SportsWrath

What position are we worse off - LB or CB?

BleedinBlue

I've been giving it a lot of thought after reading several thousand threads about the disaster that is due to not picking a handful of LB's in the draft. And I agree...would've been nice to pick up a stud if there was one available to us...and yeah, Greene would've been a nice pickup even though he's a WILL and is super fast, but not very physical and most analysts think he should switch to safety, but I digress.

Anyway...the more I study, the more I worry about our CB situation than I do our LB. I feel confident with Prince...but that's where it ends for me. Webster seems to have lost the fire in the belly. Hosely is quick, but short and thin and can get pushed around by bigger receivers and isn't a great tackler...although, in all fairness, maybe he put weight and muscle on during the off season - but that doesn't help his height and it probably slows him down if he put on 15 - 20 new pounds. TT is coming off yet another torn ACL, Ross is a big ???? in my mind. The Giants picked up Pittsburg's throw away (Terrance Frederick) making me wonder why he was waived by the Steelers. Truman McBride might have the most promise having 5 years exp in the NFL on 4 different teams (Chicago, Arizona, New Orleans, and Jax).

I don't know...it seems to me the CB position is where we are going to get burned a lot this year.

We're kicking the tires on LB's and Kick Returners, but no CB's. And if you look at the kids in mini-camp this weekend, do you see any CB's on that list?

Drafted Players:

LT Justin Pugh Syracuse

DT Jonathan Hankins Ohio State

OG Damontre Moore Texas A&M

QB Ryan Nassib Syracuse

S Cooper Taylor Richmond U

OG Eric Herman Ohio U

RB Michael Cox UMass

UDFA "SIGNINGS":

TE Chase Clement LSU

WR Marcus Davis Virginia Tech

LB Charles Dieuseul Mount Union

DB Charles James Charleston Southern

LB Etienne Sabino Ohio State

S Alonzo Tweedy Virginia Tech

RB Jeremy Wright Louisville

ROOKIE CAMP TRYOUT PLAYERS

QB Wilson Masoud Bethel

P Cass Couey Citadel

G/C Kitt OBrien Ball State

S Darren Thellen UMass

long-snapper Brandon Gabbard SE Missouri St

G Seve Rivers East Stroudsburg

LT/C Jordan Mosley Johnson C. Smith U.

DT Justin Blash Albany State

OT Kirby Fabien University of Calgary

QB Derek Carr Tenn.-Martin

Hell, we've brought in 2 more QB's to try out along with a drafted QB.

Where's a CB? Does anyone see one on that list or hear of one coming in for a tryout???

I think we seriously need to look at some options at CB or it's going to be a long season watching our opponents get 50 yd+ TD's.

CBs all depend on Webster. If he returns to 2011 form, we'll be okay with him and Prince and Hosely. If Webster comes back in 2012 form for the 2013 season, we're in some serious trouble. That said, even if Webster has a much improved season over last, I think the Giants made a huge mistake not finding a CB in the draft this year, not so much to cover 2013, but to go into 2014 with another young guy to go with Prince and Hosely going forward. I'd actually put the CB need over the LB need at this point.

I think both positions will see a drastic improvement over last year without the need of a draft pick which is why there weren't any. I have little faith in street free agents coming in and making either position better as well. Last year the defense sucked because the defensive line was horrible. Younger players and veterans were added to the line via the draft and free agency. We are going to see a vastly improved defensive line this year if we keep everyone healthy.

I think both positions will see a drastic improvement over last year without the need of a draft pick which is why there weren't any. I have little faith in street free agents coming in and making either position better as well. Last year the defense sucked because the defensive line was horrible. Younger players and veterans were added to the line via the draft and free agency. We are going to see a vastly improved defensive line this year if we keep everyone healthy.

That's the spirit :TU: (and I agree fully)

A lot rides on Webster. I don't expect we'll see him play as badly as he did last year. I think we are going to see a major bounce back year, or something inbetween the Webster of 2011 and the one of 2012. I think we're at critical mass if Connor and Rivers continue to get hurt, though.