SportsWrath

Paysinger - ready to step up

BleedinBlue

Nice article from Inside Football:

Spencer Paysinger: The New York Giants’ Forgotten Linebacker -

Third-year Undrafted Free Agent Aspires to Become a Starting Linebacker

Since Jerry Reese became the general manager of the New York Giants in 2007, the team has drafted a total of eight linebackers in the hopes of finding at least one--if not more--who could form the foundation at the position.

However, the Giants, who didn't draft at this position in the 2013 NFL draft, have had more misses than hits in this area, and oddly enough, they have had more success with guys who began their careers as free agents, such as Chase Blackburn (now with Carolina) and, before him, Antonio Pierce, who began his career with the Redskins as an undrafted free agent.

Spencer Paysinger, entering his third season out of Oregon, is hoping to be among the next of the great undrafted free agents to get a shot at becoming a regular contributor to the Giants' defense.

When Paysinger signed with the team following the 2011 lockout, he was widely regarded as a long shot. However, it didn't take long before he was earning snaps with the first-string unit when Michael Boley, then the starting weakside linebacker, started dealing with injuries.

Paysinger, who was listed as 6-2, 236 lbs. at of the end of last season, soon carved out a niche for himself on special teams, where he's been one of the more consistent performers for the last two seasons. And with the linebacking unit about to undergo what's become an annual re-staffing, he's been preparing himself for the challenge of a bigger role.

Preparing for the Next Step

There is an old saying, "preparation is in the detail," and this is something Paysinger has taken to heart.

That's why this offseason, he has been even more meticulous in mapping out every detail of his preparation for the 2013 season, from how he trains, to how he recovers; from what he focuses on when watching films, to visualizing himself mimicking what he sees on tape.

In fact, he was so driven to begin his preparation that he wasted no time in getting started. After returning to his home in southern California, Paysinger spent about a week and a half catching up with family and friends before jumping right back into a carefully constructed regimen of weights, stretching, conditioning, and film study.

"I didn't like how the year ended and I wanted to get started right away," he said of the sense of urgency he felt to get started. "But more importantly, I don't like being idle. I don't like sitting around knowing that I can do something and I'm not. It would eat at me if I sat on the couch watching television when I know I can do something to get ready for the new season."

Paysinger's offseason plan consisted of a balanced mix that, in addition to weight lifting, included acupuncture, stretching, and mixed martial arts.

"I definitely know my body a lot more," he said of his workout regimen. "I came into the league two years ago at 233 lbs. and now I'm about 245 lbs. and I feel like I haven't lost a step. I've been trying to broaden my awareness of what I can do with my body--not just going into the weight room and lifting every heavy weight I can get my hands on."

He's also developed a fondness for hot yoga, which involves performing and holding a series of poses for about 30 seconds a piece in climate-controlled rooms of 95 degrees or higher.

"I felt like it was time to take things a step further, so I reached out to Jennifer Pastiloff, who's a well-known yoga instructor in the Los Angeles area," Paysinger said of how he came across hot yoga. "We ended up having a bunch of one-on-one sessions that I think have prepared my body in a way it's never been prepared before in terms of overall stretching and ability, and working those muscles you really can't work out in the weight room."

There's another yoga-related benefit that Paysinger is hoping to realize.

"When you get heavier, bigger, and bulkier, it's natural for you to lose a step or two when it comes to agility," he said. "By doing yoga and acupuncture and revving up my on-field work, it's allowed me to counteract any lost steps."

He also noted that hot yoga has been helping him boost his mental toughness while at the same time preparing him for the rigors of the upcoming summer training camp, often held in nearly unbearable temperatures.

"I like to say that training and practicing should always be harder than the game," he said. "So if I'm putting myself through hell right now, that's just going to make things better for me when the season comes."

"The More You Know…"

In the New York Giants' locker room, one of the ideals that head coach Tom Coughlin wants his players to embrace is "the more you know, the better."

That school of thought is certainly alive and well in the team's linebacker room, where all of the players are asked to know at least two of the three positions. This knowledge, if demonstrated to the coaches' satisfaction, allows defensive coordinator Perry Fewell the luxury of becoming more creative with various substitutions and packages.

As a result, Paysinger has been focusing on increasing his knowledge of both outside linebacker positions.

"The WIL (weakside) and SAM (strongside) positions mimic each other, and there are very minimal differences in our defense," he said, noting that he's also been spending time in the film room to learn tricks in order to sharpen his techniques and improve his recognition.

He's also not averse to playing in the middle if the team needs him there for depth, noting that in some of the substitute packages of which he's been a part, he's played a pseudo middle linebacker spot in having lined up between the tackles.

That experience, he believes, should help him with the transition if he's called to that spot.

"Truthfully, there's not too much preparation in terms of body composition or things you have to do [to play the middle linebacker spot]. It pretty much comes down to learning the different terminology that goes with outside linebacker as opposed to the middle.

"I've played between the tackles in college and with the Giants, even though with the Giants I was classified as an outside linebacker in the defense. We've always had at least two linebackers playing in between the tackles, so I feel confident that I could play there, if needed."

He also feels comfortable with the thought of calling out the plays, typically the job of the middle linebacker, if he's given that role.

"That's more mental, whether it's studying a little bit more or studying a different way," he said. "If it comes to it, maybe I'll reach out to past greats like AP (Antonio Pierce) to figure out how they used to study as the 'Mike.'"

Remembering Where He Came From

When the 2013 season does come along, Paysinger, who still approaches every practice and every game as though he's one step away from being tossed out onto the street, is hoping to reap the benefits of his hard work, and to contribute toward the Giants' goal of becoming the first NFL team in history to host and play in a Super Bowl in their own stadium.

"I don't think I'll ever have that chip off my shoulder," he said when asked about not taking his roster spot for granted. "Being undrafted and coming to New York, one of the biggest cities in the world, and making the team not once, but twice-that's always something that hit my heart and that's going to be relevant in my play."

So far, he's noticed that he's quicker than he was last year, something he hopes to continue working on. He's also hoping to enter the season somewhere in the 242-245 pound range, and feels that he's getting a lot closer to becoming the kind of player that he thinks he can be.

"I'm going in this year with the mindset that I want to help this team as much as possible, whether it is on defense or primarily on special teams," he said. "I'm not going to take a play lightly or take anything for granted because I want to be on this team, and it was this team that gave me a chance when nobody else did. I feel like I can come in and show them that growth in my third year."

Patricia Traina is a New Jersey-based, accredited sportswriter who covers the New York Giants for Inside Football and the Sports Xchange. She is also a member of the Professional Football Writers of America. Follow her on Twitter @Patricia_Traina.

"We ended up having a bunch of one-on-one sessions that I think have prepared my body in a way it's never been prepared before in terms of overall stretching and ability, and working those muscles you really can't work out in the weight room."

Anyone else take this as Paysinger banging a yoga chick?

What I like about him is his hunger - both for getting more athletic and fit and for a better understanding of the game. When players get comfortable in their role, they start to slack off. On the Giants' team, there is virtually no future for defensive players that become slackers. And thank heavens, there's a lot of competitive youngsters waiting their turn and giving everything they've got to improve.

And yeah...he's probably nailing the yoga instructor. Most of those women are great looking and most important, flexible!! And they like big strong guys from the NFL.

I'm with joe on this one.

We can't continue to completely neglect a position and try and fill it with the Spencer Paysingers and Mark Herzlichs of the world.

This article doesn't get me excited at all. It's like they say, "you can't polish a turd."

"We ended up having a bunch of one-on-one sessions that I think have prepared my body in a way it's never been prepared before in terms of overall stretching and ability, and working those muscles you really can't work out in the weight room."

Anyone else take this as Paysinger banging a yoga chick?

LMAO!!!!

I'm with joe on this one.

We can't continue to completely neglect a position and try and fill it with the Spencer Paysingers and Mark Herzlichs of the world.

This article doesn't get me excited at all. It's like they say, "you can't polish a turd."

Here's what came to mind when I read this article...

payless1.jpg

Dude, unless Dansby or Daryl Smith gets inked, we are in fucking trouble.

He's also developed a fondness for hot yoga, which involves performing and holding a series of poses for about 30 seconds a piece in climate-controlled rooms of 95 degrees or higher.

"I felt like it was time to take things a step further, so I reached out to Jennifer Pastiloff, who's a well-known yoga instructor in the Los Angeles area," Paysinger said of how he came across hot yoga. "We ended up having a bunch of one-on-one sessions that I think have prepared my body in a way it's never been prepared before in terms of overall stretching and ability, and working those muscles you really can't work out in the weight room."

Jennifer Pastiloff....

lululemon1.jpg

All joking aside, Bleedin....thanks for the post, and trust me, I'm really hoping that Paysinger can step up in a big way.

But I can only go with what I've seen from the current roster at this point.....a defense that looked every bit of it's 31st ranking.

All joking aside, Bleedin....thanks for the post, and trust me, I'm really hoping that Paysinger can step up in a big way.

But I can only go with what I've seen from the current roster at this point.....a defense that looked every bit of it's 31st ranking.

Amani Toomer revived his career when took on a different training regimen. Any player who takes up Yoga is a huge plus in my book... an advice I need to take.