SportsWrath

Why you should love the Kiwanuka pick

HOUND

10 lbs. won't do it. You are absolutely clueless as you try and put a positive spin on a disastrous weekend for the Giants organization.

C'mon...No matter what happened you fools would be in disagreement over it.

Stale as yesterdays bread.

Maybe if THIS didn't happen to Kiwanuka, he plays a full season his senior year.

I saw that on Sunday. I wouldn't be surprised if this o-linemen earned himself a ticket to the Broncos with that cheapshot.

A must read article on Kiwanuka

Kiwanuka has higher goals than the NFL

Chadd Cripe

The Idaho Statesman | Edition Date: 12-26-2005

Email This ArticlePrinter Friendly Page

Mathias Kiwanuka has big plans for his fame and almost-certain fortune.

He's not thinking about sports cars and mansions, either.

He's thinking about hungry children and the AIDS epidemic.

Kiwanuka, whose paternal grandfather Benedicto Kiwanuka was the first prime minister of Uganda, wants to help the East African country any way he can — even if that means joining the very political system that led to his grandfather's torture and execution.

He will wrap up his college football career Wednesday against Boise State in the MPC Computers Bowl. He's a likely first-round pick in April's NFL Draft.

"I want to leave that open until I go back to Uganda and see what exactly the country needs the most, what way I can help," Kiwanuka said of possible political aspirations. "... I've gotten a lot of attention. There's got to be a bigger reason God put me in the position I am in. If I can help bring attention to a good cause, that's absolutely the least I could do."

Kiwanuka (pronounced Kee-wah-NOO-kuh) was raised in Indianapolis and has visited Uganda just once, as a third-grader. It was a life-altering trip that started with a mother's lesson.

His mother, Deodata, gave each of her three children $100 to spend at a candy store before they left. Kiwanuka called it "heaven," until his mother confiscated the stash.

The next time he saw the candy his mother was passing it out to children in Uganda.

Kiwanuka's parents fled Uganda separately after Benedicto's death, then married here, but the majority of their family remains in Uganda.

"You hear a lot about poverty on TV," Kiwanuka said earlier this year at an Atlantic Coast Conference media gathering. "But when it's our cousin or uncle living in those conditions, it takes you back."

The other lesson Kiwanuka learned on that trip was the power of one motivated, compassionate man. His grandfather was known as a champion of education, women's rights and the common man.

Strangers in Uganda and the United States have told him what a great man Benedicto was.

"If you can change one person's life so dramatically," Kiwanuka told the ACC media, "that a couple decades later they still remember you as his grandchild and come up and shake your hand, that's something that is unmatched."

Kiwanuka shows loyalty to his parents' homeland with a Ugandan flag that hangs in his Boston residence, and honors his grandfather with a 5-inch tattoo of the Ugandan presidential seal on his back.

He already has started to raise awareness about the problems that plague Uganda by telling his story to the media the past couple years. He hopes to begin helping the country after he completes his first season in the NFL.

Already, companies and small groups have offered to help him.

"It's improving," Kiwanuka said of Uganda, "but there's still a lot of turmoil going on. The biggest thing right now is the AIDS epidemic and how far it's gone ravaging the country."

Kiwanuka credits his mother for putting him in position to help the country.

His parents divorced when he was in sixth grade, and his mother raised him by herself. Deodata worked up to 20 hours a day and up to three jobs at a time to put her children through private Catholic schools.

She owns a professional cleaning business now and still sends money to family in Uganda. Deodata and her other two children will be in Boise for the MPC Bowl.

"The example she set definitely was instrumental in my life," Kiwanuka said. "She had that standpoint that nothing is more important than education."

That background made Kiwanuka a perfect fit for Boston College, even though he was barely recruited out of high school. He was 6-foot-61/2 and a twiggy 195 pounds. The Eagles only noticed him because they were recruiting Kiwanuka's good friend, offensive tackle Jeremy Trueblood.

Four-plus years later, Kiwanuka is the team's star player and already has earned his bachelor's degree in psychology. He took master's classes this semester.

"If ever you were going to take a chance on an individual," BC coach Tom O'Brien said, "he's the type of guy you'd want to take a chance on."

Kiwanuka and Trueblood ended up at BC together, so they've been teammates for nine years — all of high school and college.

Trueblood, like everyone else at BC, lauds Kiwanuka for his personality as much as his talent.

"If you want a friend, he's the man you'd want your friend to be," Trueblood said. "The best thing is how he cares about everyone."

Except opposing quarterbacks.

Kiwanuka bulked up to 6-foot-7, 262 pounds and turned into one of those rare terrors in football — a tall, powerful, fast, tenacious pass rusher.

That's why he soon will earn millions.

Kiwanuka made 111/2 sacks each in 2003 and 2004 and was named Big East Defensive Player of the Year last season. He passed on the NFL a year ago because he didn't want to miss one more season of training from BC defensive line coach Keith Willis.

"From Day One, he saw something in me that maybe I didn't even see in myself," Kiwanuka said.

His production slipped to 91/2 sacks this year because of a knee injury caused by a cheap shot. He missed one game and was hampered briefly in his return.

Kiwanuka dominated again in the last two games, recording a total of six sacks and 17 tackles against North Carolina State and Maryland.

"I'm excited to see him play right now, because I know he'll be ready to go," senior center Patrick Ross said. "... When you see some of the plays he makes, it's like, 'Wow.' "

His background elicits a similar reaction.

10 lbs. won't do it. You are absolutely clueless as you try and put a positive spin on a disastrous weekend for the Giants organization.

Seriously...Are you ever going to say something positive about the Giants? :confused:

Maybe if THIS didn't happen to Kiwanuka, he plays a full season his senior year.

haha, well, if the Giants didnt draft him, he plays a full season in the NFL...

I saw that on Sunday. I wouldn't be surprised if this o-linemen earned himself a ticket to the Broncos with that cheapshot.

Actually Buffalo drafted Butler. But that's a perfect fit to go with the rest of the trainwreck that was the Bills draft!

Guest Floyd The Barber

this guy will have a very insignifigant role in our defense...with Justin Tuck developing into a very very good player, and Eric Moore finally getting a shake at 100 % health, this 6 foot 7 featherweight wont touch the field until he looks more like a football player and less like a basketball player...

this guy will have a very insignifigant role in our defense...with Justin Tuck developing into a very very good player, and Eric Moore finally getting a shake at 100 % health, this 6 foot 7 featherweight wont touch the field until he looks more like a football player and less like a basketball player...

What round was tuck drafted in!?!??!?!

You never stop the stupidity..

an LB and Dt where drafted after....

Every first rounder is a HOF'er....

It's not even worth replying to you morons anymore....

Guest Floyd The Barber
What round was tuck drafted in!?!??!?!

You never stop the stupidity..

an LB and Dt where drafted after....

Every first rounder is a HOF'er....

It's not even worth replying to you morons anymore....

he will not have a role in our defense...mark my words...once he lines up vs. a 315lb. tackle with half the skill of D'Brick he will be rendered useless...he is supposedly horrendous vs. the run, and you ever see him rush ?? he doenst run , he lumbers and looks like Frankenstein

he will not have a role in our defense...mark my words...once he lines up vs. a 315lb. tackle with half the skill of D'Brick he will be rendered useless...he is supposedly horrendous vs. the run, and you ever see him rush ?? he doenst run , he lumbers and looks like Frankenstein

you placed bets last year as to Moore not making the team, now you look to him for a contribution!?!?!

I don;t really like the pick myself but give the kid a break, we haven't seen anything from him yet...

In the rankings I have read he was #2 behind mario....for DE position...

Guest Floyd The Barber
you placed bets last year as to Moore not making the team, now you look to him for a contribution!?!?!

I don;t really like the pick myself but give the kid a break, we haven't seen anything from him yet...

In the rankings I have read he was #2 behind mario....for DE position...

and did Eric Moore contribute in any sort of fashion last season, other than mop up end of the season special teams work ??

and did Eric Moore contribute in any sort of fashion last season, other than mop up end of the season special teams work ??

He was not supposed to suite up.........he played..you where wrong...again...

and now with the comming year you think he will contriubute....

the mind boggles....

Horrible against the run???? What games were you watching? He finished with similar tackle numbers to Mario Williams. Is he a scrub against the run too?

Great read Pizan. Thanks for the article.

I think given that we didnt need to draft a starter at any positions, we had the flexibility to draft the player that we thought had the best combination of potential/talent/character/production and work ethic, regardless of position. I think that there are fewer players in the entire draft with as great a combination of these than Kiwi.

As has been said many times, he's an incredibly hard worker (you see where he gets it from by reading about his and his families history) and now he has an opportunity to learn from the best. He might not be a huge force this year. But in a year or two, Kiwi, Osi and Tuck should give us hands down the best rotation of pass rushers in the entire league.

Im happy to know that with a core group of: Osi, Kiwi, Tuck, AP, Arrington, Gibril, Webster, Demps and Joseph that our defense will be a force for years to come.