SportsWrath

Is Gibril a Giant on Monday?

boohyah

If someone gives him 15 mil guaranteed that GM should be commited. Players like Gbril Wilson can be replaced, hope he stays, but to break the bank? No thanks. That was a problem of the pre Coughlin ERA, we overpaid for our own players they were just not that good.

There is no possible way he stays a Giants, especially considering we can replace him in the draft. There are mid round safety's that can play nealy to the level Gibril has.

I won't be surprised if the Giants pick a safety in the early rounds. And if Wilson isn't a Giant, look for a rookie and M Johnson to start at safety... and I won't lose a step.

I won't be surprised if the Giants pick a safety in the early rounds. And if Wilson isn't a Giant, look for a rookie and M Johnson to start at safety... and I won't lose a step.

I don't care if you lose a step, you don't play for the Giants, so there!

:P

More than likely, Wilson is gone. Personally, I like him a lot and think he's due for a breakout season. As a rookie, he wowed me with his bone-crushing hits. Hardest hitter I've ever seen on the Giants. However, after his rookie season was cut short with that "stinger" injury, he was never quite the same. But remember, before he got hurt, in only 8 games he had 56 tackles, 3 sacks, 3 interceptions and 2 pass deflections. The following year he had 112 tackles (team high) and 3 sacks.

Regardless, I think that as a rookie, he kind of free-lanced and charged with reckless abandon - which gave him some good stats, but at the same time caused him to be out of position and there were quite a few plays he should have been in on, but wasn't. There are no stats to record those mistakes. I think in the next couple of seasons, he concentrated more on doing exactly what the coaches told him to do and that caused him to sometimes be a step behind because he did more thinking than just reacting like his early days. On the other hand, he has 4 years of seasoning in the Giants system so that his instincts are becoming "Giantized" and he is ready for a breakout that could land him in the pro-bowl for the next few years.

Bottom line: Gibril's a damn good football player who is about to enter into his prime years. I hope the Giants are able to keep him, but I doubt they'll pay the kind of money some other team will offer him. In my opinion, they should just pay him and lock him up....but I trust our staff to make the right decision. I hope letting him go doesn't become the worst decision the Giants ever made. I guess time will tell.

The draft is very weak in safeties this year and the only plum in the group is Kenny Philips. There is a good chance he could still be on the board in the 31st pick for the Giants because there are so many great players available that teams won't be able to afford to let slip by them. If the Giants could get Phillips....it'd be great, but he's 3 or 4 years away from being a prime-time player.

More than likely, Wilson is gone. Personally, I like him a lot and think he's due for a breakout season. As a rookie, he wowed me with his bone-crushing hits. Hardest hitter I've ever seen on the Giants. However, after his rookie season was cut short with that "stinger" injury, he was never quite the same. But remember, before he got hurt, in only 8 games he had 56 tackles, 3 sacks, 3 interceptions and 2 pass deflections. The following year he had 112 tackles (team high) and 3 sacks.

Regardless, I think that as a rookie, he kind of free-lanced and charged with reckless abandon - which gave him some good stats, but at the same time caused him to be out of position and there were quite a few plays he should have been in on, but wasn't. There are no stats to record those mistakes. I think in the next couple of seasons, he concentrated more on doing exactly what the coaches told him to do and that caused him to sometimes be a step behind because he did more thinking than just reacting like his early days. On the other hand, he has 4 years of seasoning in the Giants system so that his instincts are becoming "Giantized" and he is ready for a breakout that could land him in the pro-bowl for the next few years.

Bottom line: Gibril's a damn good football player who is about to enter into his prime years. I hope the Giants are able to keep him, but I doubt they'll pay the kind of money some other team will offer him. In my opinion, they should just pay him and lock him up....but I trust our staff to make the right decision. I hope letting him go doesn't become the worst decision the Giants ever made. I guess time will tell.

The draft is very weak in safeties this year and the only plum in the group is Kenny Philips. There is a good chance he could still be on the board in the 31st pick for the Giants because there are so many great players available that teams won't be able to afford to let slip by them. If the Giants could get Phillips....it'd be great, but he's 3 or 4 years away from being a prime-time player.

He's a middle of the pack safety. If some other team over-pays for him, so be it. Yes we should try to resign him and we are.. for the right price.

He's a middle of the pack safety. If some other team over-pays for him, so be it. Yes we should try to resign him and we are.. for the right price.

Middle of the pack safeties don't average over a hundred tackles a year, with several sacks and several interceptions each year. I challenge you to come up with stats from another safety in the NFL that tops Wilsons. Middle of the pack safeties average between 55-65 tackles a year and rarely get interceptions of sacks. And no safety in the history of the NFL hits as hard a Wilson does.

I understand where you're coming from, I just think there's a reason other teams are going to pay through the ass to have him on our team. I just hope that if he goes....he doesn't go to a team in our division. That would suck to see him hit Smith so hard that we lose our up and comer WR from injuries.

Middle of the pack safeties don't average over a hundred tackles a year, with several sacks and several interceptions each year. I challenge you to come up with stats from another safety in the NFL that tops Wilsons. Middle of the pack safeties average between 55-65 tackles a year and rarely get interceptions of sacks. And no safety in the history of the NFL hits as hard a Wilson does.

I understand where you're coming from, I just think there's a reason other teams are going to pay through the ass to have him on our team. I just hope that if he goes....he doesn't go to a team in our division. That would suck to see him hit Smith so hard that we lose our up and comer WR from injuries.

heh that gave me a good laugh.

Anyways I like Wilson too he is a great athlete and I hope he realizes that he got his start with the Giant's and hopefully loyalty is more important to him then money.....then again saying that in todays NFL is almost pointless. He's been good for us, one of the better Safetys we have had in along time but if he decided to leave then so be it. Getting a good safety is hard to get in this league and theres going to be teams willing to pay 7-9mill a year for the guy.

But like I said hopefully he will stay with the team so we dont have to completely rebuild the D and hope that his loyalty to the team is better then the $$.

Gibril is a fine safety, I'd like to keep him. But not at the projected cost.

As far as hard hitting. Steve Atwater and Chuck Cecil might have something to say about your comment.

Gibril is a fine safety, I'd like to keep him. But not at the projected cost.

As far as hard hitting. Steve Atwater and Chuck Cecil might have something to say about your comment.

I think he stopped trying to kill the opponent with every tackle after the stinger that put him out for 8 games. Still, he's made some memorable hits. I was looking for the vid of the tackle he made in one of his early games that is simply awesome. I couldn't find it. But here's a clip someone put together on him:

I think he stopped trying to kill the opponent with every tackle after the stinger that put him out for 8 games. Still, he's made some memorable hits. I was looking for the vid of the tackle he made in one of his early games that is simply awesome. I couldn't find it. But here's a clip someone put together on him:

No doubt he hits hard, and was vicious early in his career, but as for being the hardest hitting safety ever, not even close./

No doubt he hits hard, and was vicious early in his career, but as for being the hardest hitting safety ever, not even close./

The only safety I ever remember hitting as hard as Wilson was Sean Taylor who played the way Gibril did before the stinger.

The only safety I ever remember hitting as hard as Wilson was Sean Taylor who played the way Gibril did before the stinger.

Are you serious? Gibril isn't eventhe hardest hitting sfaety currently playing. Roy Williams is a hard hitter, Lynch a few years younger. Then there is Chuck Cecil of days past. That was a hard hitting mofo.

Are you serious? Gibril isn't eventhe hardest hitting sfaety currently playing. Roy Williams is a hard hitter, Lynch a few years younger. Then there is Chuck Cecil of days past. That was a hard hitting mofo.

Anyone remember the article with Cecil in it, saying he was to hard of a hitter for the NFL? Think it was in Sports Illustrated, they said he would hit so hard it caused his nose to bleed. The guy was a loose pit bull in the back field.

I'm shocked no one said Jack Tatum. Tatum remains as one of the most feared defensive players to ever play the game. Geez, he was nicknamed "The Assassin". He also had one of the hardest hits in SuperBowl history.

Bleedin', I always enjoy reading your stuff, and you usually are pretty on target, but your comment about Wilson was a bit of a reach, buddy, to put it mildly!

I'm shocked no one said Jack Tatum. Tatum remains as one of the most feared defensive players to ever play the game. Geez, he was nicknamed "The Assassin". He also had one of the hardest hits in SuperBowl history.

Bleedin', I always enjoy reading your stuff, and you usually are pretty on target, but your comment about Wilson was a bit of a reach, buddy, to put it mildly!

Again...my bad. I simply remember being impressed with his early headknocking tackles. I forgot all about Tatum....duh.

Anyway....according to kffl....Gibril is meeting with the Oakland Raiders who have targeted him.

Again...my bad. I simply remember being impressed with his early headknocking tackles. I forgot all about Tatum....duh.

Anyway....according to kffl....Gibril is meeting with the Oakland Raiders who have targeted him.

It's all good, my friend. I too get swept up in emotion talking about certain players I'm high on and overstate things from time to time. I really wish the Giants would keep Gibril. Even if it means they overpay for him. As you correctly stated, the safety free agent and draft markets are not good. And the free agent pool seems to be getting dimmer by the minute. Madieu Williams, one of the guys the Giants were targeting, is off the board having signed with Minnesota for 6 years, $34 million, and Erik Coleman is visiting the Falcons today as well. Gibril has been great for us, he may not be the best in the NFL, but he is one of the better ones, maybe top 10, and the Giants have the cap room to get it done. I'd rather them not let Torbor, Mitchell, AND Wilson go. I am worrying that this might be a mistake. It's all about supply and demand. And the supply for safeties right now is low. With slim pickin's in the draft, we better not be stuck with Butler!

It's all good, my friend. I too get swept up in emotion talking about certain players I'm high on and overstate things from time to time. I really wish the Giants would keep Gibril. Even if it means they overpay for him. As you correctly stated, the safety free agent and draft markets are not good. And the free agent pool seems to be getting dimmer by the minute. Madieu Williams, one of the guys the Giants were targeting, is off the board having signed with Minnesota for 6 years, $34 million, and Erik Coleman is visiting the Falcons today as well. Gibril has been great for us, he may not be the best in the NFL, but he is one of the better ones, maybe top 10, and the Giants have the cap room to get it done. I'd rather them not let Torbor, Mitchell, AND Wilson go. I am worrying that this might be a mistake. It's all about supply and demand. And the supply for safeties right now is low. With slim pickin's in the draft, we better not be stuck with Butler!

Early reports that I read said the Wilson prefers to stay a Giant and would let the Giants match any offer he got out there. I can't imagine him wanting to play in Oakland, but who knows. The fact that he'll let the Giants try to match means he really wants to stay in NY. With Torbor and Mitchell already grabbed up....the Giants might be thinking a little harder about figuring out a way to retain Wilson.....especially since there is so few good options out there.

The Raiders reached an agreement with former New York Giants free-agent safety Gibril Wilson on a six-year contract worth $39 million, including $16 million guaranteed.

I don't think he's worth that much.....