SportsWrath

MVP with a 2 run bomb

so-cal dub

Jeter is great, but he's not the MVP. How can you argue against these numbers?

.284, 43 HR, 116 RBI.

I know the Yankees are in first and Jeter has been a big part of that, but voters always look at numbers to decide the winner. Ortiz clearly has the numbers they want to see, and he's won a few games for them in dramatic fashion already this season.

Jeter is great, but he's not the MVP. How can you argue against these numbers?

.284, 43 HR, 116 RBI.

I know the Yankees are in first and Jeter has been a big part of that, but voters always look at numbers to decide the winner. Ortiz clearly has the numbers they want to see, and he's won a few games for them in dramatic fashion already this season.

Papi's numbers weren't good enough last year because he's a DH. Why are they suddenly good enough this year?

Last night I had a dream Ortiz retired mid-season and it cost him the MVP. If the Red Sox somehow win the division then I have no problem giving him the MVP. But I'd rather see how the last month and a half pans out first.

Papi's numbers weren't good enough last year because he's a DH. Why are they suddenly good enough this year?

If the fact that he's a DH really mattered THAT MUCH, he wouldn't even have sniffed the award last year. He finished second to A-Rod who had similar numbers and MAYBE was given the benefit of being a position player. It could have went either way last year and the DH argument made sense only because it was that close. It's not close this year, unless you look at Hafner's numbers.

If the fact that he's a DH really mattered THAT MUCH, he wouldn't even have sniffed the award last year. He finished second to A-Rod who had similar numbers and MAYBE was given the benefit of being a position player. It could have went either way last year and the DH argument made sense only because it was that close. It's not close this year, unless you look at Hafner's numbers.

the red sox have tanked once again. Last year they had like a 6 game lead and the yankees won the divison, many people voted for arod just b.c of that alone. The red sox could easily finish this 8-10 games out.

Look at Morneau's numbers for the Twins. The guy is very close to ortiz and he's carrying the twins, who are overplaying.

Jeter in my mind won a lot of votes in this series with 2 very very clutch hits and the red sox look like fools. Then ortiz cant even make it to 3rd on a bunt. Jeter is just a more complete player than him and the writers would love to have Jeter win an mvp.

It's going to be closer than people think. A lot of it (like every year) depends on what happens in September. A-rod and Vlad won the last 2 years because of their septembers.

the red sox have tanked once again. Last year they had like a 6 game lead and the yankees won the divison, many people voted for arod just b.c of that alone. The red sox could easily finish this 8-10 games out.

Look at Morneau's numbers for the Twins. The guy is very close to ortiz and he's carrying the twins, who are overplaying.

Jeter in my mind won a lot of votes in this series with 2 very very clutch hits and the red sox look like fools. Then ortiz cant even make it to 3rd on a bunt. Jeter is just a more complete player than him and the writers would love to have Jeter win an mvp.

It's going to be closer than people think. A lot of it (like every year) depends on what happens in September. A-rod and Vlad won the last 2 years because of their septembers.

I think Jeter deserves serious consideration, but like I said, the voters almost always go with the power guy. If Ortiz winds up hitting 50+ HR and drives in 140+ RBI, he will certainly win it, especially if the Sox hang around in the Wild Card race.

If Ortiz winds up hitting 50+ HR and drives in 140+ RBI, he will certainly win it, especially if the Sox hang around in the Wild Card race.

But if they dont, it's whole other story. Plus you have to consider Mauer if the Twins get in. Which I think would swing the votes heavy in his favor.

But if they dont, it's whole other story. Plus you have to consider Mauer if the Twins get in. Which I think would swing the votes heavy in his favor.

Yes Mauer is also a serious contender. I had no idea he was having that good of a season until I looked at his stats yesterday. Jeter is a longshot. He just doesn't have the numbers to win it.

Yes Mauer is also a serious contender. I had no idea he was having that good of a season until I looked at his stats yesterday. Jeter is a longshot. He just doesn't have the numbers to win it.

How do you figure? He's in the top 5 in just about every stat except homers and he's second in average. I wouldn't go as far to say a longshot. Mind you these votes favor playoff contenders alot more. Mauer would probably take it IF the Twins get in and the Sox dont but I wouldn't call him a longshot.

How do you figure? He's in the top 5 in just about every stat except homers and he's second in average. I wouldn't go as far to say a longshot. Mind you these votes favor playoff contenders alot more. Mauer would probably take it IF the Twins get in and the Sox dont but I wouldn't call him a longshot.

Because the voters are in love with power numbers, and Jeter doesn't have them. Boston is STILL a playoff contender, despite the way the Yankees wiped their asses with them, so I'd be very surprised if Ortiz stays on his current pace and doesn't win it.

Because the voters are in love with power numbers, and Jeter doesn't have them. Boston is STILL a playoff contender, despite the way the Yankees wiped their asses with them, so I'd be very surprised if Ortiz stays on his current pace and doesn't win it.

yeah and those same voters are all in love with jeter, they've been waiting to give him an mvp for soooo long now.

Trust me, Boston aint making the show this year.

they didn't give a-rod the MVP a few years back because he didnt make the playoffs with the rangers even though he clearly deserved it...i have a feeling that those two game winning hits in the boston series have changed the tide a little..not to say that ortiz is out of the race...

and 2 more HRs yesterday for jeter

they didn't give a-rod the MVP a few years back because he didnt make the playoffs with the rangers even though he clearly deserved it...i have a feeling that those two game winning hits in the boston series have changed the tide a little..not to say that ortiz is out of the race...

and 2 more HRs yesterday for jeter

A-Rod won the MVP in 2003 playing for a last place team. That was ridiculous. I guess the voters were just kissing his new 250 million dollar ass.

I don't think Jeter deserves it. He has a high average.... There are plenty of players on contending teams with much better all around numbers, playing in lineups alot less stacked than the Yankees.

How come Vlad isn't mentioned here?

A-Rod won the MVP in 2003 playing for a last place team. That was ridiculous. I guess the voters were just kissing his new 250 million dollar ass.

I don't think Jeter deserves it. He has a high average.... There are plenty of players on contending teams with much better all around numbers, playing in lineups alot less stacked than the Yankees.

How come Vlad isn't mentioned here?

I am talking about 2002 when he finished second behind Tejada

Thats the thing though...the fact that everyone in the Yankees line-up has been out with injuries yet Jeter has been there the whole time and has led the team to one of the best record in baseball and is having maybe the best season of his career...

Vlad started slow and is not in the discussion for the same reason Ortiz might not win it...check the standings

I am talking about 2002 when he finished second behind Tejada

Thats the thing though...the fact that everyone in the Yankees line-up has been out with injuries yet Jeter has been there the whole time and has led the team to one of the best record in baseball and is having maybe the best season of his career...

Vlad started slow and is not in the discussion for the same reason Ortiz might not win it...check the standings

Anaheim can still win the West.

By saying "everyone" I guess that means Matsui and Sheffield? Jeter stills hits in a lineup that includes Damon, Cano, Giambi, A-Rod, Posada, Williams, and now Abreu. Everyone of those guys is, or was, an All Star. Jeter is NOT carrying the Yankees.