SportsWrath

If the Mets were to designate a captain for the year...

Blue Jeans

Team Captain  

9 members have voted

1. 1. If the Mets were to designate a captain for the year who would it be?

• Pedro Martinez
    • El Duque
    • Tom Glavine
    • Billy Wagner
    • Aaron Heilman
    • Jose Reyes
    • David Wright
    • Carlos Delgado
    • Paul Lo Duca
    • Carlos Beltran
    • Julio Franco
    • John Maine
    • Jose Valentin
    • Oliver Perez
    • Duaner Sanchez

I've kinda been wondering who the captain of this team would be if we had one, it seems that everyone has a role. Since John Franco left as captain I was always wondering who would be our next captain.

For this year I would probably choose Paul Lo Duca, he's intense, he knows right from wrong, and he plays the game how it should be played. To be completely honest I think the next team captain will be David Wright but that might not be for a while.

JUST DON'T WEAR THE "C", that's a hockey thing.

I think if the Mets ever do name a captain again it would be wright, but I think he is so closely tied with Reyes that picking one over the other could cause controversy.

Well, Wright is more responsibility and while both are faces of the franchise, Reyes seems like he just wants to have fun while Wright seems fully capable of handling the added pressure. Man, I hope he hits well in the second half this year...that dropoff hurt.

Julio Franco.

He's a great teammate and role model but I don't think he's captain material. A captain leads a team through more than just attitude, they also play their hearts out and produce. Franco's a bench player, and I hate to say it because I think he's a testament to sheer power of will, but the captain would most likely be someone younger and more capable.

I don't think the Mets will name a captain for a while, but I chose Duke, because he has that fire and passion for the game, seems to be a good team mate, will stick up for anyone on the team and leads by example on the field.

good call, remember how he sent Beltran out for the curtain call when some morons were booing him in the first week, Who knows that may have totally changed Beltrans psyche in 06.

i dont think it was that big a deal to change beltran's psyche.

Those first two games really showed we have some big time assholes representing our franchise. That was horrible.

I chose Delgado. He's an older player but not too old, and still very productive.

He's well spoken, outspoken, a total professional who young guys like Wright and Reyes look to for guidance. I was very impressed with the way Delgado carried himself in his first season as a Met.

Julio Franco would be a good captain, but as someone pointed out, he doesn't play alot.

Beltran is too reserved to be a captain. Wright and Reyes are too young. After Delgado, I'd choose Milledge. He's the best teammate a guy could have and a consummate pro. :rolleyes: