SportsWrath

Very Concerned 2008 is 1998

nosebleedjints

1998...Giants coming off surprise year in 1997...then lost their best player...Sehorn...in the Jets game.

They were a young team on the uprise...only to finish 8-8...after a strong finish to an average, ugly year.

This year...we came off a SB in 2007....lost Osi to the Jets....I'm REALLY worried we are stuck with another 1998 and Osi will have his career ruined like Shehorn.

This team has depth, the 1998 team did not.

The fact that the Giants can plug in someone like Kiwanuka speaks volumes on how the team was

built. It was built by building up the defensive and offensive lines and adding people the FO deemed necessary.

The 1997 Giants were a team that benefitted from a weak schedule(this was well before the 4 div format and balanced schedule minus 2 games that we see now)and probably a point in time in the last 30 years where the NFC east was as bad as it ever was. This has no similarity other than we had a player injured vs the Jets.

No matter how you slice and dice this the fact is our team suffered a major setback today. Even if we move Kiwanuka back to DE, thats not making up for the absence of Osi. Osi has been our best DE the last couple years and his speed is just scary. Plus if we move Kiwi we suffer at LB. There is no turning this into a positive - The Giants lost 2 significant pass rushers and pass rush is what helped us to win the superbowl. With young corners and young safeties on our team this spells trouble if we can't get to the qb like we have in years past.

No matter how you slice and dice this the fact is our team suffered a major setback today. Even if we move Kiwanuka back to DE, thats not making up for the absence of Osi. Osi has been our best DE the last couple years and his speed is just scary. Plus if we move Kiwi we suffer at LB. There is no turning this into a positive - The Giants lost 2 significant pass rushers and pass rush is what helped us to win the superbowl. With young corners and young safeties on our team this spells trouble if we can't get to the qb like we have in years past.

I don't think anyone is going to deny the loss of Osi is a setback. Not anyone in their right mind anyway. The loss of one player may change an opponents schemes against us (i.e. Shockey), but we have backups for a reason. Things may not go as the coaches planned prior to the loss of Osi, but surely they're not going to lay down and die before the first snap of the regular season has yet to be played. Things will be different, difficult even, but hopefully the team plays it's best each week and their efforts pay off.

i loved the '97 team, but last year's team was a far superior team--particularly on the offensive side of the ball--and as golfinguy said way deeper. yeah we dont have hte luxury of rotating guys in and out and keeping everyone fresh (unless strahan comes back) but tuck and kiwanuka is still a good tandem and we're most likely going to have a stronger secondary this year if ross continues to progress and phillips ends up being what it looks like he is. maybe we dont win a super bowl cuz we lose osi--but i think we're still a playoff-contending team

i loved the '97 team, but last year's team was a far superior team--particularly on the offensive side of the ball--and as golfinguy said way deeper. yeah we dont have hte luxury of rotating guys in and out and keeping everyone fresh (unless strahan comes back) but tuck and kiwanuka is still a good tandem and we're most likely going to have a stronger secondary this year if ross continues to progress and phillips ends up being what it looks like he is. maybe we dont win a super bowl cuz we lose osi--but i think we're still a playoff-contending team

Aside from being deeper, do not discount what better coaching we have now as opposed to then, with the exception of John Fox who could coach my Lbers and Mike Pope who can(and had always no matter who the HC was)coah my Te's there is not a coach on that staff I would want over this bunch.

This team has depth, the 1998 team did not.

The fact that the Giants can plug in someone like Kiwanuka speaks volumes on how the team was

built. It was built by building up the defensive and offensive lines and adding people the FO deemed necessary.

yeah That EA imgrate Kinda was a genius :P