SportsWrath

Milledge is such a child

mws44

Link

David Is “Wright” On Milledge

By Alex G. on February 29th, 2008 2:05 PM

Lastings Milledge never felt as though he fit in, in the Mets clubhouse and was made to be the outcast of the team. Earlier this week, while speaking with John Donovan of SI.com, Milledge vented:

“A lot of veterans [on the Mets] didn’t like the way I play the game. They thought I didn’t respect it,” Milledge says later in the clubhouse. “But the vets here have no problem with me. They know I respect it. They know I work hard.”

And on his time in New York:

“I can’t go through anything worse than I went through in New York. It only gets better from here.”

I guess Milledge was not hoping to reconcile with his former ‘mates. Mets third baseman David Wright took exception to Lastings comments.

Via Newsdays David Lennon:

“Enough is enough,” David Wright said yesterday. “You’re a Washington National now. Don’t worry about what happened last year or the year before that. Just go out there and try to help the Nationals win.The veterans were never mean to him or singled him out,” Wright said. “They always tried to teach him. Some of that comes through tough love. I went through it, Jose [Reyes] went through it. All the young guys in the game go through that tough-love period. Some handle it better than others.”

The most infamous of the events that Milledge is complaining about stems from a sign hanging from his previous locker in the Mets clubhouse that read “Know your place, Rook!” The sign was created by Mets closer, Billy Wagner who also had some comments for the disgruntled former Mets outfielder:

“Everyone in the organization babied the heck out of him,” Wagner said. “We couldn’t get on him too much because we were told to lay off of him. It could have been a whole lot worse for him and all we did was try to help him to help us.”

I guess Lastings never heard the saying, “Cat got your tongue?”

Sad thing is that he already learned all of his tough lessons and probably doesn't need the tough love anymore. He certainly didn't make life easy on himself showing up late on gamedays as a rookie. Quite the sesative little bitch if you ask me.

I see both sides on this one....Lastings did have an oversensitivity problem and a complete lack of common sense....but like VG says here public call outs only work in the barracks where everyone's ass is on the line. Everywhere else I have seen it applied has resulted in creating a more toxic atmosphere.

I am not fan of Milledge and his antics, but I would really love for Billy Wagner to shut the fuck up. This is the same man who threw his manager under the bus last year and whined like a little girl when despite making 13 million dollars a year was incredibly upset at how dare his manager would ask him to get 5 outs in a game against the Phils on Aug 30th, a game which of course shitbag blew. Want to talk about acting with class, this is the last man that should comment on that.

I fucking loathe this guy so much.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Wagner either. I've read a bunch of stuff on his bullshit. Callin out Omar in fucking NOVEMBER because he hadn't replace Glavine's 15 wins yet. He is a joke. That said, I can only imagine that Milledge was pulled aside by the veterans multiple times before the locker sign happened. I remember when that happened there were rumors flying around that Cliff Floyd put it up. I think they were all sick of him acting like a premadona in his rookie year. Wagner is a deuche but he usually calls em how he sees em.

I want Milledge back.

Me, too, but that's not going to happen. He was a kid acting like a kid. I think the Mets should have shown more patience with him and just fined his ass more, and more or less put him on ice.

PS I'm pretty sure Floyd was afraid LM would take his job.

In case anyone is wondering, in 10 games and 32 Spring ABs, Milledge has a .486 OBP, .406 BA, 7 RBI, 13 H, 6 for extra bases, has scored 8 runs, has stolen 5 bases, and has no homers as of yet. I know it's only spring training, but Church and Schneider better have career years.

In case anyone is wondering, in 10 games and 32 Spring ABs, Milledge has a .486 OBP, .406 BA, 7 RBI, 13 H, 6 for extra bases, has scored 8 runs, has stolen 5 bases, and has no homers as of yet. I know it's only spring training, but Church and Schneider better have career years.

Jim he is going to be able to play everyday, that is going to be huge for Milledge.

Too bad he still can't hit a decent slider. :P

Meh. I don't think anyone was debating whether he has skills or not. I honestly think that the Mets were just getting rid of his clubhouse personality. He just looks like a malcontent and listening to some of his ex-teammates comments (Wright in paticular) I'm sure he is.