SportsWrath

Sammy Knight

Nesta

Giants eye Sammy Knight to replace Gibril Wilson at safety

by ralph vacchiano

daily news sports writer

Sunday, March 2nd 2008, 4:00 AM

Sammy Knight has left Denver without a contract, and his next stop could be New York.

The 32-year-old ex-Jaguars safety, who is the Giants' top choice to replace the departed Gibril Wilson, was in Denver last night and today, but was unable to come to terms on a contract with the Broncos. One NFL source said a trip to New York is definitely on his itinerary, and will likely take place early next week.

Whenever he does get around to visiting the Giants, he can almost certainly expect an offer, though it doesn't figure to be any more than $2 million per season. That, obviously, is nowhere near the $6.5 million per year that Wilson got from the Raiders yesterday. It's not clear if it'll be enough for Knight, either.

By the way, you might find this interesting: Last year, Knight and Wilson had nearly identical stats. Each had four interceptions and no sacks. Knight had 11 passes defensed and Wilson had seven. They're pretty even over the last four years, too. Knight has 11 INTs, 25 PDs and four sacks. Wilson has 11 INTs, 19 PDs and six sacks.

Of course Wilson is six years younger and figures to be about $4.5 million per year more expensive.

Free agency. Go figure.

Just in case they're unable to land Knight, the Giants are still in contact with the agent for Patriots safety Eugene Wilson.

Why pick up another washed up Dback that used to play for the Dolphins...? Go for Eugene Wilson, it's a no brainer.

I don't remember him playing with the Dolphins last year...what's the problem?

I don't think we have to worry about a Brock Marion case with Knight.

I don't remember him playing with the Dolphins last year...what's the problem?

I don't think we have to worry about a Brock Marion case with Knight.

But again, why pick up another aging Ex-Dolphin defensive back? So yah, he didn't play with the Dolphins LAST year...he played with them YEARS ago. Along with Sam Madison and Brock Marion.

Knight isn't washed up. He played last year for the Jaguars and like the article said, his stats nearly mirrored Gibril's. Before he played for the Jags, he was with KC for two years and put up solid numbers. If he comes to the Giants, it'll be one of those "rent a vet" type deals similar to Madison or last year's Mitchell. Most importantly, he's a vet who can mentor Johnson until Johnson can prove he's the man to carry the gauntlet. We don't want to find out 3 games into the season that Johnson isn't ready to handle every down duties.

Eugene Wilson has his own baggage. I'd rather have the old guy to help the kids, than a young reclamation project. We're very young in the backfield, so a guy with experience would be a better choice, in my opinion.

I'm just saying, why sign him...? Is he actually going to be our starter? Half the starting Dbackfield of the like friggin 2000 Dolphins is going to be the starting Dbackfield of the defending World Champs...?

I thought we we're looking for continuity in our secondary, not old, washed up vets who aren't going to be able to run with the young guns anymore...

And btw, I obviously think it was a mistake letting go of Gibril. We had/have the cap room. He's been the one single solid player in our secondary for a couple years.

Eugene Wilson has his own baggage. I'd rather have the old guy to help the kids, than a young reclamation project. We're very young in the backfield, so a guy with experience would be a better choice, in my opinion.

I think we should have the "old" guy there since we have Webster, Ross, and Michael Johnson playing around him... Butler too. Besides he has a few years left.

I think we should have the "old" guy there since we have Webster, Ross, and Michael Johnson playing around him... Butler too. Besides he has a few years left.

Safety is a totally different position than Ross and Webster's CB....

I'm just saying, why sign him...? Is he actually going to be our starter? Half the starting Dbackfield of the like friggin 2000 Dolphins is going to be the starting Dbackfield of the defending World Champs...?

I thought we we're looking for continuity in our secondary, not old, washed up vets who aren't going to be able to run with the young guns anymore...

And btw, I obviously think it was a mistake letting go of Gibril. We had/have the cap room. He's been the one single solid player in our secondary for a couple years.

If you're getting similar production for 3-4 million dollars less, why not? Those may be the dollars that make Snee happy. Or Osi. Or Plax...

He might be the piece that helps take Butler, Johnson, and whatever new guys we draft to the next level. You're not going to get that with a guy like Eugene Wilson, who seems to have had confidence problems in the past.

Of course, I'm of the opinion that Sam Madison is the guy who helped our young CBs play at the level they are. Well, that and the removal of Lewis.

Anyone who thinks or has ever thought that Gbril Wilson is worth the 16 million he was guaranteed by an organization run by a loony old man is out of their mind.

Bottom line, difference makers get 16 mil guaranteed in the NFL, Gbril Wilson is NOT a difference maker, nce player and all but thats where it ends. We could get similar production from a Eugene Wilson or Sammy Knight and develop a young athletic guy in Michael Johnson and possibly draft another.

Why pick up another washed up Dback that used to play for the Dolphins...? Go for Eugene Wilson, it's a no brainer.

Compare Knight's stats to Gibril's. Almost Identical, that's why. If we can get Knight, I'd feel pretty good about it.

I dont know if Knight is capable of playing both FS and SS, but Knight at 67 yrs old in a wheelchair is better than Butler now. <_< I agree with those saying bring him in to get Johnson ready. Not a bad idea if the price is right.

If you're getting similar production for 3-4 million dollars less, why not? Those may be the dollars that make Snee happy. Or Osi. Or Plax...

He might be the piece that helps take Butler, Johnson, and whatever new guys we draft to the next level. You're not going to get that with a guy like Eugene Wilson, who seems to have had confidence problems in the past.

Of course, I'm of the opinion that Sam Madison is the guy who helped our young CBs play at the level they are. Well, that and the removal of Lewis.

Yah, you're going to get a 26 year old Safety who's on the come up, instead of the decline. Someone who can still move. Someone we can sign to a long term deal, not waste all the money at once for a year or two, and not have a revolving door at the safety position. Some continuity.

And basically, I don't believe all that much in the whole "Veterans in the secondary are going to help the younger players succeed"...that's bullshit at that position. You're on an island by yourself most the time as a defensive back. It's different as a dlineman or anywhere else because it's not so much about you against another guy. I don't believe Sam Madison had shit to do with Aaron Ross and Corey Webster doing well...or else they would have been succeeding at the beginning of the season. It's more gaining experience and confidence.

Compare Knight's stats to Gibril's. Almost Identical, that's why. If we can get Knight, I'd feel pretty good about it.

Yah, and in a year, when you realize how slow and washed up he is, you gonna want us to sign another washed up veteran player?

You guys can take your washed up veterans. I want this team to keep getting younger and faster. Not older and "more experienced"

The funny thing about fast athletic youngsters....is that they can go after a fake or a wrong read twice as fast as a vet and miss their tackle by half a football field.

At the safety position - it's as much (or more) mental quickness as it is physical quickness. Mental quickness can only be acquired by experience so that the player can quickly read what is unfolding. It doesn't do you a bit a good to be the fastest guy on the team if you are clueless what is unfolding before your very eyes and you have exactly half a second to figure it out or completely miss out on the play.

When you reach the age of 32, tell me if you think you are washed up and unable to do the things you could do when you were in your 20's. If you're 13 yrs old, then 32 seems like it's time for the grave. But just wait til you reach that age and you'll discover you have lots and lots of youth in you.

Also....if you think the older guys have NO influence on younger guys than you obviously haven't played football at the upper level. Osi followed Strahan around like a puppy dog and still picks his brain. Tuck tried to learn everything he could from Osi and Strahan. And if you think Madison wasn't giving pointers to Ross and Webster....and that Ross and Webster haven't picked Madison's brain....then you are dillusionary. There are so many nuances to the NFL game, that players soak in any advice they can get because they realize they can't simply play their position well because they can run fast and jump high....they must be able to recognize in an instant what is happening and adjust accordingly.

Yah, you're going to get a 26 year old Safety who's on the come up, instead of the decline. Someone who can still move. Someone we can sign to a long term deal, not waste all the money at once for a year or two, and not have a revolving door at the safety position. Some continuity.

Is that why Belichick had Wilson's ass nailed to the bench and played a rookie in the SB? It's just as possible that the young guy reached his ceiling...then you're paying for what? Continuous mediocrity?

And basically, I don't believe all that much in the whole "Veterans in the secondary are going to help the younger players succeed"...that's bullshit at that position. You're on an island by yourself most the time as a defensive back. It's different as a dlineman or anywhere else because it's not so much about you against another guy. I don't believe Sam Madison had shit to do with Aaron Ross and Corey Webster doing well...or else they would have been succeeding at the beginning of the season. It's more gaining experience and confidence.

Obviously not on the field, but you can't tell me that on the sideline Sam wasn't pointing things out to the kids about what was going on. And you don't think having an older guy to ask questions doesn't help confidence?

Yah, and in a year, when you realize how slow and washed up he is, you gonna want us to sign another washed up veteran player?

No, in a year I want Knight on the bench, because our young players will be in better position to start. And you might want to check his stats--they do compare with Gibril's.

You guys can take your washed up veterans. I want this team to keep getting younger and faster. Not older and "more experienced"

You need a mix. I thought the experience with Williams, Peterson, and Allen all coming on to the team at the same time would have taught that lesson.

Haha, what's delusionary is thinking that Michael Johnson will EVER be a starter on our team. If that's the young guy you plan on replacing Knight(if we sign him) with, then you're the one with delusions. Now, say we draft a Safety, like first round, then yah, sure. But if we're looking for a full replacement, Eugene Wilson is where to go.

Oh, and you're right, I've never played football at the upper level, but neither have you. A vet safety isn't going to be able to tell the younger players where to be and how to play, like you said, that's something they learn on their own. And I mentioned that the dline is different.

Haha, what's delusionary is thinking that Michael Johnson will EVER be a starter on our team. If that's the young guy you plan on replacing Knight(if we sign him) with, then you're the one with delusions. Now, say we draft a Safety, like first round, then yah, sure. But if we're looking for a full replacement, Eugene Wilson is where to go.

Wait the same Eugene Wilson that was benched in the Superbowl for a rookie?