SportsWrath

Samuel

so-cal dub

LOL I know, right? Lance Briggs made 300 K last year and this year he's gonna make over 7 mil... and he's complaining about it.

It's all about 'feeding his family'. I got a 2% raise this year but my medical insurance went up 30 dollars a month, Directv went up, gas went up and the phone bill increased 5 dollars more a month. Fuck I should 'sit out' too!!!! :furious:

I dont know, I make nowhere near 7 mil and I dont have any trouble feeding my family, paying rent, paying bills, blowing a couple hundy at a bar, picking up a hooker or two, dropping a wad on a fat sack of chronic. These guys are pathetic.

I dont know, I make nowhere near 7 mil and I dont have any trouble feeding my family, paying rent, paying bills, blowing a couple hundy at a bar, picking up a hooker or two, dropping a wad on a fat sack of chronic. These guys are pathetic.

As a Giants fan, I am glad to see that J Reese is NOT throwing money at a bunch of above average guys with the potential of them 'holding out'. It's ridiculous what Assante Samuel, Nate Clements and Briggs will get.

Two things about the Franchise Tag:

1. The money isn't guaranteed. You get hurt and you get screwed.

2. The Tag (according to ESPN) was implemented back in 1993. So these players had nothing to do with it being created.

Now granted, I wouldn't be bitching about $5-8Million, but you have to look at it from the player's prospective. Say that Lance Briggs goes out and plays a full season for the Bears and tears his ACL. The Bears could then say, "Sucks for you Lance. You're cut." and then Briggs is left out in the cold with nothing to fall back on. If that $5-8Million was guaranteed money and the players were still complaining, then I might feel differently, but the Franchise Tag was a terrible idea no matter who wanted it.

2. The Tag (according to ESPN) was implemented back in 1993. So these players had nothing to do with it being created.

Now granted, I wouldn't be bitching about $5-8Million, but you have to look at it from the player's prospective. Say that Lance Briggs goes out and plays a full season for the Bears and tears his ACL. The Bears could then say, "Sucks for you Lance. You're cut." and then Briggs is left out in the cold with nothing to fall back on. If that $5-8Million was guaranteed money and the players were still complaining, then I might feel differently, but the Franchise Tag was a terrible idea no matter who wanted it.

I feel so much 'better' now. And that makes me feel sorry for Assante Samuel. He deserves a LONG contract worth 5 million a year guaranteed. :worshippy: ;)

Then they should have gotten an education while in college. Fuck what a good athlete makes in 1 year would be good enough for the vast majority of the population to live on for many years. I understand that they want to cash in but where the hell is the professionalism anymore?

Then they should have gotten an education while in college. Fuck what a good athlete makes in 1 year would be good enough for the vast majority of the population to live on for many years. I understand that they want to cash in but where the hell is the professionalism anymore?

I would approach it from a different angle....both football and basketball benefit from having what is in effect a "free" minor leagues when it comes to the college ranks. Unlike baseball where most of their young talent bypasses college and comes from a professional minor league where they are paid a working man's salary. I always thought it was hypocritical for the colleges/universities and the NFL/NBA who benefit immensely from this scholar athlete bullshit. And the NFL has been able to get away with no guaranteed minimum salaries forever, which in my opinion is simply not fair.

Basically a three letter man would turn his nose up at football and perhaps even basketball (dependent upon the position) when he could play for Major League Baseball with the possibility of playing well into his forties. Football you are washed up in your mid thirties unless you are a kicker; basketball you might be able to get away with your late thirties; but baseball has them both beat. They should institute a baseball style luxury tax on the big market teams.

I am sorry but I know the Giants and a couple of the other old time organizations helped build the NFL through revenue sharing (which should be maintained to a certain degree); but I would prefer that the Giants were the Yankees of the NFL. A team where everyone (or most everyone) wanted to play at because it was/is a perennial favorite to win it all because of the breadth of talent on the team. System where a relatively small market team like lets say the Dallas Broke Backs would never have been possible year after year in baseball. A league where there is no major team in the LA area....simply ludicrous. Now the players may be more cynical and grasping in the NFL of today....but in my opinion the owners do not get a free pass as they are all making out like bandits and are always playing with house money, so to speak.

It goes both ways. Like I was saying before, that good athlete gets hurt and he get's screwed. From the organization's perspective it's like, "Great! Now we don't have to pay this MF'er cause none of this money is guaranteed." The athlete is basically trying to protect themselves and their families. IMHO I think that this is more about the guaranteed part than about the actual dollar amount. Think about it, Take Briggs for instance: He's slated to make $7Million this year, but he wants a long term contract. In a long term contract, let's say 7 years with a $20Million Signing bonus, if my math is correct, that equals out to just under $3Million in guaranteed money a year. If he gets hurt he's okay due to the fact that he's getting the bonus regardless, but in the case of the Franchise Tag the player gets nothing.

As far as the education goes, there's no arguing that. I think that everyone should stay in school for all four years, but that's not the case and when teams start throwing money at you it's kinda hard to say, "No, I'm going to stay in school."