SportsWrath

The Jay Feely Appreciation Thread

RandolphScott

He was on Bengals PS a couple of weeks ago, but I think he got cut from there.

Kickoffs are just as important as FGs IMO. We really lacked in kickoffs with Feeley. One of the biggest non-talked about reasons why we lost the Cowboys game. Look back where they started every drive. The difference between the 35 and 25 is huge.

They are, unless you have a D thats shutdown like ours. Thats my point, outta the two, Id take Feely cause hes more accurate, and our D can make up for the short kickoffs.

Lawrence Tynes also hasn't missed 3 game winners yet.

nobody wants tynes as our kicker, but fewer want Feely back.

But thats the point. If he cant make easy XP's, and easy chip shots, then how will he make crucial GW FG's?

Other than the Seahawk game, Feely was fine. Tynes stinks all the way around.

They are, unless you have a D thats shutdown like ours. Thats my point, outta the two, Id take Feely cause hes more accurate, and our D can make up for the short kickoffs.

We have the worst kick-offs in the league right now. Best starting position for the opposition of ANY team. Tynes is not the kick-off champ some think he is.

Tynes just outright sucks. Feely wasn't 'clutch', so I'd say that only makes him blow, not completely suck. However, Feely will have a record setting 19 FG's in Wembley, accounting for all of Miami's points in a devastating 70-57 loss to the Geeeeeeeeee-Men. :rock::rock::rock:

Can't tell me Tynes beat out Houston in camp. Where is he now?

actually back on October 3rd Huston and Cundiff were at Giants stadium and kicked dor coughlin. coughlin still decided to stick with Tynes. Tynes must have pics or something. :brooding:

actually back on October 3rd Huston and Cundiff were at Giants stadium and kicked dor coughlin. coughlin still decided to stick with Tynes. Tynes must have pics or something. :brooding:

Is there a kicker in NFL history that has missed 2 or more PAT's less than 1/2way thru a season?......AND kept his job?

Was their ever a kicker who missed 3 field goals in less than 15 minutes

to win a game AND kept his job? :P

See, this is where I differ on my thoughts about the situation. Dont get me wrong, there has never in my eyes been a a bigger fuck up on such a meaningful game, which is why we all remember it so vividly. (Feely fuckin up the Hawks game). But take that ONE game out. He's money. Wasn t he like 2nd or 3rd in kickers points that season? And they werent chip shots, the shortest of the 3 was like 40 somethin yds. Tynes is missing chip shots and XP's.....thats just pathetic.

Was their ever a kicker who missed 3 field goals in less than 15 minutes

to win a game AND kept his job? :P

dude, he legitimately missed 2(into the wind) that he actually had a shot at hitting, they were long and into the wind, regardless. it wasnt that bad, we should have won that game long before that, never should have came to it, and we could even have won had we decided not to kick a 55 yarder into the wind. he kicked 85% for us. lawrence tynes isnt even 85% in extra points.

dude, he legitimately missed 2(into the wind) that he actually had a shot at hitting, they were long and into the wind, regardless. it wasnt that bad, we should have won that game long before that, never should have came to it, and we could even have won had we decided not to kick a 55 yarder into the wind. he kicked 85% for us. lawrence tynes isnt even 85% in extra points.

40 and 45 yards, those were the two he SHOULD have made. Brown sure as hell didn't have much of a problem knocking them through in that game, as far as i remember anyway. The one I don't get too upset over is the 54 yarder.

Of course we should have won before that, but if you scored every time you have the ball, there would be no need for kickers.

40 and 45 yards, those were the two he SHOULD have made. Brown sure as hell didn't have much of a problem knocking them through in that game, as far as i remember anyway. The one I don't get too upset over is the 54 yarder.

Of course we should have won before that, but if you scored every time you have the ball, there would be no need for kickers.

anything over 40 yards into the wind, to win the game, is by no means, an easy kick. Incidentally, it only follows that Brown kicks with the wind...I dont remember the game all that much, but his game winner was inside 40, im almost positive. They had like 20 yards to go after the SNAFU with the 54 yarder that should have been a punt...

he was by far the best kicker we've had in years and we wouldn't pay him a little bit more to keep him and actually have a kicker that can nail extra points. 85% field goal percentage. That's really, really good...most kickers struggle to hit 80. He had 144 points for us one year.

anything over 40 yards into the wind, to win the game, is by no means, an easy kick. Incidentally, it only follows that Brown kicks with the wind...I dont remember the game all that much, but his game winner was inside 40, im almost positive. They had like 20 yards to go after the SNAFU with the 54 yarder that should have been a punt...

he was by far the best kicker we've had in years and we wouldn't pay him a little bit more to keep him and actually have a kicker that can nail extra points. 85% field goal percentage. That's really, really good...most kickers struggle to hit 80. He had 144 points for us one year.

A kicker should make a 40 yard kick, wind or not.

A kicker should make a 45 yard kick, wind or not

Missing one of those 2 is sometimes acceptable and expected. Never both to win a game.

I don't care if he was a 98 % kicker, if the only 2 he missed all year were those two, my opinion stays the same.

BTW, Tynes is at 83.3 % FG's right now. And has missed 2 XP's.

A kicker should make a 40 yard kick, wind or not.

A kicker should make a 45 yard kick, wind or not

Missing one of those 2 is sometimes acceptable and expected. Never both to win a game.

I don't care if he was a 98 % kicker, if the only 2 he missed all year were those two, my opinion stays the same.

BTW, Tynes is at 83.3 % FG's right now. And has missed 2 XP's.

and luckily, it hasnt hurt us yet because our offense is a lot better than it was when we played the seahawks. but do you understand how demoralizing it is to score a touchdown, miss the xp, give up a touchdown and not be TIED!? if the game became a defensive struggle we'd be screwed. being forced to tie a game with a two point conversion is not something im looking forward to, but if he keeps missing XP it's going to. Jay Feely was consistent. Lawrence Tynes is not. Consistency wins you football games. Even if it loses you one friggin game because you're team can't hold a lead and you're coach doesnt punt the ball away. How many field goals have you attempted Virginia Giant? a 40 yarder in Seattle is never a gimme.

and luckily, it hasnt hurt us yet because our offense is a lot better than it was when we played the seahawks. but do you understand how demoralizing it is to score a touchdown, miss the xp, give up a touchdown and not be TIED!? if the game became a defensive struggle we'd be screwed. being forced to tie a game with a two point conversion is not something im looking forward to, but if he keeps missing XP it's going to. Jay Feely was consistent. Lawrence Tynes is not. Consistency wins you football games. Even if it loses you one friggin game because you're team can't hold a lead and you're coach doesnt punt the ball away. How many field goals have you attempted Virginia Giant? a 40 yarder in Seattle is never a gimme.

Again, I don't want Tynes as our kicker, but you throw up Feely's 85% around like that proves something. Tynes is kicking 83.3 % so far. Difference?

2 missed XP's. If we lose by 1 point (I realize its very possible) then we can worry about him missing an XP. Demoralizing? Eh, maybe, but I don't think its as heart breaking early in a game as you suggest.

How many fielde goals have I attempted? Um, Zero. I have also never attempted to throw a 50 yard bomb to Plaxico Burress, or take a handoff and try to run over London Flether. The difference is, i don't get paid to do these things.

When Eli tosses a pick from throwing into double coverage, he is criticized. When Brandon Jacobs funbles on the goal line, he is criticised. And when Jay Feely misses 3 game winners he gets criticised. Just so happens he did this and expected a raise, so he became expendable.

I don't like Tynes, I don't trust him, I cringe when he steps foot on the field, but the difference between him and Feely is nowhere near as drastic as you think, 2 missed PAT's by my count.

Again, I don't want Tynes as our kicker, but you throw up Feely's 85% around like that proves something. Tynes is kicking 83.3 % so far. Difference?

2 missed XP's. If we lose by 1 point (I realize its very possible) then we can worry about him missing an XP. Demoralizing? Eh, maybe, but I don't think its as heart breaking early in a game as you suggest.

How many fielde goals have I attempted? Um, Zero. I have also never attempted to throw a 50 yard bomb to Plaxico Burress, or take a handoff and try to run over London Flether. The difference is, i don't get paid to do these things.

When Eli tosses a pick from throwing into double coverage, he is criticized. When Brandon Jacobs funbles on the goal line, he is criticised. And when Jay Feely misses 3 game winners he gets criticised. Just so happens he did this and expected a raise, so he became expendable.

I don't like Tynes, I don't trust him, I cringe when he steps foot on the field, but the difference between him and Feely is nowhere near as drastic as you think, 2 missed PAT's by my count.

you get a raise(or at least a new contract) based on stats and performance, which based on Feely's, he deserved. The Giants and especially fans like you used Jay Feely as a scape goat for a disappointing season. Remember he kicked 85 through 16, Tynes has 83 through 7. And if he's missing extra points there's no reason for me to believe he could EVER be relied on to kick a game winner(which is almost worse because Jay Feely DID kick game winners, just not that game). And there's nothing worse than scoring a touchdown and then realizing you're down by 1 because you're kicker can't kick a 15(!) yard field goal.

you get a raise(or at least a new contract) based on stats and performance, which based on Feely's, he deserved. The Giants and especially fans like you used Jay Feely as a scape goat for a disappointing season. Remember he kicked 85 through 16, Tynes has 83 through 7. And if he's missing extra points there's no reason for me to believe he could EVER be relied on to kick a game winner(which is almost worse because Jay Feely DID kick game winners, just not that game). And there's nothing worse than scoring a touchdown and then realizing you're down by 1 because you're kicker can't kick a 15(!) yard field goal.

The Year Feely kicked 85 %, he attempted 27 field goals, not exactly a lot. Tynes has attempted 12 through 7.

No, i don't use Feely as a scapegoat for that season, i use him as a scapegoat for that game.

At my job, my raise is performance based also. If i do a good job the majority of the time i get a raise, a few small screw ups might cost me some money. 1 big screw up that costs my company a lot of money might get me fired.

Oh, and tynes is 4 for 4 on FG's and 8 for 8 on PAT's when the Giants are behind. He has missed 2 FG's when we are tied.

In 2006 Feely was 8 for 10 when behind and 5 of 7 when tied (fg's)

The Year Feely kicked 85 %, he attempted 27 field goals, not exactly a lot. Tynes has attempted 12 through 7.

No, i don't use Feely as a scapegoat for that season, i use him as a scapegoat for that game.

At my job, my raise is performance based also. If i do a good job the majority of the time i get a raise, a few small screw ups might cost me some money. 1 big screw up that costs my company a lot of money might get me fired.

Oh, and tynes is 4 for 4 on FG's and 8 for 8 on PAT's when the Giants are behind. He has missed 2 FG's when we are tied.

In 2006 Feely was 8 for 10 when behind and 5 of 7 when tied (fg's)

what are those stats supposed to tell me? how do they change the fact we gave up a better kicker because he wanted a hundred thousand dollars more.

It wasn't even Feeleys 3 game winners that he missed that killed me. I do give him a benefit there. The first two were chokes, but sending him out for a third one was retarded. A 54 yarder when his confidence was shot, let your ace punter nail them inside their own 5.

His kickoffs were what earned him a one way out of New York. Line drives to the 7 became too common for a defense that was having trouble stopping offenses. It's demoralizing coming out at the 35 when the real goal is the 25-27 yard line.

I hate Tynes, but I don't miss Feeley. The guy I wanted the Giants to draft was that UCLA kicker Meddle, and I don't think he's even on the Chiefs roster anymore. It's so hard to find kickers these days, yet teams like the Pats and Dallas just made it look easy.

what are those stats supposed to tell me? how do they change the fact we gave up a better kicker because he wanted a hundred thousand dollars more.

The whole point is, Feely wasn't better, at least not as much better as you insinuate. The numbers are similar at worst. When we're tied or behind in games, Tynes misses no more than Feely did.

Feely was not a far and away better kicker.