SportsWrath

Jon Beason

Nas

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/giants-insider-jon-beason-hoping-stay-blue-middle-article-1.2138063

Linebacker Jon Beason, who some speculated might be cut this offseason, said on SiriusXM that he expects to return to the Giants next season, but he will likely do so on a reworked contract.

Beason is scheduled to count for $6.69 million toward the cap in 2015, but he said he is “trying to come to terms” with the club on a renegotiated deal. “That’s the nature of the game,” Beason said. “I’ve learned to be a businessperson about it.”

He added that he wants to return to East Rutherford and he’s confident things will work out.

“I want to be a Giant,” he said. “They took a chance on me when other people may have thought I was done. You want to go up and hold up your end of the bargain.”

Beason joined the Giants in an early season trade in 2013 with the Carolina Panthers, instantly stabilizing a shaky ‘D’ and earning a three-year contract extension. But he barely played last season, struggling through a toe injury before eventually landing on injured reserve.

He has dealt with injuries throughout his career and has not played a full 16-game season since 2010.

“When healthy, I still feel like I’m the best in the business,” he said, “and no one can keep up with me.”

THIS AND THAT

With free agency just days away, it appears that veteran safety Antrel Rolle will hit the open market. But the Giants are trying to bring back safety Stevie Brown. One source familiar with the talks said his return was “50-50” at this point. Brown, like all unrestricted free agents, can talk to other teams, but can’t sign with anyone but the Giants until Tuesday at 4 p.m. . . . The Giants tendered TE Larry Donnell, one of their two “exclusive rights” free agents. He’ll return next season on a one-year, $585,000 deal. . . . CB Walt Thurmond, who played in just two games with the Giants before tearing a pectoral muscle, LBs Jacquian Williams and Spencer Paysinger are among the other Giants free agents expected to hit the open market, along with TE Daniel Fells if more progress in negotiations isn’t made in the next few days. . . .

The Giants have set the schedule for their offseason activities. Their first optional OTA workout will be held May 27. The club will hold its mandatory veteran minicamp from June 16-18.. . . DE Damontre Moore was photographed at Texas A&M’s Pro Day with a sling on his right shoulder. He battled shoulder issues through much of 2014. . . . The Giants attended the Pro Day of Tuskegee offensive lineman Matthew Reese. . . . According to a source, WR Jerrel Jernigan will not be re-signed by the Giants and is hitting the free agent market. Jernigan finished with six catches last season.

Have to question at this point if that was more on Beason or the guys who were here before him.

Not sure what you mean? Beason came in and our D became instantly better. If he's able to stay on the field, our LB corp much superior without him.

Not sure what you mean? Beason came in and our D became instantly better. If he's able to stay on the field, our LB corp much superior without him.

If you're comparing our defense pre-Beason and post-Beason, there are two aspects that go into it: Beason, and the defense pre-Beason. The question is, how much of the turnaround can be credited to Beason being good/great and how much can be credited to how bad the defense was before Beason.

There's no doubting his coming in was an improvement. But I'm wondering if some of the turnaround wasn't a result of how bad the guys were playing before.

Debbie Downer much? :)

LoL I think I'm the most positive Giants fan on the board! When it comes to Jon Beason I see a great football player who never achieved his potential because of injuries throughout his career. Sure he might be another rare injury free season and we need it I don't need the magic 8 ball telling me the outcome is doubtful. I would love to see Devon Kennard in at MLB though.

LoL I think I'm the most positive Giants fan on the board! When it comes to Jon Beason I see a great football player who never achieved his potential because of injuries throughout his career. Sure he might be another rare injury free season and we need it I don't need the magic 8 ball telling me the outcome is doubtful. I would love to see Devon Kennard in at MLB though.

I'm rooting for Beason... I'm not one who holds injuries against a player... my experience tells me those who play hard (and are in on every play) get hurt... those with clean uniforms don't really get hurt. I love Beason and I want to see him and Kennard on the field at the same time. And I think the Giants will have the best of both worlds... we will have Beason and we will draft a future MLB.

I'm rooting for Beason... I'm not one who holds injuries against a player... my experience tells me those who play hard (and are in on every play) get hurt... those with clean uniforms don't really get hurt. I love Beason and I want to see him and Kennard on the field at the same time. And I think the Giants will have the best of both worlds... we will have Beason and we will draft a future MLB.

I hope Kennard is that MLB of the future. Been thinking the last couple of days if the Giants take care of the secondary and offensive line in free agency it gives them a decent chance at drafting a damn good linebacker. I know there is very little hope of it since the combine but, Dante Fowler Jr. at 9 would be FUCKING AMAZING.

I hope Kennard is that MLB of the future. Been thinking the last couple of days if the Giants take care of the secondary and offensive line in free agency it gives them a decent chance at drafting a damn good linebacker. I know there is very little hope of it since the combine but, Dante Fowler Jr. at 9 would be FUCKING AMAZING.

Chances of Fowler falling to 9? :D

Yeah I think I mentioned a week or so ago Fowler is my favorite right now.

Pass rusher is where I think they go. Most likely get Gregory though