SportsWrath

JR You Stupid Ingrate! Pick up the phone now!

BlueInCanada

Packers quietly looking for takers on Favre

An idea once even more unthinkable than a Brett Favre comeback is now under consideration.

The Green Bay Packers have begun contacting other NFL teams to see what they would be willing to offer for Favre.

Jonathan Daniel / Getty Images

Brett Favre's status for 2008 remains unclear.

Related:

» Favre retirement timeline

» Prez has 'full confidence' in GM, coach

» Vikings decline comment

» Packers file tampering charges

» Favre tempted to report to camp

» Favre breaks silence

» Packers won't release Favre

It is unknown exactly how many teams the Packers have spoken with, but what is known is that they have not relegated their exploratory calls strictly to AFC teams. Green Bay has called at least one team in the NFC as well. The Packers declined comment.

One NFL executive speculated that the Packers simply are doing their dillegence and fielding any of the potential offers before deciding whether it would be worth trading Favre, who does want to play in 2008.

This hardly means the Packers will wind up dealing Favre. But at least they are debating the merits of it, reaching out to teams to inquire what Favre would bring in return.

By contacting other teams and fielding any potential offers, the Packers then can make a more informed decision about whether or not it is worth trading Favre.

Though it could happen, it still is hard to envision -– the Packers trading Favre.

Yet if Favre opted to play, and if the Packers were willing to trade him -– and those are two big ifs -- the NFC team that would make the most sense is the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden is fascinated with quarterbacks and never has enough of them. During his time in Tampa, he also never has had the chance to work with a quarterback like Favre.

In fact, Favre would have to be willing to report to any team that strikes a deal with Green Bay; thus, Favre’s willingness to play for another team must be factored into any potential trade, and the quarterback’s overwhelming preference is to continue playing in Green Bay, not anywhere else.

Still, the Packers have not welcomed back Favre and have told him that he would be a backup to Aaron Rodgers.

Before that would happen, Favre first must decide whether he is willing to play this season, even though he clearly wants to. If he does, he would have to send the NFL and the Packers a letter asking to be reinstated. Favre has not made any decisions about if or when to send such a letter.

But there now is another intriguing storyline to go along with any letter. With Jason Taylor in Washington, Jeremy Shockey in New York and big trades sweeping the NFL, the Packers are exploring the possibility of making the biggest of them all.

JR trade all we have to get the all and powerful Favre on the Giants, maybe he can play TE to replace Shockey.

...oh yeah and the Link

Trade away the Franchise!!!

A question......

Who would win in a game? The entire Dallas Cowboys team completly healthy, or JUST Brett Favre with one arm?

DA BRETT!!!

John Madden impression: "If if if if if if if if you could get an an an an entire team of Brett Favres to play an an another team of Brett Favres then then then I think I think I think I think BOOM! the world would explode."

John Madden impression: "If if if if if if if if you could get an an an an entire team of Brett Favres to play an an another team of Brett Favres then then then I think I think I think I think BOOM! the world would explode."

LMAO!!!!!! :LMAO:

Dude, say that in a true Madden voice, and its funnier than shit!

It's funny how I read that in a Frank Caliendo/John Madden voice.....and I was laughing out load for real!!! :LMAO:

It was funny, but I didn't think Madden stuttered that much. Funny as hell, though.

Seriously, you had to see this coming. Packers front office are not stupid. Their hand is really forced on this one. They cannot put Aaron Rodgers on the bench after he's waited this long for his opportunity and they've named him the starter already, and they can't release Brett Favre under contract and get nothing for him, with him potentially going to a divisional opponent (Vikings, Bears). If they simply just keep him into the season as the 2nd string, think of what a circus that will be with the fans. All it would take is for the Packers to lose 2 in a row, or Rodgers to have a bad game early. The ensuing fall out could destroy Rodgers' confidence, and the Packers can't afford for that to happen to their young QB of the future. So the only thing left is to trade him.

It will be weird to see Brett in another uniform, even more so for Pack fans, but it really has to happen. The only way this does not happen is if Rodgers has a catastrophic injury during training camp before a trade can get worked out. If there is no market for Favre (he is salary prohibitive at $13mil/year, especially at this point of the offseason teams will have to do some serious shuffling to get under the cap for him), then the only thing left is for the Pack to hold their ground, and Favre will wait this situation out, to see if either A) Rodgers gets hurt, or B) He plays so badly that with fan and media pressure the organization feels compelled to put him back as the starter. Until then or a trade, Favre needs to take the high road, now. He needs to act as though he's willing to continue to be a mentor to Rodgers and hold the clipboard and wait. Something that will be excrutiatingly difficult for Brett to do.

On a personal note, I hope he gets traded to Tampa. I've talked about this before. He would look great in a Buc uni, (Favre would look great in any uni, but I digress :wub:) and since I live in the Tampa area, I would definitely go to a Bucs game to see one of the top QBs of all time play in person. It would also automatically make the Bucs a more fearsome opponent, but it would not put them over the top.

:LMAO: That was a good one. :TU: