SportsWrath

Moss Growing Slowly

Virginia Giant

Giants' Moss growing slowly

Saturday, November 17, 2007

By TARA SULLIVAN

STAFF WRITER

EAST RUTHERFORD -- In most NFL offenses, the third wide receiver isn't expected to be a big part of the game plan. But he is expected to be some part of the game plan, if only to attract enough attention to keep an opposing defense honest.

So far this season, Giants' foes have been able to do plenty of cheating, given how little production New York has been getting from whichever receiver is playing behind Plaxico Burress and Amani Toomer. For most of the year, the spot has been held down by Sinorice Moss, whose measly seven catches for 59 yards (no touchdowns) have had little impact on the Giants' 6-3 record heading into Sunday's game against the Lions.

"I am eager to be that guy for this team," Moss said Friday, his one catch for 13 yards in Sunday's loss to Dallas whetting his appetite for more. "That's why I continue to come out and work hard every day to show them that any time I get the opportunity to touch the ball, I can help."

Moss' speed is his biggest asset, the main reason the Giants made the diminutive 5-foot-8 receiver out of Miami their second pick in last year's draft. But after missing the bulk of his rookie season with a quadriceps injury, Moss watched as the Giants selected Southern California wide receiver Steve Smith in this year's second round. Smith won the No. 3 receiver spot out of training camp, catching five balls for 25 yards in the first two games before going down with a broken scapula.

Moss stepped back into the picture, but with Smith further hampered by a hamstring injury, still has been unable to find his niche. Considering the Giants' offense is populated with such productive options as Burress, Toomer, tight end Jeremy Shockey and running back Brandon Jacobs, crashing the party isn't easy. But everyone agrees it would be hugely beneficial to the Giants to get Moss more involved.

Earlier this week, Shockey predicted a breakout game for that solitary wide receiver so often lined up against single coverage on the far side of the field.

"Sinorice will be a player," Shockey, a fellow Miami product, insisted. "He has not had that many opportunities and he is so fast and so explosive. You see a couple plays where he is just running wide open down the sideline because there is no one in the league that can run with him.

"Everyone is going to see that. I think he is an exceptional player, but you have to have the opportunity. Every time he has a ball thrown at him or any time he has an opportunity to make a play, I think he will step up and answer the call."

Moss, grateful for the support, said: "That's motivation for myself to keep going out and showing flashes and keep progressing each week. It's important for me to keep a positive attitude so when it does happen, it won't be a surprise to me."

One good 50-yard shock to an opposing defense could be enough to make Moss more of a factor.

"We are certainly trying to do everything we can to encourage that growth and development because we need him," offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride said. "You don't want to be playing with 10 guys. You want to play and utilize all 11 guys. And certainly if he is a more integral part of what you are doing, then it prevents people from loading up on other guys. So we are doing everything we can to keep him involved."

PIERCE PRACTICES: Just as he vowed Thursday, middle linebacker Antonio Pierce returned to practice Friday. Though the veteran didn't speak with reporters after practice, he reiterated through a team spokesperson he intends to play Sunday. Burress (ankle) remains hobbled but will play, leaving the only Giants on the injury report who won't play as running back Derrick Ward (ankle, groin) and Smith (shoulder, hamstring).

E-mail: sullivan@northjersey.com

Giants' Moss growing slowly

Saturday, November 17, 2007

By TARA SULLIVAN

STAFF WRITER

EAST RUTHERFORD -- In most NFL offenses, the third wide receiver isn't expected to be a big part of the game plan. But he is expected to be some part of the game plan, if only to attract enough attention to keep an opposing defense honest.

So far this season, Giants' foes have been able to do plenty of cheating, given how little production New York has been getting from whichever receiver is playing behind Plaxico Burress and Amani Toomer. For most of the year, the spot has been held down by Sinorice Moss, whose measly seven catches for 59 yards (no touchdowns) have had little impact on the Giants' 6-3 record heading into Sunday's game against the Lions.

"I am eager to be that guy for this team," Moss said Friday, his one catch for 13 yards in Sunday's loss to Dallas whetting his appetite for more. "That's why I continue to come out and work hard every day to show them that any time I get the opportunity to touch the ball, I can help."

Moss' speed is his biggest asset, the main reason the Giants made the diminutive 5-foot-8 receiver out of Miami their second pick in last year's draft. But after missing the bulk of his rookie season with a quadriceps injury, Moss watched as the Giants selected Southern California wide receiver Steve Smith in this year's second round. Smith won the No. 3 receiver spot out of training camp, catching five balls for 25 yards in the first two games before going down with a broken scapula.

Moss stepped back into the picture, but with Smith further hampered by a hamstring injury, still has been unable to find his niche. Considering the Giants' offense is populated with such productive options as Burress, Toomer, tight end Jeremy Shockey and running back Brandon Jacobs, crashing the party isn't easy. But everyone agrees it would be hugely beneficial to the Giants to get Moss more involved.

Earlier this week, Shockey predicted a breakout game for that solitary wide receiver so often lined up against single coverage on the far side of the field.

"Sinorice will be a player," Shockey, a fellow Miami product, insisted. "He has not had that many opportunities and he is so fast and so explosive. You see a couple plays where he is just running wide open down the sideline because there is no one in the league that can run with him.

"Everyone is going to see that. I think he is an exceptional player, but you have to have the opportunity. Every time he has a ball thrown at him or any time he has an opportunity to make a play, I think he will step up and answer the call."

Moss, grateful for the support, said: "That's motivation for myself to keep going out and showing flashes and keep progressing each week. It's important for me to keep a positive attitude so when it does happen, it won't be a surprise to me."

One good 50-yard shock to an opposing defense could be enough to make Moss more of a factor.

"We are certainly trying to do everything we can to encourage that growth and development because we need him," offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride said. "You don't want to be playing with 10 guys. You want to play and utilize all 11 guys. And certainly if he is a more integral part of what you are doing, then it prevents people from loading up on other guys. So we are doing everything we can to keep him involved."

PIERCE PRACTICES: Just as he vowed Thursday, middle linebacker Antonio Pierce returned to practice Friday. Though the veteran didn't speak with reporters after practice, he reiterated through a team spokesperson he intends to play Sunday. Burress (ankle) remains hobbled but will play, leaving the only Giants on the injury report who won't play as running back Derrick Ward (ankle, groin) and Smith (shoulder, hamstring).

E-mail: sullivan@northjersey.com

They can talk all about how much of a gamer Moss is. To me he is squat right now . Show us what you can do on the field ,don't tell us how you can do it while your in the locker room. That goes for all the players and coaches as well. I mean don't get me wrong I have hope he will be good for us. Just dont tell us, show us.

They can talk all about how much of a gamer Moss is. To me he is squat right now . Show us what you can do on the field ,don't tell us how you can do it while your in the locker room. That goes for all the players and coaches as well. I mean don't get me wrong I have hope he will be good for us. Just dont tell us, show us.

I think there's a subtle message in the article that says: Give Moss more touches. He can't produce if he's on the sidelines.

With Plax and Jacobs out, we need every player possible to step up.

we need every player to step up even with Plax and Jacobs on the field. who are you kidding?

Moss and Hedgecock took that step today if our secondary could only do the same thing .

we need every player to step up even with Plax and Jacobs on the field. who are you kidding?

Moss and Hedgecock took that step today if our secondary could only do the same thing .

Three Ints, two of them game savers. I don't think we can be too harsh on our secondary today. They kept one of the most prolific offenses in the league out of the endzone for most of the game.