SportsWrath

Pat Summerall RIP

fringe

"Pat was my broadcasting partner for a long time, but more than that he was my friend for all of these years. We never had one argument, and that was because of Pat. He was a great broadcaster and a great man. He always had a joke. Pat never complained and we never had an unhappy moment. He was something very special. Pat Summerall is the voice of football and always will be." — John Madden

___

"Pat Summerall was one of the best friends and greatest contributors that the NFL has known. He spent 50 years as part of our league, first as a player on the legendary New York Giants teams of the late '50s and early '60s and then as a Hall of Fame broadcaster for CBS and FOX. His majestic voice was treasured by millions of NFL fans for more than four decades. Pat always represented the essence of class and friendship. It is a sad day in the NFL." — NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell

"Pat will always be a great Giant. He was one of my father's favorites, and his game-winning kick in the snow against the Browns in 1958 is one of the most memorable plays in our franchise's history. And Pat was a true gentleman and the voice of the NFL for generations of fans." — Giants president and CEO John Mara

___

My father told me the "Summeral beats the Browns" story many times through my youth and I loved hearing it every time. Great details - the swirling snow in the Yankee Stadium lights, the cold and wind, with little confidence and growing despair hanging over the crowd.....hearing the thump, seeing the ball wobble through the snow, hanging up forever.....and the explosion of sound rocking the Stadium when it dropped over the crossbar. He was there, as he was for nearly every game between the 40s and 80s and that Summerall story was one of his favorites to tell right through his final years. I guess that's why I'm feeling a strong link today between Pat and my Dad, who's gone 2 1/2 years now. RIP, Pat and thanks for the memories.

My father told me the "Summeral beats the Browns" story many times through my youth and I loved hearing it every time. Great details - the swirling snow in the Yankee Stadium lights, the cold and wind, with little confidence and growing despair hanging over the crowd.....hearing the thump, seeing the ball wobble through the snow, hanging up forever.....and the explosion of sound rocking the Stadium when it dropped over the crossbar. He was there, as he was for nearly every game between the 40s and 80s and that Summerall story was one of his favorites to tell right through his final years. I guess that's why I'm feeling a strong link today between Pat and my Dad, who's gone 2 1/2 years now. RIP, Pat and thanks for the memories.

and RIP your Dad. Mine's been gone for 13 years now and the sports connections still loom large.

and RIP your Dad. Mine's been gone for 13 years now and the sports connections still loom large.

My Old Man has been dead since 2007 at age 88....he hated the Giants except when they played the Cowboys, 49'ers and the Steelers. Then it was KILL THEM... :LMAO: They (our Dads) were some great men... :cheers: