motivational speaker. As for Hixon, the rookie was claimed by the Giants a day after being waived on Oct.2. He was part of the team's Super Bowl run, and is now prepared for his most significant opportunity yet: starting in place of the suspended receiver Plaxico Burress on Sunday against Seattle.

"The arrow is going up on that guy," Tom Coughlin said.

Hixon's life and career have undergone a remarkable turnaround since he accidentally injured Everett, but the emotional recovery remains a work-in-progress. "After the incident, I didn't run the same," he said. "I wasn't myself."

Always confident in his abilities, Hixon suddenly found himself hesitant on the field. His skittishness cost him his job after a Sept.23 fumble in a Denver loss to Jacksonville. When he was waived nine days later, Hixon feared that his career would be defined only by the Everett play.

The Giants acquired Hixon strictly as a kick returner, with modest expectations. But a personal and professional breakthrough came during last year's regular-season finale against New England, when he returned eight kickoffs for 221 yards, including a 74-yarder for his first career touchdown. The game was a turning point in Hixon's emotional recovery from the Everett incident. Beforehand, Hixon had been lifted by a brief but meaningful pep talk from Coughlin. "Just do what you do," the coach told the rookie.

"That game was one of the first times in a long time that I had fun playing football," Hixon said. "The guys who were blocking were like, 'Just follow us, we got you.'"

Having rediscovered his natural abilities and love for the game, Hixon recovered a key fumble in the Giants' win over Green Bay in the NFC Championship Game, and arrived at training camp this year determined to impress at receiver.

Injuries kept Burress inactive for most of training camp, allowing Hixon an opportunity to show his stuff. In an Aug.18 preseason game against Cleveland, he caught four passes for 63 yards and scored two touchdowns. The following week against the Jets, Hixon hauled in three passes for 51 yards.

Coughlin and the coaching staff took notice, and felt comfortable asking Hixon to fill in for Burress this week. "We thought Domenik had a very good spring, and he carried it over into the summer," Coughlin said.

Hixon said that he is preparing for his big day as he would for any game: practicing, studying the playbook, attending the meetings. "You have to have confidence that you can step up when you're asked," he said.

But despite the progress of his career, Hixon is still haunted by the play that changed his and Everett's lives. "To be honest with you, I'm still not over it," he said, before pausing and taking a deep breath. "I still think about it a lot."

Domenik Hixon, as our 4th WR through 3 games, already has 6 catches for 89 yards with a long of 32, a 14.8 yds/rec. Smith has 11 catches for 94 yards, a long of 15, at 8.5 yds/rec. Those are possession receiver numbers. But I'm not basing this on the numbers. And forget Mix and London. They didn't do anything against any 1st team defense I saw. Hixon did. I'm going off of what I've seen. He could have a nice game this weekend or not. He is going up against probably the best CB in the NFL in Marcus Trufant (assuming Trufant is on him rather than Toomer). Hixon is faster, has shown great footwork under Amani's tutelage. They usually don't let you return kicks unless you are one of the faster guys on the team.

As for your question why wouldn't the coaching staff not hesitate to start him? Because we have Plaxico who is a top 10 WR in the NFL and Toomer who is an established vet who's been through the wars and earned his starting spot a long, long, long time ago. I'm not saying Hixon is Jerry Rice. I'm not saying he will be a star WR as soon as he gets an opportunity. What I'm saying is that he has greater physical tools to be a #1 WR than Steve Smith, and I look forward to watching him this Sunday. You don't automatically bump Plaxico or Amani because you've shown flashes. But those flashes have earned him this big spot as the #1 receiver against the Seahawks on Sunday, and if he can't keep it up, he will earn a greater role in the offense. These things take time, but I'm impressed with what I've seen of him this year. I guarantee that the secondary coach for Seattle pulled tape of Hixon and they know what he can do.