SportsWrath

NFL.com article on QB Andre Woodson

jranieli

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story;jsessionid=...mp;confirm=true

NEW YORK -- Tom Brady was drafted eight years ago at pick No. 199.

Andre Woodson went to the Giants on Sunday afternoon at pick No. 198.

Similarities exist in these sixth-round picks. Both are quarterbacks with big arms. Both possess superior football intelligence. Both found their college production relatively ignored.

And the major common element: Too many teams passed on these two snappy passers.

2008 NFL Draft

I am not saying that Woodson is Brady.

I am saying that Woodson was certainly not deserving of being the 12th quarterback taken in this draft. He deserved much more.

And I believe he will become the best quarterback in this draft.

Oh, he might sit awhile behind Eli Manning, who is just getting started, with a Super Bowl championship in only his fourth pro season.

But the Giants have a splendid backup they can groom for their own enjoyment or a commodity they could use for prime trade value. They have a quarterback who when he gains opportunities in preseason games or as a sub in real games will turn heads.

I see a star quarterback here.

"You can use late picks to develop quarterbacks, and with Eli here, we have an unusual chance to do that," Giants general manager Jerry Reese said. "His value was too good to pass up in the sixth round. He played at the highest level against major competition in the Southeastern Conference. We love his production."

How about 40 TD passes and 11 interceptions last season? How about 71 TDs and 18 interceptions over the last two seasons? How about a stretch of 153 passes during his career without an interception? And then another such streak -- the NCAA record -- of 325 after that? How about leading Kentucky to consecutive bowl-game victories for the first time in 56 years?

How about doing all of that that in a conference that produced the most players (35) in this draft?

That is Woodson.

Scouts thought he threw with an ugly, worrisome hitch in their pre-draft studies. But Kentucky defensive coordinator Steve Brown practiced his unit against Woodson, against that "hitch" for four years.

"This is a very, very sharp, smart quarterback," Brown said. "He has excellent touch. He reads coverages extremely well. He can get you into the right play. He is one of the better quarterbacks I’ve seen in the college game in the last couple of years. He compares in style to Jason Campbell of the Redskins. But Andre is going to make his own mark in that league."

Woodson was reached via telephone at his home in Lexington on Sunday night.

"I was at my mom’s house watching the draft and about midway through the fifth round I got in my car and drove the hour and a half or so back to school," Woodson said. "I was feeling pretty low. I came in and turned on the draft again and within about five minutes, they called my name. And just like that, I’m a Giant.

"Obviously, it was a long draft. It was draining. I thought I would go midway in the second round or no later than the fourth round. I don’t know what teams saw in my game that they did not take me. But I’ve got a great opportunity with the Super Bowl champions to work with a great coaching staff and with great quarterbacks, including Eli. Sure, I think a lot of teams blew it. They missed on a good quarterback. I definitely plan on proving that."

Just like Brady, Woodson hopes.

With a journey that despite the fall, at least, begins one pick, one step shorter than Brady’s.

It'll be nice to have a serious back-up for a change.

Pillsbury Throwboy is now cut. Unless Carr is a complete cluster fuck there isn't much chance J-Load is going to make it. Manning, Carr and Woodson will be the QBs.

I think the Giants grabbed him because he was by far, the best player available....easily a 2nd rounder any other year and some analyst thought a late first rounder this year. More than a few football insiders have stated that in a couple of years, we'll find out that Woodson was the best QB in the draft this year.

He was sitting there on the board, miles ahead of all other players left when it comes to pure "value" and the Giants couldn't resist.

Apparantly, Woodson wasn't that happy about going to the Giants at first because he knows there's Eli and Carr already in place. But once he thought it over, he believed it was a perfect opportunity for him.

Here's a quote from his post-draft interview:

"I was at my mom's house watching the draft and about midway through the fifth round I got in my car and drove the hour and a half or so back to school," Woodson said. "I was feeling really low. I came in and turned on the draft again and within about five minutes, they called my name. And just like that, I'm a Giant.

"Obviously, it was a long draft. It was draining. I thought I would go midway in the second round or at least no later than the fourth round. I don't know what teams saw in my game that they did not take me. But I've got a great opportunity with the Super Bowl champions to work with a great coaching staff and with great quarterbacks, including Eli.
Sure, I think a lot of teams blew it. They missed on a good quarterback.
I definitely plan on proving that
."

Pillsbury Throwboy is now cut. Unless Carr is a complete cluster fuck there isn't much chance J-Load is going to make it. Manning, Carr and Woodson will be the QBs.

Nice. I'd love to see that depth. Im always grittin my teeth thinking Eli will go down. Imagine how embarrassing we would look with JLoad or Wright back there. Actually, Im not as down on Wright as some are, but these three I'd take in a heartbeat.

Why would the Giants trade him to a division rival?

The only way they'd do that is if they came to the conclusion he wasn't going to cut it in the NFL.

My bet is....some desparate team will throw away their next years first round draft pick to get him at some point down the road. He's young and has tremendous trade value.