SportsWrath

Manningham

Lughead

from Mike G:

NY Giants: Burress' ankle injury a new one; Manningham hurt

by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger Monday July 28, 2008, 11:02 AM

ALBANY, N.Y. - Giants coach Tom Coughlin, in his first meeting with a group of reporters since Plaxico Burress was examined by a team doctor, said the veteran wide receiver is suffering from a different right ankle ailment than the torn deltoid ligament than hampered him last year.

"This is different. It's not the same problem," Coughlin said after this morning's practice. "I just think it's a little bit of structure and something he's going to have to deal with. ... It's not the same. Same ankle, but not the same injury."

Still, Coughlin didn't seem too nervous about the diagnosis (he never did say specifically what the problem is) and is confident Burress will be back on the field within the next few days.

"He had some soreness. Hopefully, by mid-week he'll do something," Coughlin said. "It's a situation where he has orthotics and he really has to wear them. That's going to help and hopefully the soreness will be gone so he can work this week."

Burress got some company on the sideline this morning when rookie WR Mario Manningham was yanked from practice with a quad injury. Perhaps it's a lingering effect of a quad injury that cut his rookie minicamp short.

"He's got some quad soreness," Coughlin said. "About halfway through the individual (drills), Ronnie (Barnes) said he really thought he had to shut himself down. I don't know the extent of it. We'll have to wait and see."

More on that later perhaps. And the morning practice report in a few.

MG

Thats what worries me about Mario. He seems fragile.

No that doesn't mean he's fragile. Quad and Hamstring injuries are a bitch.. I've had both. What these young guys don't know is how to stretch properly. It's amazing what one Yoga class a week can do to eliminate most of those injuries.

Sucks about Manningham, guess we'll have to wait a bit longer before we can start the touchdown cheer of Manning to Manningham. I'm hoping that the injury doesn't sideline him as much as it did Moss.

I don't buy into the rave reviews of players by scouts, I judge them by what I see on the field but do hope he is everything the scouts say he is.