SportsWrath

Billy Wagner Now Leads Trevor Hoffman For Most Saves!

Plax 4 Prez

:rock: finally showing me he worth the money!!! :flex:

His name is even being mentioned in Cy Young discussions. Doubt he'll win it, but considering the fact that there really is no dominant starter in the NL, why not??

What I like is he's not throwing his slider as much, meaning he has confidence in his fastball again. :TU:

When Wagner is on, he's the next closest thing to automatic besides the guy who looks like a rat and pitches in the Bronx.

Wagner is so underrated this year. Aside from that meltdown against the Yanks, he's had a dominant season. Every closer blows a few saves and I think Billy has like 4.

The problem is that he makes nearly every game stressful. It always seems there is one guy on base during the inning that he pitches in. But he gets the job done, sometimes with the help of his defense like the two games I went to this year.

Wright's play against the Phils and the strike em out throw em out on Saturday against LA.

His name is even being mentioned in Cy Young discussions. Doubt he'll win it, but considering the fact that there really is no dominant starter in the NL, why not??

What I like is he's not throwing his slider as much, meaning he has confidence in his fastball again. :TU:

When Wagner is on, he's the next closest thing to automatic besides the guy who looks like a rat and pitches in the Bronx.

My wife thinks Rivera is good looking.

and yeah i heard about wagner being involved in the cy young race and it's a joke. first of all he's not even the best closer in the NL--as usual that title belongs to trevor hoffman

hoffman 1.83 era 0.96 whip 4 blown saves

wagner 2.14 era 1.07 whip 5 blown saves

hmmm, better save percentage, better era, better whip, pitches for a team that's 1/2 game out of first place in the tighest division in the majors and the leader in a tight wild card race. i'm not saying that hoffman should be in the cy young race either, but if any closer should be there it's him. in '98 the guy was 53/54 in save opportunities and the pads won 98 games and he lost out to glavine who didnt even have that great of a season that year, and gagne had to be perfect to win a cy young, so neither guy should even be inthe conversation

and yeah i heard about wagner being involved in the cy young race and it's a joke. first of all he's not even the best closer in the NL--as usual that title belongs to trevor hoffman

hmmm, better save percentage, better era, better whip, pitches for a team that's 1/2 game out of first place in the tighest division in the majors and the leader in a tight wild card race. i'm not saying that hoffman should be in the cy young race either, but if any closer should be there it's him. in '98 the guy was 53/54 in save opportunities and the pads won 98 games and he lost out to glavine who didnt even have that great of a season that year, and gagne had to be perfect to win a cy young, so neither guy should even be inthe conversation

It shouldn't matter, but people will remember the all star game that Hoffman blew for the NL... probably the Mets......... (I hope)

If you are going to throw records into the mix, then Wagner closes for the team with the best record in all of baseball, and I believe he leads the league in one run saves. He also has a much higher strikeouts per 9 inn. ratio, and a lower batting average against.

If you are going to throw records into the mix, then Wagner closes for the team with the best record in all of baseball, and I believe he leads the league in one run saves. He also has a much higher strikeouts per 9 inn. ratio, and a lower batting average against.

but the bottom line is save percentage, and not only does hoffman have wagner beat, but he has every closer who ever lived beat.

k/9, BAA are secondary stats. ERA and whip are more important. wang's k/9 sucks and he's a cy young candidate.

It shouldn't matter, but people will remember the all star game that Hoffman blew for the NL... probably the Mets......... (I hope)

the world series rarely goes 7 games anymore.

plus, if rolen were in at 3b like he should've been, or if cabrera werne't stupidly playing the 3rd base line then the game would've been over

but the bottom line is save percentage, and not only does hoffman have wagner beat, but he has every closer who ever lived beat.

k/9, BAA are secondary stats. ERA and whip are more important. wang's k/9 sucks and he's a cy young candidate.

Yeah figures the two stats Hoffman lead in, you consider more important. k/9 is an important stat. If you are striking guys out, they aren't putting the ball in play are they?

If Wang and Johan Santana had similar ERA's, Santana would win the award. Why? Strikeouts.

Yeah figures the two stats Hoffman lead in, you consider more important. k/9 is an important stat. If you are striking guys out, they aren't putting the ball in play are they?

If Wang and Johan Santana had similar ERA's, Santana would win the award. Why? Strikeouts.

me and the rest of the baseball community. come on, era and whip and wins/saves are always the 3 primary stats pitchers are judged by. if santana and wang had similar era's they'd look at wins, if wins were similar they'd look at whether the team made the playoffs, then maybe they'd look at k's. but you know what that makes k/9? a SECONDARY stat. plenty of great pitchers aren't great strikeout pitchers. greg maddux struck out 200 batters once. glavine's never done it, your boy david wells never did it either. it doesn't matter how you get the out, as long as you get it.