SportsWrath

New Lito Shepard news

Lubeck

Eagles shopping CB Sheppard

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Need a Pro Bowl cornerback? Call the Philadelphia Eagles.

Lito Sheppard became available to the highest bidder once the Eagles signed Asante Samuel to a $57.14 million, six-year contract on the first day of the NFL free agency in March.

Sheppard isn't happy with his contract -- he's signed through 2011 -- and the Eagles don't have much patience with players who want new deals. Terrell Owens didn't quite get his way when he started grumbling in 2005. Sheppard hasn't expressed his unhappiness publicly or as loudly as T.O. did, but it's likely he'll be gone before next weekend's draft ends.

For now, the Eagles are waiting for the best offer.

"You don't see many 27-year-old Pro Bowl players who there is even a possibility of acquiring," team president Joe Banner said Tuesday. "If you look at the history of player trades, you'll see a very short list of players that age, that caliber of player, that kind of character.

"There is significant interest, but the reason there is interest is because he's a good player, which is a compelling reason, also, to keep him. We'll just have to weigh the options of keeping him or whatever else is available, and in the end Andy (Reid) will make a decision as to which he thinks is better."

A first-round pick in 2002, Sheppard and Sheldon Brown replaced veteran cornerbacks Troy Vincent and Bobby Taylor following the 2003 season. Sheppard was an All-Pro in '04, helping the Eagles reach the Super Bowl.

Sheppard has a knack for making big plays, but he's also had trouble staying on the field. He missed six games in 2005 with a badly sprained ankle that required surgery, sat out three games in 2006 with another ankle injury, and didn't play in a playoff loss to New Orleans that season after hurting his elbow. Sheppard was sidelined four games last year after injuring his knee in the opener, and also sat out the season finale.

"There is interest in him and we'll just have to make a determination as to whether the best thing for the team is to move him or bring him back," Banner said. "Obviously, to this point, we've decided the best thing to do is keep him."

Sheppard has 17 career interceptions, including three returned for touchdowns. The Eagles' asking price for Sheppard could be a player -- possibly a top wide receiver -- or draft picks. The Falcons got second-round and fifth-round picks for DeAngelo Hall, a two-time Pro Bowl cornerback who is two years younger than Sheppard.

Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Then why are you trading him dumbass? Oh thats right injury issues.

Oh and screw you AP.

Since the only way to acquire his services it in a trade, there is no way the Giants would be included. Even though he's a valuable player, I don't see any team giving up an equivilent player or a stash of high draft picks to take on his high salary.

It'll be interesting to see who goes after him though and I'll be glad if he leaves our division.

The morning news on ProFootballTalk say that the whole rumor that Lito is on the market was made up and is a bluff from the Eagles - for whatever reason they'd do that. :confused:

Theyre scraping now. A once legit contender for the ring every year is now a team barely able to survive in the NFC East and is getting older and older.

Theyre scraping now. A once legit contender for the ring every year is now a team barely able to survive in the NFC East and is getting older and older.

Their last place finish was by a whopping 1 game out of being in the playoffs. DO not write this team off so fast. Although I think they dropped the ball replacing LITO with Samuel before dealing him, they certainly are a formidable opponent. As long as Westbrook and McNabb are there on offense they are a team to fear.

Their last place finish was by a whopping 1 game out of being in the playoffs. DO not write this team off so fast. Although I think they dropped the ball replacing LITO with Samuel before dealing him, they certainly are a formidable opponent. As long as Westbrook and McNabb are there on offense they are a team to fear.

Westbrook, yes. I dont feel so threatened by McNabb anymore. And that secondary of thiers is bad, even with the addition of Samuel. Plus, they still have no receivers. I agree though, that the NFC is tough, so they should always be a force to reckon with. I just think they on thier last legs at the moment.

When our team is at it's very best....I still fear any team in the NFC East. If we split 3-3 during the regular season, that is an accomplishment IMO

Westbrook, yes. I dont feel so threatened by McNabb anymore. And that secondary of thiers is bad, even with the addition of Samuel. Plus, they still have no receivers. I agree though, that the NFC is tough, so they should always be a force to reckon with. I just think they on thier last legs at the moment.

They are still a respectable opponent. In years past, they could count on the Cowboys, Giants, and Washington all tripping over themselves, and those days are long gone. The NFC East is clearly the best division in football.

Maybe its me, but even at 34 I still think Brian Dawkins is better than anything we have at S

Maybe its me, but even at 34 I still think Brian Dawkins is better than anything we have at S

Dawkins at safety, yes. Overall secondary, no IMO. But regardless, they do always play each other tough. I expect there to be a QB controversy pretty soon also. From what Ive heard, McNabb aint too happy there and the feelings mutual.

Since the only way to acquire his services it in a trade, there is no way the Giants would be included. Even though he's a valuable player, I don't see any team giving up an equivilent player or a stash of high draft picks to take on his high salary.

It'll be interesting to see who goes after him though and I'll be glad if he leaves our division.

I'm think he goes to Atlanta for Roddy White, eight draft picks and Patrick Kerney