SportsWrath

Interesting

so-cal dub

I just read on another message board that if Johnathon Vilma plays 85% of the season, the Jets would end up with the Saints 2nd and in turn we would end up with the Saints 1st but would lose the 5th. I dont know how true this is, but that would be awesome.

I just read on another message board that if Johnathon Vilma plays 85% of the season, the Jets would end up with the Saints 2nd and in turn we would end up with the Saints 1st but would lose the 5th. I dont know how true this is, but that would be awesome.

I doubt if the Saints will do something like that.

He will also need to sign a contract extension and also play 85% of the season.

I guess it is true.. :drool:

---link---

Shockey could bring a first-rounder in 2010

Did the Saints use one of the Jets’ picks in the 2009 draft to acquire Jeremy Shockey yesterday?

When the Saints traded for Jonathan Vilma earlier this year, they gave the Jets a fourth rounder in the 2008 draft with a conditional pick in the 2009 draft that could go as high as the second round. That second round pick in 2009 was then included with a fifth-rounder in the more recent deal for Shockey. So what gives?

According to a league source, the Jets would get the second round pick if Vilma plays 85 percent of the defensive snaps and the Saints sign him to a new deal before the end of this season. If those criteria are not met, the Jets will receive a third-rounder and the Giants get the second- and fifth-rounders. If the Jets get the second rounder, though, the Shockey value will change from a second- and a fifth-rounder in 2009 to a first-rounder in 2010.

"That’s not going to happen because the Saints hold all the cards, and they’re not going to just give away that first rounder when they really don't have to," the source said.

It’s been speculated that Vilma, a fellow University of Miami product, was one of the players who was in Shockey's ear, trying to lure him to the Saints during this summer. If that’s the case (and we're not saying it is since that would probably be some type of tampering), Vilma may have recruited his way out of a new contract in New Orleans -- at least until after free agency opens up.

Many have called the Shockey trade a win-win deal. The only loser appears to be the Jets, who will undoubtedly see their potential second-round pricetag for Vilma shrink to a third.

All the saints have to do is sit him 3 games and avoid the whole thing... and that's assuming he plays in every snap otherwise.

Besides, I like the 2nd and 5th in 2009 anyway.

On a side note: it seems the Saints feel they're pretty damn close to winning it all.. and I agree.

All the saints have to do is sit him 3 games and avoid the whole thing.

That would be downright stupid. With the addition of Vilma, a stud 4-3 LB, and Shockey, a TE Payton knows how to use, the Saints have a strong team that I fully expect to win the NFC South at the least. They would be stupid to sit their best defensive player just to save draft picks when that franchise needs success to have staying power in NO.

That would be downright stupid. With the addition of Vilma, a stud 4-3 LB, and Shockey, a TE Payton knows how to use, the Saints have a strong team that I fully expect to win the NFC South at the least. They would be stupid to sit their best defensive player just to save draft picks when that franchise needs success to have staying power in NO.

But they put themselves in that situation.

Actually they won't even have to try... assume the guy misses 2 games due to injuries... Then he can sit out in plays during bullshit times.. or just in different packages...

I have a feeling the saints are going to sit Vilma out for a few games.

They won't go that far. After all, they're trying to win games. But it's not difficult for a guy to miss 15% of the defensive snaps over the course of a game. If there's 70 defensive snaps, Vilma would only have to sit out 11 plays in order to be under the 85% mark.

More important, you guys are missing the bigger part of the agreement: the Saints would have to sign Vilma to an extension before the end of the season. Since the Saints control the timing of an extension, they can very easily avoid losing their 1st round pick. They can elect not to re-sign Vilma, or they can wait until after the season to re-sign him. In either case, they circumvent the wording of the agreement and retain their 1st round pick.