SportsWrath

Now that the Giants have lost Willi-Jo and Manny Wright

BleedinBlue

Manny Wright was cut by the Giants yesterday because he failed his physical and has some off-field problems.

Regardless....we've lost 2 DT's in the past month and haven't replaced them. Cofield and Robbins are solid, but Robbins is no spring chicken and has to be nearing the end of his career. Alford looked good in the superbowl, but he also has the luxury of opponents doubling up Strahan, Osi, or Cofield.

That leaves us with a big hole if either Cofield or Robbins goes down.

Manny was a huge guy with huge potential, but couldn't get his act together. He was so wide that he became an instant wall to stuff a run. I think a wide-body run stuffer to replace him would be ideal. So after looking at the options in the draft, I like what I see in RED BRYANT (Texas A&M). He is a run-stuffer supreme and should be available to the Giants by the end of the second round.

It would be nice to have a dedicated run-stuffer to throw in the defensive mix when a team starts running well against us.....especially up the middle. Someone to bring in during goal line stands.

Manny Wright was cut by the Giants yesterday because he failed his physical and has some off-field problems.

Regardless....we've lost 2 DT's in the past month and haven't replaced them. Cofield and Robbins are solid, but Robbins is no spring chicken and has to be nearing the end of his career. Alford looked good in the superbowl, but he also has the luxury of opponents doubling up Strahan, Osi, or Cofield.

Manny was a huge guy with huge potential, but couldn't get his act together. He was so wide that he became an instant wall to stuff a run. I think a wide-body run stuffer to replace him would be ideal. So after looking at the options in the draft, I like what I see in RED BRYANT (Texas A&M). He is a run-stuffer supreme and should be available to the Giants by the end of the second round.

It would be nice to have a dedicated run-stuffer to throw in the defensive mix when a team starts running well against us.....especially up the middle. Someone to bring in during goal line stands.

I think they'll address that in the 3rd /4th round. It would be nice if Strahan would tell the team if he's coming back or not before the draft. Becuase if he is then we know Tuck is going to play DT most of the time.

I think they'll address that in the 3rd /4th round. It would be nice if Strahan would tell the team if he's coming back or not before the draft. Becuase if he is then we know Tuck is going to play DT most of the time.

Yeah....I agree. However, Tuck is a pass rushing DT/DE whereas this Red Bryant guy is a pure run-stuffing wide body that takes up 2 or 3 spaces.

I like the idea of having the option of a DT available to come in that simply shuts down the running game....especially in the red zone. Without a doubt, we have the players and the schemes to put non-stop pressure on the QB....and once Kiwi is back in business, it will be even more awesome. But there are times when the team needs to shut down a running game and this guy would be a great option off the bench. And there aren't that many DT's in this draft that are pure run stuffers.

Did you read the link on Red Bryant? Hist stats for shutting down the run are phenomenal. We could probably get him in the 2nd round, but he's likely to be gone by the 3rd. Here's the link to him again if you missed it.

Red(zone) Bryant

Well, if you need a huge black dude to stuff all holes with his massive girth and plaster the Tight End... look no farther than Sportswrath's own TBCvP. :TU:

But all joking aside, is it just me, or does it seem like DT is a need for our team EVERY year?

Joseph was on IR, Wright wasn't even active in the playoffs. We need replacements, but I wouldn't panic. Draft one when it's the best option.

Indeed....there is no glaring hole that the Giants "must" fill this coming draft. But TC's commitment to "winning the battle in the trenches" that has been his trademark means he should get at least one OL and DL in this draft. With Willie and Mannie gone....that means they have to rotate Tuck and Alford with no other backups. And since Tuck also spells Strahan on the end, that doesn't leave much room for error....especially if Cofield or Robbins goes down.

Alford is more of a "pass rushing" interior lineman, who adds to the blitz schemes along with Tuck. But our line is not "above average" for stopping the run. To get a run stuffer in there - especially in the red zone - would be a nice option that we haven't had.

Regardless....I'm sure that Reese, TC and Spags have a plan in mind. I'm just getting antsy for the draft. It's two weeks from tomorrow and it seems like forever away! :cwy:

Seems like a great fit for our defense.....thanks for the post.