SportsWrath

Jim Finn to remain a Giant

Lughead

LINK to the BLUESCREEN

Texans Match Offer for Leach

Ready for some more bad news?

The Houston Texans have matched the Giants' offer sheet for fullback Vonta Leach.

The team made the announcement in a press release this afternoon, in which they also announced they have cut quarterback David Carr and running back Domanick Williams (who used to be Domanick Davis). The Texans had until Monday to match the four-year, $7.2 million offer sheet that Leach had signed with the Giants on Monday, but they decided not to wait.

It's not clear what this means for incumbent Giants fullback Jim Finn, who would have obviously been the odd-man out in New York if the Texans had declined to match the offer. Obviously the Giants are interested in moving in another direction. However Finn is still under contract through 2009.

More on the Giants' failure to trade for Al Wilson:

It does appear that Wilson failed his physical this morning. Details are still sketchy, but one source indicated the problem was with his neck, not with his surgically repaired right thumb. The 29-year-old Wilson had to be carted from the field during a game against the Seattle Seahawks on Dec. 3 with a sprained neck. He did, however, play the next week.

Also, according to a team source, no Giants players were part of the potential deal with Denver.

OK, here's some non-bad news. Not good, but not bad, either:

Bob Lattinville, the agent for free-agent guard Matt Lehr, spoke with Giants assistant GM Kevin Abrams last night. No offers were exchanged, but Lattinville said Abrams asked him to get back to the Giants "if things don't work out" elsewhere. Lehr visited Miami and has also drawn recent interest from the Tampa Bay Bucs and Detroit Lions.

However, Lattinville said "We will check back in with New York" before Lehr signs anywhere else.

Nems week just went from orgasmic to ohfuckit

theres still hope

Texans jumped the gun on Leach

Posted by Mike Garafolo March 23, 2007 5:01PM

Categories: Free Agency

Oh man, what a bad day for all of us.

The Texans sent out a press release less than an hour ago saying they had re-signed FB Vonta Leach. Well, they jumped the gun. I just got a call from a member of Houston's PR department telling me a new relase is coming my way soon. This one will say they haven't resigned Leach...YET.

Now, read carefully: They might match the Giants' offer to Leach eventually (they have until Monday). But they haven't done so yet.

(UPDATE: Just got the new release. It doesn't mention Leach at all; only that they've released QB David Carr and RB Dominick Williams while re-signing RB Ron Dayne. They merely deleted Leach's name and all references to him.)

theres still hope

Texans jumped the gun on Leach

Posted by Mike Garafolo March 23, 2007 5:01PM

Categories: Free Agency

Oh man, what a bad day for all of us.

The Texans sent out a press release less than an hour ago saying they had re-signed FB Vonta Leach. Well, they jumped the gun. I just got a call from a member of Houston's PR department telling me a new relase is coming my way soon. This one will say they haven't resigned Leach...YET.

Now, read carefully: They might match the Giants' offer to Leach eventually (they have until Monday). But they haven't done so yet.

(UPDATE: Just got the new release. It doesn't mention Leach at all; only that they've released QB David Carr and RB Dominick Williams while re-signing RB Ron Dayne. They merely deleted Leach's name and all references to him.)

:rock:

There's still hope.

For the draft nerds, are there any blocking back/TE players available in the draft... kinda like Marcus Pollard in his days with the Colts?

I have a problem with expecting rookies to be good blockers. At the college level they are going up against much smaller defenses most of the time, not the consistent 250-260 OLB or a 260-280 DE who are not only bigger and stronger but faster than what they are used to.

Now I wouldn't call myself a draft nerd at all especially since I do not follow college football, but I do read nfldraftcountdown.com among other websites and Matt Spaeth is listed as a superb blocker, and he happens to be 6-7 and 270. Problem is they list him as a first day pick and I do not know if I would want to spend a 1-3 rounder on a blocking TE.

If I am a Raiders I am blowing my load right now. I can sign David Carr, a relatively young guy who is tough(been sacked 249 times) and has potential to be my QB. I can then draft Calvin Johnson to be my go to WR to go along with my young QB and trade Randy Moss for a plethora of later round picks to restock a roster that is weak. With my early 2nd round pick I can draft a OT(possibly guy from Cental Michigan Joe Staley). I wind up with Carr, Johnson and Staley, rid my roster of a turd like Moss and place those three guys among Lamont Jordan and Jerry Porter.

If I am a Raiders I am blowing my load right now. I can sign David Carr, a relatively young guy who is tough(been sacked 249 times) and has potential to be my QB. I can then draft Calvin Johnson to be my go to WR to go along with my young QB and trade Randy Moss for a plethora of later round picks to restock a roster that is weak. With my early 2nd round pick I can draft a OT(possibly guy from Cental Michigan Joe Staley). I wind up with Carr, Johnson and Staley, rid my roster of a turd like Moss and place those three guys among Lamont Jordan and Jerry Porter.

You're talking about Al Davis here. He'll trade for Carr and still draft Russel.

omg, you must hate david carr. going from the frying pan into the fire. from the 5th worst offense to the worst. how's he going to show his stuff in that quagmire?

omg, you must hate david carr. going from the frying pan into the fire. from the 5th worst offense to the worst. how's he going to show his stuff in that quagmire?

There's a strong arguement on which line is worse, the Texan or the Raiders. I say the Texans, but not by much.

I hope thats what they do too, I want to see Jamarcus on a team that actually has a chance and won't ruin him.

I hope thats what they do too, I want to see Jamarcus on a team that actually has a chance and won't ruin him.

Usually a 1st round QB does not go to a good team. That's why they have some many bust at that position.

Usually a 1st round QB does not go to a good team. That's why they have some many bust at that position.

ZI understand that, but there's difference between a a team that at least has a clue about football and developing players, and the Raiders.

If I am a Raiders I am blowing my load right now. I can sign David Carr, a relatively young guy who is tough(been sacked 249 times) and has potential to be my QB. I can then draft Calvin Johnson to be my go to WR to go along with my young QB and trade Randy Moss for a plethora of later round picks to restock a roster that is weak. With my early 2nd round pick I can draft a OT(possibly guy from Central Michigan Joe Staley). I wind up with Carr, Johnson and Staley, rid my roster of a turd like Moss and place those three guys among Lamont Jordan and Jerry Porter.

Is Porter going to play for the Raiders still? After last year you'd think he would want out. Sounds like a good plan but I don't think the Raiders make good plans. If there is no interest we should definitely get Carr as our backup QB because the Pillsbury Throw Boy and The View guy aren't going to cut it if Eli goes down. Hell Carr would probably be happy to not be face down in the turf constantly.