SportsWrath

Bold Predictions

Sephiroth

With the season around the corner, it's time for us to make our bold predictions. Many of you will remember my brilliant and thoughtful predictions from 2007, 2009, and 2010, all of which came to fruition. Heck, I'm so good, you could just read this post and not even have to watch the season if you didn't want to. For these reasons, I'm making my top five predictions for this season... you can obviously take these to the bank.

1. This season is a reverse of every Tom Coughlin season so far. To this point, the Giants always come out of the gate fast, hit a midseason slump, and end up finishing somewhere between 8-8 and 10-6. This season however, the schedule is much more balanced. The Giants will hover around .500 for the entire season, hope somebody else in the NFC hits THEIR late-season slump, and try to sneak into the playoffs... which leads me to:

2. There will be no postseason for the Giants. The NFC is a tough-as-nails division this year. The West looks to be plenty tough, the North has at least three competitive teams, and the South will have a rejuvenated Saints team to pair with the Falcons. Any or all of those teams should end up with 10 wins. The Giants won't be able to beat out Washington for the division, which means they'll be watching the playoffs from their couches this year.

3. The defensive line will be a deadly death force of death. Tuck looks to be completely revitalized and will have his best season as a pro, barring injury. Kiwanuka is back at his natural position where he actually makes plays. Cullen Jenkins will prove to be an absolute beast, and Rogers, Joseph, Patterson, and Moore all look to be serviceable. The Giants good line play will allow them to take their time with JPP's return, which shouldn't happen until week 3 or so.

4. The rest of the defense will be terrible. The only real player of note in the defensive backfield is the Mook, and there's already some pretty bad injuries back there. Rolle is serviceable, but Webby and Ross are on the downsides of their careers, Hosely has shown nothing, and TT is one injury away from being your garbage man. Speaking of injuries... the Giants linebackers suck to begin with, and they'll probably be pulling guys off the street by week 4 to plug in at LB... and those are guys who can't outplay Dan Connor and Keith Rivers. There's no Chase Blackburn sitting out there waiting... they're going to be in some serious trouble. If the DL fails, expect some pretty awful and lopsided statistics for the once-proud unit.

5. David Wilson will have a breakout season. Eli, however, will only look average. Wilson has the tools to be an elite NFL back, and something tells me that once he gets that starting job, he's never looking back. I wouldn't be surprised if his blocking is actually downright good by midseason. Eli is going to have a hard time behind an aging, patchwork line... and let's face it, he's been pretty streaky throughout his career. I'd expect somewhere around a 58% completion percentage, 25 TDs, 20 INTs and about 3800 yards.

I think Eli has his best statistical season to date, in large part because I also think David Wilson will have a breakout season. That guy has nice hands, he might break out in the passing game as much as he does as a runner. And I'm also confident he'll learn to block - the man delivers a blow when he's running, so he has the tools, just very little experience.

Anyway... I foresee lots of little easy completions out of the backfield in Eli's near future, and a QB rating artificially above his normal.

I expect shit out of the defense. Maybe if JPP gets back up to speed... then maybe they won't suck too hard.

I don't think the schedule is too bad this season, I'd be disappointed with less than 10 wins. That would really suck to miss the playoffs with another 10 win season.

Season predictions.

Giants go 19-0. Eli throws for 48,000 yards and 298 TDs... loses MVP race to Johnny Manziel.

David Wilson rushes for 5000 yards on 100 carries. Averages 3TDs a game... gets snubbed from Pro Bowl.

Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz combine for 20000 yards and 100 TDs before Nicks goes down with a chipped toenail.

Justin Tuck breaks the NFL Career Sack record in the 1st qtr of week 1.

Prince Amukamara never intercepts again for his entire career a pass because of Tuck's dominance.

Steve Weatherford complains about lack of playing time and threatens to tear Eli in half after not stepping on the field at all through the first 10 games of the season.

I think Eli and the offense will be great this season, I've been telling m coworkers that the Giants will score 30 points per game....But the D is going to give up 35. Our secondary looks like it's future will be awesome once the younger guys lock down the positions, the dline looks okay, nothing special. Kiwi's career has been derailed so many times and Tuck has been average too long, I'm going to need to see it before I believe those guys bounce back. Of course there is nothing at linebacker, might be better off sticking a young safety up there.

If Diehl has played his last down as a regular starter, this offense can be one of the best in the league, easily. Because that would mean Pugh is strong and consistent enough, and that will help to rejuvenate Snee's play.

The defense is going to be sad. Assuming the defensive line can stop the run early on, we'll be good against that and the long ball early in the season. Tight ends and receiving RBs will kill us. That will force the backfield to be more active towards the line, until the long ball starts killing us towards the end of the season.

If the dline gets too many injuries and wears down, we're completely screwed.

I think Eli and the offense will be great this season, I've been telling m coworkers that the Giants will score 30 points per game....But the D is going to give up 35. Our secondary looks like it's future will be awesome once the younger guys lock down the positions, the dline looks okay, nothing special. Kiwi's career has been derailed so many times and Tuck has been average too long, I'm going to need to see it before I believe those guys bounce back. Of course there is nothing at linebacker, might be better off sticking a young safety up there.

This is the most talented and explosive offense Eli has ever had to work with. He "should" have a lot of success this season and if he doesn't we're not going anywhere I think it's that simple. I just don't see the significant improvement on defense we needed so we'll probably see them show up one week and disappear the next as usual. You hate to put any more weight on your quarterbacks shoulders than there already is but I really think it's all on Eli this season.