SportsWrath

Bad News for Giants Fans: Terry Bradway Next GM?

Exit 117

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?....xml&coll=1

Bradway Left Jets In Good Shape

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

Unfairly, it seems, former Jets GM Terry Bradway has been labeled a failure for his work during his five years running the club. He was blamed for everything that was wrong with the Jets.

But a closer look reveals that's not the case and Bradway helped lay the foundation for a Jets team that is making a stunning playoff push and appears to have a neon-bright future.

Under Bradway, the Jets went to the playoffs in three of five seasons and would've probably gone at least once more if QB Chad Pennington had stayed healthy. Pennington was injured in three of Bradway's five seasons.

Also, the Jets were able to retool on the fly without hitting rock bottom with a bunch of aging veterans.

If Bradway is guilty of anything during his reign, it's that he had a few bad free-agent signings -- what GM isn't? -- and he was too thin-skinned for the job.

Consider some of Bradway's moves:

He refused to sign DE John Abraham to a long-term deal and dealt him for a draft pick that turned out to be C Nick Mangold (29th overall). Abraham is having another injury-plagued season in Atlanta.

He moved up in the 2003 draft to select NT/DT Dewayne Robertson at No. 4 overall. Robertson is playing extremely well at NT and would be dominant at DT in a 4-3 scheme, which he was drafted to play.

Suddenly, the selection of DE Bryan Thomas at 22nd overall in 2002 doesn't look so bad. He's having a career year and recently signed a new deal.

The trade of the 2005 first-round pick (26th overall) that netted K Mike Nugent was solid even though TE Doug Jolley was a bust. Nugent has hit a career-high 13 straight FGs, including a 54- and 52-yarder.

Nine starters were drafted by Bradway, including LBs Jonathan Vilma and Victor Hobson, WR Jerricho Cotchery, safeties Kerry Rhodes and Eric Coleman and Robertson. KR Justin Miller was also a Bradway pick.

Players' coach Herm Edwards was what the Jets needed at the time in the aftermath of unpopular taskmaster Al Groh.

On the down side, Bradway still takes a hit for the Redskins raiding his roster in 2003, although it wasn't as bad as first thought. WR Laveranues Coles is back (at a huge price and at the expense of WR Santana Moss) but G Randy Thomas wasn't worth the megabucks the Redskins gave him and K John Hall and KR Chad Morton are average players.

Free-agent flops RB Derrick Blaylock and CB Aaron Beasley are hard to defend and Bradway made a big mistake by not re-signing RB Lamont Jordan before his price tag skyrocketed.

Even so, Bradway left the Jets in good shape.

Now director of player personnel, Bradway is keeping a low profile and was unavailable for comment. People close to him say he couldn't be happier scouting.

But there are rumblings that he's feeling rejuvenated and is thinking about taking another crack at a GM position.

Interestingly, word is Bradway would be interested in talking to the Giants about replacing the soon-to-be-retired Ernie Accorsi. He began his NFL career with the Giants in 1986 and remains close to many in the organization.

Bradway trading Gang Green for Big Blue? Stay tuned.

Believe me. You do NOT want him as your GM under any circumstances whatsoever.

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?....xml&coll=1

Believe me. You do NOT want him as your GM under any circumstances whatsoever.

:doh:

I don't mean this as a swipe, Exit, but your guys are playing way over their heads and are still 8-6. Full credit goes to Mangini and his guys, not Bradway. He left you with cap nightmares.

Although drafting Ferguson and Mangold made for a pretty nice April.

:doh:

I don't mean this as a swipe, Exit, but your guys are playing way over their heads and are still 8-6. Full credit goes to Mangini and his guys, not Bradway. He left you with cap nightmares.

Although drafting Ferguson and Mangold made for a pretty nice April.

Bradway is a great scout; he can recognize talent in the draft. He just is absolutely fucking horrible when it comes to free agents and signing contracts, as well as roster management. I'm sure Herm had a LOT to do with it.

And yeah, Jets are in way over their heads. Soft schedule and general over achieving. But I'll take it.

Bradway is a great scout; he can recognize talent in the draft. He just is absolutely fucking horrible when it comes to free agents and signing contracts, as well as roster management. I'm sure Herm had a LOT to do with it.

And yeah, Jets are in way over their heads. Soft schedule and general over achieving. But I'll take it.

I don't blame you in the least. You guys have been through hell the last couple years. You're due for some hope.

i think the pats locked up peoli but i might be wrong.

i saw this article as well, just cuz bradway leaked his name out there doesn't mena the giants are interested. he's not irish catholic, best friends with the mara's, or has a BC connection so he has no chance at joining this organization

i think the pats locked up peoli but i might be wrong.

i saw this article as well, just cuz bradway leaked his name out there doesn't mena the giants are interested. he's not irish catholic, best friends with the mara's, or has a BC connection so he has no chance at joining this organization

The Pats did lock up Pioli, but and this is a HUGE but he is not th GM, he is the director of pro personnel. Thus with the rules that apply for leaving for promotions(i.e under contract coordinators that leave for HC jobs)Pioli could leave the Pats. There could be some relevance to it, Pioli is a 1982 graduate of Washingtonville High school in NY and is a lifelong Giant fan, probably his dream job. I know that he is a Catholic as he attended CCD at ST Marys parish In Washingtonville, so thats not an issue :LMAO:

The Pats did lock up Pioli, but and this is a HUGE but he is not th GM, he is the director of pro personnel. Thus with the rules that apply for leaving for promotions(i.e under contract coordinators that leave for HC jobs)Pioli could leave the Pats. There could be some relevance to it, Pioli is a 1982 graduate of Washingtonville High school in NY and is a lifelong Giant fan, probably his dream job. I know that he is a Catholic as he attended CCD at ST Marys parish In Washingtonville, so thats not an issue :LMAO:

With a name like Pioli ... I guess his family is from Belfast. :P